IGNORED

PAM 2.3 5200 OS Checksums?

x=usr(1536)

Been searching for this info on and off for some time, but without luck.

Does anyone happen to know what the 5200 OS checksums (as calculated by the PAM 2.3 diagnostic cartridge) are for the various OS releases?

On my 2-port system with a 4-port OS installed, it's shown as 4B58 0000.  I'm assuming that this is a valid checksum for the 4-port OS, since the machine seems to be completely compatible with the full software library and CX-55 adapter.

So that begs the question of what the checksums for the 2-port OS should be.  Does anyone know?

Well, what I can tell you is that if you load up the 1.1 PAM on a 2port, then the checksum comes back invalid since it doesn't know what the 2port BIOS is. Not sure I've ever really paid attention to what is shown otherwise. I'm pretty sure though that on the 1.1 on a 4port, it just says it is rev 1.0 and the ROM test for it just comes back with an empty ready prompt indicating no issues. I've got both consoles of course that I could get out and check as I have both the 1.1 and 2.3 on dedicated cartridges.

48 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, what I can tell you is that if you load up the 1.1 PAM on a 2port, then the checksum comes back invalid since it doesn't know what the 2port BIOS is.

Yep.  IIRC, the same thing happens with PAM 1.3.

48 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've got both consoles of course that I could get out and check as I have both the 1.1 and 2.3 on dedicated cartridges.

If you could whenever you have a moment, it would be appreciated.  My 2-port with the 2-port OS is majorly buried right now so I can't get to it without performing serious archaeology, and the last 4-port I had is long gone.

On 4/25/2024 at 11:14 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Does anyone happen to know what the 5200 OS checksums (as calculated by the PAM 2.3 diagnostic cartridge) are for the various OS releases?

It's 4B58 0000 for the C019156 OS (the original one) and 54E4 0000 for C019156A  (the "2-port" BIOS).

I'm assuming that this is a checksum for the Rev. 1.1 4-port OS

Where does the 1.1 number come from?

So that begs the question of what the checksums for the other 4-port OS ROM should be, as well as the 2-port OS.

What other 4-port OS? There were only two OS versions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kr0tki said:

Where does the 1.1 number come from?

That is PAM rev of the ROM itself. I have a 1.1 that I use for the 4-port systems and a 2.3 I use for the 2-port systems. The 2.3 can be used on the 4 port but the actual port tests generate bogus errors on the loop back test for me while the 1.1 does not on the 4-port console.

Not sure what other 4-port BIOS is being mentioned. Far as I know, there are only just the two that were used between the two different models. Even the newer 4-port units made later on with power modifications already on them and the main board revised to work with the VCS adapter still use the same 4-port OS BIOS on them?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kr0tki said:

What other 4-port OS? There were only two OS versions.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not sure what other 4-port BIOS is being mentioned. Far as I know, there are only just the two that were used between the two different models. Even the newer 4-port units made later on with power modifications already on them and the main board revised to work with the VCS adapter still use the same 4-port OS BIOS on them?

My apologies - reading back, it looks as though I unintentionally caused some confusion on that front with my wording regarding 1.1.  Agreed that there's only a single 4-port and single 2-port revision for two total :) 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That is PAM rev of the ROM itself. I have a 1.1 that I use for the 4-port systems and a 2.3 I use for the 2-port systems. The 2.3 can be used on the 4 port but the actual port tests generate bogus errors on the loop back test for me while the 1.1 does not on the 4-port console.

Interesting! I would assume that the 2.3 diag cart, being a later version, would correctly support all 5200 models released up to that point, not only the latest one. Especially considering that, according to the Field Service Manual, the 1.1 cartridge supports both the 4-port and 2-port models.

47 minutes ago, Kr0tki said:

Interesting! I would assume that the 2.3 diag cart, being a later version, would correctly support all 5200 models released up to that point, not only the latest one. Especially considering that, according to the Field Service Manual, the 1.1 cartridge supports both the 4-port and 2-port models.

For sure the 1.1 does NOT support the 2port. the diag loop board tests fail on the 2port under that revision, whereas they pass on the 2.3. And likewise when I use the 2.3 on the 4 port, it will fail the loop back testing. So for several years, I've just considered the 1.1 to be for use with the 4 port only and the 2.3 for the 2 port.

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

How many version of the 5200 diag cart are there actually? I see Atariprotos.com lists 6 versions. which is a bit surprising.

Mitch

That might be true but I've only ever gotten the 1.1 and 2.3 to work on my actual consoles. All the others just give a black screen and don't actually load up for me.

8 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

For sure the 1.1 does NOT support the 2port. the diag loop board tests fail on the 2port under that revision, whereas they pass on the 2.3. And likewise when I use the 2.3 on the 4 port, it will fail the loop back testing. So for several years, I've just considered the 1.1 to be for use with the 4 port only and the 2.3 for the 2 port.

Oops, I misread the Field Service Manual. The procedure for testing the 2-port model, as described in there, differs from the 4-port one in that it specifically not uses the loopback board and omits the Port Test. Sorry for the confusion.

• Thanks 1