IGNORED

What is this Atari switch thing?

funkrusher

Hello all. First post. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about a piece of 2600 hardware that I recently ran across. It looked like a device that would allow you to plug around 5 or 6 cartridges into and then it had buttons next to each cartridge slot so that you could just push a button to determine which game you would play. Sort of like a cartridge switch or cartridge changer. Sound familiar to anyone? I actually saw the thing at a flea market, looked it over and passed it up. I went back a few minutes later to buy it and it was gone. Any info is appreciated.

thanks,

fun

I have another of these that is more complex .. It has a keypad and you load whichever by pressing the number on the keypad. I think it can access about 8 different carts. It connects to the Atari via a ribbon cable / cart.

Not all games are compatible with these multicart selectors. Does it have to do with missing edge connections?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Video Game Brain is what that would be. Plug it into your Atari, plug in 6 games, and push the switch in front of the game you want to play and turn it on. It's an interesting little thing. But you have to have a perfect picture on your atari to begin with, because this will degrade the picture quality slightly. Possibly the cable running to the system isn't shielded and it's more sensitive to radiowaves floating around?

Hey CPUWIZ.. In your opinion, which of those works the best? I'd think the picture of the one with the keypad, as it's probably digital, and mechanical switches wouldn't be a factor in degrading the signal.

Though the rom scanner is awesome looking IMO. I'm going to see if I can find one.