IGNORED

Clear plastic case for the Atari 800

600XL or XEGS I think might be best suited to a transparent case.  You'd need to lose the shielding (top at least) to make it worthwhile.

Keyboard would hide much of the internals so maybe XEGS would be the preferable one.

1200XL would probably be OK in terms of being able to see lots of the innards but it's probably the best looking of the later machines and best left alone.

30 minutes ago, joeventura said:

That cage is easily removed and tossed aside no?

Not quite. It is a part that holds some elements and keeps the whole computer together. For instance, the PSU board is screwed to it. So it is possible to make an acrylic case but it would need to play as a support as well, which makes it much more complex than just a simple casing for XL or XE machines.

Edited by Peri Noid

50 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

And for 130XE as well. I have both, they are really well made. 

What????  They make a 130XE case now?  They didn't when I asked them before.  My 130XE is on eBay to sell but I'd keep it if I could get a custom case for it.

31 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

Not quite. It is a part that holds some elements and keeps the whole computer together. For instance, the PSU board is screwed to it. So it is possible to make an acrylic case but it would need to play as a support as well, which makes it much more complex than just a simple casing for XL or XE machines.

I think a simple 3D printed piece of plastic would stand in for that connection.

2 hours ago, slx said:

If the transparent case should resemble the original you’d need a number of curved parts which might not be that easy to recreate in acrylic glass.

While it wouldn't be easy to make an acrylic 1090XL case, it wouldn't be that hard either.  You can buy acrylic rod that is concave/convex.  You would just have to 'glue' the top piece and side pieces to them.

All told, it would only require six large pieces for the top, sides, front, back, and bottom, and the two 'rolled' pieces for the top edges.  You'd also need some smaller pieces for support and alignment.

Plus a great deal of measuring and patience.  While I do have an acrylic case for my 1088XEL, I don't think the 1090XL would look right without the brown front/top/sides and the big 'ATARI' written on the front.

DavidMil2     

Plexiglass puzzle-piece cases will never "resemble" the original cases.  Their point is to put a protective shell around the circuit boards and to allow the owner to ogle the said boards.  If you want to recreate the 1090XL case, you'll need to spring for injection molded plastics.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 9:42 AM, DavidMil2 said:

While it wouldn't be easy to make an acrylic 1090XL case, it wouldn't be that hard either.  You can buy acrylic rod that is concave/convex.  You would just have to 'glue' the top piece and side pieces to them.

All told, it would only require six large pieces for the top, sides, front, back, and bottom, and the two 'rolled' pieces for the top edges.  You'd also need some smaller pieces for support and alignment.

Plus a great deal of measuring and patience.  While I do have an acrylic case for my 1088XEL, I don't think the 1090XL would look right without the brown front/top/sides and the big 'ATARI' written on the front.

DavidMil2     

I was referring to the initial question about an acrylic case for the 800.

On 4/18/2024 at 10:19 AM, Geister said:

If you want to recreate the 1090XL case, you'll need to spring for injection molded plastics.

Wait, wasn't the 1090 originally in a pressed-steel case, or am I thinking of something else (and I know I'm not confusing it with the 850 :) )?

On 4/20/2024 at 2:05 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Wait, wasn't the 1090 originally in a pressed-steel case, or am I thinking of something else (and I know I'm not confusing it with the 850 :) )?

You are correct.  It was a painted metal case with a large piece of plastic on the top half of the from that had the word. "ATARI" on it.  It's been

so long, I'm not sure about the word, "1090XL".

But back to the 800; I'm just not sure what it would look like without that large cast aluminum shield.  Or for that matter, what it would look like

with the shield under the acrylic.  To make it look good and stay looking good, you'd have to shine it up and then seal it to keep it from oxidizing

again.

DavidMil2