IGNORED

Turret Turmoil: Dreadnought Assault

Trebor

So this is the actual game that the old Portal demo was showing. Will some of the features that the Portal demo had make it over to the actual game? Like the Pokey audio and Covox speech for instance?

18 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Like the Pokey audio and Covox speech for instance?

No. So that it's accessible to as many people as possible, I'm sticking to a regular cart format. In this case a 128K supercart with 16K RAM as used by Epyx in their Summer Games and Winter Games.

Not that I've extensively tested it, but it seems to run OK under ProSystem. It also seems to run well on Concerto, just some minor glitching on the title screen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, playsoft said:

No. So that it's accessible to as many people as possible, I'm sticking to a regular cart format. In this case a 128K supercart with 16K RAM as used by Epyx in their Summer Games and Winter Games.

Not that I've extensively tested it, but it seems to run OK under ProSystem. It also seems to run well on Concerto, just some minor glitching on the title screen.

I tested with my 7800GD. Consider one Supercart sold!🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Hi Paul, another great game from you!

Works perfectly on my PAL 7800 + 7800 GameDrive.

Dreadnough Assault.jpg

Love the SONY CRT and your clock radio. Sorry to interrupt the thread everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@sramirez2008 & @Philsan glad to hear it's working on the GD.

With regards to PAL, I anticipated a big difference in difficulty compared to NTSC (because of the slower frame rate) but there wasn't. I felt I should still do something to equalise NTSC and PAL, so you have to hit the turrets one additional time in PAL.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 1:39 PM, bhall408 said:

I like the mechanic of 2nd fire button being used for reverse...

Me too.  It very much reminds me of Uridium (86) (A.K.A. The Last Starfighter - 1990 NES) & Uridium 2 (93) series of games. 

I have played Uridium under DOS quite a bit,  despite not getting too far.  I love how the difficulty is much better balanced under this game with the inclusion of shield strength.

Graphically, it is worlds superior to any of the aforementioned 8-bit titles, and nearly as good looking as the 16-bit Amiga exclusive Uridium 2.  Almost like a Uridium 1.5.

It plays super smooth and is extremely impressive.   Fantastic job playsoft and kiwilove!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2024 at 12:25 PM, Trebor said:

Me too.  It very much reminds me of Uridium (86) (A.K.A. The Last Starfighter - 1990 NES) & Uridium 2 (93) series of games. 

I have played Uridium under DOS quite a bit,  despite not getting too far.  I love how the difficulty is much better balanced under this game with the inclusion of shield strength.

Graphically, it is worlds superior to any of the aforementioned 8-bit titles, and nearly as good looking as the 16-bit Amiga exclusive Uridium 2.  Almost like a Uridium 1.5.

It plays super smooth and is extremely impressive.   Fantastic job playsoft and kiwilove!

Thanks @Trebor. Uridium was definitely an influence when looking at how a bidirectional scroller would work. I currently have 32K ROM free and although the demo only plays the first 2 levels, the graphics for the other levels are already included. Similarly, there are enemies that haven't been used yet, also included. I have to sequence the attack waves for the other levels, plus some ROM will go on the title screen and a completion screen, but there should still be a reasonable amount left over. I like the idea of a small bonus game to act as a break between levels. Uridium has that reaction game, I don't want to copy that but I am open to any ideas.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, playsoft said:

I like the idea of a small bonus game to act as a break between levels. Uridium has that reaction game, I don't want to copy that but I am open to any ideas.

How about a bonus game where squadrons of enemy ships may alternate entrances without attacking the player, with the player's goal of a perfect kill score? 

Similar to the bonus rounds of Galaga, but the screen is rotated 90 degrees and a group of ships may enter behind how the player's ship is currently facing as well.

To help distinguish it from the main game, the background is just a starfield, no Dreadnought.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Trebor said:

How about a bonus game where squadrons of enemy ships may alternate entrances without attacking the player, with the player's goal of a perfect kill score? 

Similar to the bonus rounds of Galaga, but the screen is rotated 90 degrees and a group of ships may enter behind how the player's ship is currently facing as well.

To help distinguish it from the main game, the background is just a starfield, no Dreadnought.

That's a possibility and Harvey suggested much the same. My only reticence is that's it's similar to the main game, but I supposed it did work for Galaga! I will finish off sequencing the next two levels and then try prototyping it to see how it feels.

• Like 1

Wow saw this on ZeroPage Homebrew. Great game! Can't wait until you publish! Want to add this cart to my collection. Reminds me of Dreadnaught Factor on Intellivision and I love that game. 

• Like 2