IGNORED

The mystery of Monkey Moon ;)

Hi everyone.

I've been working in this game ;) but not for making a cartridge.

It's one of the games that will appear with full source code in my next book ;)

Stay tuned for more info!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, thegeps said:

Hi Oscar, will the book be only Coleco oriented or will it be multi-system, like coleco/msx/sg1000?

It's based on the Colecovision, but includes instructions to run the programs on MSX and SG1000.  So yes, the book is multi-system because the programs are highly portable (joystick in Colecovision/SG1000/MSX, and also cursor keys in MSX)

Notice that the Colecovision's keypad isn't available in SG1000, and currently, there is no way to use the MSX keyboard unless you code extra subroutines.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, thegeps said:

Cool. I asked because I'd like to port my game from MSX to Colecovision and SG-1000 in the future. So I'm thinking about buying your book to acquire some know how about this

If your game is already coded in assembler, you could have a guide watching my translation layer to assemble both a game for Colecovision and MSX:

https://nanochess.org/viboritas.html

• Like 1

Mystery revealed! The games shown are provided with full source code and annotated examples to help you learn to program the Colecovision using CVBasic in my all-new book of 250 pages. :)

It includes a foreword by the legend himself David R. Megarry, maybe some of you know him as the creator of Dungeon!™ and others know he worked in the team doing Zaxxon™ for Colecovision. 😃

The book will be available in some weeks after proofreaders finish their job.

Follow this thread to get notice of the book being available or just post to show your interest. It will be available first from Lulu.com

cover_preview.thumb.png.c92ee266eb041b00452f897eb0856ff9.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to say that Programming Games for Colecovision is now available in paperback format (hardcover soon to be available).

You can order copies now from Lulu: https://www.lulu.com/shop/oscar-toledo-gutierrez/programming-games-for-colecovision/paperback/product-95qvzj8.html?page=1&pageSize=4

20240511_141544.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nanochess said:

I'm glad to say that Programming Games for Colecovision is now available in paperback format (hardcover soon to be available).

You can order copies now from Lulu: https://www.lulu.com/shop/oscar-toledo-gutierrez/programming-games-for-colecovision/paperback/product-95qvzj8.html?page=1&pageSize=4

shut_up_and_take_my_monkey_by_ink98765_d5ou03u-fullview.thumb.jpg.e875597607f894e4ab5897bea529d499.jpg

..I mean, take my money!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, evg2000 said:

I just purchased a copy!

16 hours ago, OriginalJohn said:

Ordered!

10 hours ago, cvga said:

Ordered

Thank you all!

Please post pictures of your book when you receive it alongside your Colecovision! 😃

Can't wait to dig in.   I just wanted to personally thank you and others that worked on CVBasic.   I consider there to be many milestones in classic gaming, and what you did is one of them.  Making a game for the Colecovision has never been easier and I can't wait to see what new additions you will add in the future.  It's very satisfying to see something come alive on the screen that was once in my mind.   Right now I'm making a game that no one probably wants in the first place and might be equally as boring in the end.... but when I finish this one (90% currently), I don't plan on stopping -  I have a lot of ideas and you're stuck with me!

image.thumb.png.1aaec8dc98de657a49d827c3445bdcf4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just started reading. I might have to get the PDF version, might be easier to have it open on one monitor while I code on the other. 

thanks @nanochess for creating cv basic compiler and writing a book about it. And in very short time!

IMG_1909.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OriginalJohn said:

Can't wait to dig in.   I just wanted to personally thank you and others that worked on CVBasic.   I consider there to be many milestones in classic gaming, and what you did is one of them.  Making a game for the Colecovision has never been easier and I can't wait to see what new additions you will add in the future.  It's very satisfying to see something come alive on the screen that was once in my mind.   Right now I'm making a game that no one probably wants in the first place and might be equally as boring in the end.... but when I finish this one (90% currently), I don't plan on stopping -  I have a lot of ideas and you're stuck with me!

image.thumb.png.1aaec8dc98de657a49d827c3445bdcf4.png

Wow! You already did a game!

31 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

Just started reading. I might have to get the PDF version, might be easier to have it open on one monitor while I code on the other. 

thanks @nanochess for creating cv basic compiler and writing a book about it. And in very short time!

IMG_1909.jpeg

Amazing! It looks really good with the Colecovision cover. Thank you!

Thanks to both for sharing, as this means a lot to me. It was what I intended since the start, helping new programmers to show their creativity in the Colecovision.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For your enjoyment, a sample game from the book: Monkey Moon, 989 lines of source code, and the game fits in 6k!

If you want the full comments on how it works, the book is available from Lulu in hardcover, paperback, and as ebook from my store.

image042.png.8de3984ae1be8f6605bf990909c42ea6.png

monkey.bas monkey.bmp monkey.rom

• Like 7