IGNORED

Cleaning my 5200 stick

Goochman

Ok,

Im going to try the impossible - My 5200 stick stopped working (fire/start button) - I believe due to non use since it was working the last time I tried it.

I took the stick apart and want to know the best way of cleaning the circut board. It says © 1982 Rev 9

I presume I have to take the red buttons off and apply rubbing alcohol to the flex circut? Ive heard folks mention pencil erasers also?

I have never seen a rev 7 with carbon...and all the rev 9 flexes I have seen were carbon traced. Your right in that you can't use the eraser on them as it will actually erase the carbon trace right off the flex. But what I do use...is a q-tip and alcohol..and have had great success with that. I noticed that the carbon based flexes...seem to gunk up worse than the metal traced flexes. Also as long as your careful...there shouldn't be a problem with removing the top joystick case as long as you remove the upper row buttons and their plastic boarder...otherwise..yes..you will strip the carbon off...you can break and bend back the metal traces too..  

There is plenty of room in that slit on the top joystick shell to allow the flex to go through...  

My biggest problems with the carbon traced flexes..is that they appear to be of poorer quality on the traces themselves. I have more of the carbon based ones in the trash bin..than the metal ones...  

either way..this is what I do and continue to do to this day to repair and maintain my 5200 sticks....  

Just break down and get the gold dotted buttons from best electronics :D

I cant see (myself anyway) spending all that money for a non-centering stick. I use the standard kits and they work find for me (when I actually use it). Thank god for other controller alternatives. ;)

I have the Wico stick also - but that doesnt have a start button :o

Ok,

I cracked open the case - put some Rubbing Alcohol on the mylar and reconnected everything - Everything appears to work again EXCEPT the bottom 2 fire buttons :( - Of course these are the most used.

I opened and cleaned them 3 more times and I got 1 of the buttons to respond to some hard angled pushing - should I continue to clean or is it a lost cause?

Would the tin foil tape help here?

I can tell you from experince. If you have the metal contacts on the rev circuit, you can clean them with an eraser. Then get some tin-foil and superglue, and glue small pieces on the underside of the old carbon dots. I did this with two controllers 4 months ago and they work great. I have had no problems even when leaving them un-used for 1 month. Its a good temp fix till you can afford the ALL GOLD best electronics controllers. I cant wait to get mine.

- Jay

man oh man.. trust me on this one.. just get some REAL contact cleaner,, rub with q tip until you stop seeing black coming off on the q tip. Brake Clean is actually a for of REAL AGGRESSIVE contact cleaner and can be found cheaply in most auto stores, however,, its very, very hard on plastic so dont spray it,, dip qtip in it and be carful! different brands have different corrosiveness (same with different makers of contact cleaner). If you want an even more permenant fix do this: At the auto parts store request some 'rear window defroster repair' paint. Its a conductive liquid used to repair a rear window defrost 'grid' when it has been damaged. small bottle, kind of exspensive but goes along way. This is pretty much the same product used to repair similiar carbon bottons on other devices (vcr's mostly) hope this helps;) Ive sold about 40 of these repairing em that way and never had one come back on a 90-day warranty,,

I decided not to put my house on the EPA top 10 list with all the contact cleaners out there :) - Retrogramer game me a break on the previous Best new circut pads with gold start/reset/pause buttons - THings are working good now and hopefully for the near future :)