IGNORED

New Atari 7800 Power Supplies

cx2k

4 hours ago, Albert said:

That's great to know, given the evil, proprietary connector the 7800 power supply uses!  How long is the cable included with your power supply?

..Al

I bought 2 of them so I can answer that in the near future if it isn't answered before then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Albert said:

That's great to know, given the evil, proprietary connector the 7800 power supply uses!  How long is the cable included with your power supply?

..Al

Just about 10ft.

• Like 5

On 4/23/2024 at 1:35 PM, cx2k said:

Just a heads up if anyone needs a reasonably priced replacement power supply.

www.atarirepairparts.com has them for $15.

Thank you very much for mentioning this!!  It is great that we can finally buy a replacement 7800 power supply.  😀

14 minutes ago, -Joe- said:

Here is another great source for a new Atari 7800 Power Supply ( and other parts ) ! I ordered one a while back and am having good luck . $21 + Shipping

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/New Best 7800 Power supply.htm

Too much of a hassle to order from that nut job. Plus, his power supplies are more expensive and that isn't even including his shipping cost.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Got my twin PSUs in the mail today. They actually read a tad lower putting out only 8.8v on average but that is still enough to activate the regulator and provide a nice +5v still. And... from what my O'scope is telling me, there doesn't appear to be any noise at all from these PSUs. They are a bit tight to get into the plug as it seems they don't really expect you to be unplugging and plugging in the cord that much on the console. But yeah...

These be the real deal folks!

• Like 3

Hi Guys !  Really enjoying this Topic and it has a place in my heart because...  Let's Face it - With these Old Machines it's ALWAYS nice to have Back - Ups of Stuff !  Problem is for me, I Live in the U.K. and these are U.S. Based Power Packs, Am I right ?

Edited by Retro Wayne
Missed a Word Out !!! :-<
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Retro Wayne said:

Hi Guys !  Really enjoying this Topic and it has a place in my heart because...  Let's Face it - With these Old Machines it's ALWAYS nice to have Back - Ups of Stuff !  Problem is for me, I Live in the U.K. and these are U.S. Based Power Packs, Am I right ?

Only in terms of plug, on the unit it clearly states 100-240v and 50-60hz, aka universal.

Aside the 7800 plug and the logo they look like round of the mill Chinese switching power supplies … great to know their output is not noisy, @-^CrossBow^- I believe 7805 are usually fine with anything above 7v according to various data sheet so a lower input makes them run cooler.

Edited by phoenixdownita

38 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Only in terms of plug, on the unit it clearly states 100-240v and 50-60hz, aka universal.

Aside the 7800 plug and the logo they look like round of the mill Chinese switching power supplies … great to know their output is not noisy, @-^CrossBow^- I believe 7805 are usually fine with anything above 7v according to various data sheet so a lower input makes them run cooler.

AH !  Thank you for the Reply Phoenixdownita !  So...  In laymans terms ( I'm a SCREAMING ( and I MEAN SCREAMING Noob ! ) what do I need, Do I need to get - Like a TRAVEL ADAPTER for the Power Supply is that correct ?  I DO use Ebay so I'm guessing I could grab something off there Dead Easy !  😆  Which reminds me...  Have'nt had the 7800 on for a while - Think this weekend I am dusting her off and switching her on for some FOOD FIGHT Fun !!! 

I ordered and received 2 of the 7800 power supplies from Atari Repair Parts (because I want to be sure I have 30+ years worth of power supplies :).  I have an original 7800 power supply, but you never know when the old power supply will give up the ghost.  The new power supplies are definitely lighter and are ergonomically designed not to take up more than one space on a power strip.  

Of the two I got, one works great, very stable, easy to plug in and the power stays on with jostles to the cable.  That will be my daily driver power supply.  The other one I got was not a very good connection to the 7800 - slight brushes to the power cable would cause it to cut out and inserting it fully into the 7800 didn't work 100% of the time either - I had to slightly pull it out of the socket to get it to power on.  I contacted Atari Repair Parts and they are sending me a replacement supply.  Atari Repair Parts has excellent customer service and if something went wrong (I'm sure I was just unlucky on one of them) I'm sure they will fix the situation for you.  Despite my minor blip I highly recommend them.

2 hours ago, Retro Wayne said:

AH !  Thank you for the Reply Phoenixdownita !  So...  In laymans terms ( I'm a SCREAMING ( and I MEAN SCREAMING Noob ! ) what do I need, Do I need to get - Like a TRAVEL ADAPTER for the Power Supply is that correct ?  I DO use Ebay so I'm guessing I could grab something off there Dead Easy !  😆  Which reminds me...  Have'nt had the 7800 on for a while - Think this weekend I am dusting her off and switching her on for some FOOD FIGHT Fun !!! 

Yup … something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Electric-Toothbrush-Adaptor-Converter/dp/B08RD6ZYJ8 would do, I think, from the pics the 7800 power brick seems to have a non polarized plug (most common for this kind of power adapters) so it should fit.

Edited by phoenixdownita

I checked the PSU again on my test lab 7800 that still uses a linear voltage regulator in it. 

TLDR: It seems to have about 2mVpp ripple. The video below shows the setup I had doing this, with the settings set on my o'scope for others to check on their own. The 7800 was powered on with the reading being done just after the main filter cap in the system with the console powered on to provide the expected load.

Short vid that shows this in action:

• Like 3

I have one of these and it arrived quickly from Texas.  I tested it on a LED and CRT and the picture was good on both vs the Best Electronics, which had some static, this one is a little better.  OEM still has the best picture but for the going price and aftermarket options this is a good one and the OEM's won't be around forever.