IGNORED

Atari 520 STFM questions before purchase...

Epyx

Okay I have an Atari 520 STFM lined up for purchase ($40 for the 520stfm, sc1224 monitor plus mouse and games). I have a couple of quick questions and hope between you experts some can get answered as my searches on the net have turned up not much...

Memory and the 520STFM

Being a commodore/pc guy how can I tell how much ram this 520STFM has in it from the desktop? I am hoping it has at least 1mb for compatibility with most games...

Memory Upgrading

If it doesn't have 1mb how was memory on the 520STFM upgraded. Was this one of the models that took 30pin simms or do I need to do soddering work?

Games and 512k

Last question...did most ST games cater to 512k or were games after a certain year all 1mb games?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Thanks...how about checking the amount of RAM from TOS? How can this be done? I want to be able to see how much ram it has before buying.

Thanks again.

IIRC, TOS has no way to show how much memory you have. What you may want to do is get a Ramdrive program. This should give you an idea of how much memory you have on the machine.

Check with Best Electronic's. There used to be a RAM board called EZ Ram (I and others referred to it as Sleezy RAM) that made upgrading the RAM somewhat doable; Best still might have them or an alternative.

I used an EZ RAM and got by with it until I bought a 1040ST. The hardest part with EZ RAM is postioning the RAM board as it doesn't fit the best and the board tended to rock some as you typed or moved the machine.

And Inky is right in that TOS doesn't tell you how much RAM is available. You need a RAM disk or one of the many other desktop programs that have available memory as a feature.

For $40 I think you got a pretty good deal. Hopefully the drive in the machine is a double and not single density.

Mendon

Inky, there is someone on Ebay selling STE memory for like 12.50$ each... not sure if that's a good price tho...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=29552&rd=1

(And btw it's not my auction I'm plugging or anything just trying to be helpful)

I just picked up a 1040 stf myself. Partly for nostaglia and partly to do some MIDI work on... I think I got a good deal on monitor, cpu, and homebuilt HD (with an ICD controller that would actually allow me to add a second device to)... But I am still learning some things about it and relearning others... And from looking around on the web, soldering aside, it seems like it would be cheaper just to try and find a used STE w/ 4 meg than to buy the memory which just seems crazy hehe.

It's thirty-pin simms that you need. 60-70ns. With a lot af soldering you can even get those into an stf(m). It's about 60 or so soldering points... How to make it is written in Chips'n'chips (google for chips_fr.zip). Unfortunately this document is in german I think. :(

If someone wants an english version of this please drop me a mail and I'll try to translate it. If I'd not be able to do this in a proper way I'd give it. But perhaps it's not needed anyway. ;)