IGNORED

Atariprotos.com 7800 Section Now Under Construction

Tempest

It's about friggin time.  

Are you gonna get scans from John at all ?

I assume you mean Sky Fox, Plutos, Sirius, and Missing in Action? I think we'll all have to wait until they get sold or the roms are made public before we'll get to see them (hopefully that will be soon). From what I understadn Sky Fox is similar to GATO in that it's a very simple demo, but MIA was a decent POW type game. Never got to play Sirius or Plutos but I hear they're scrolling shooters (like Planet Smashers)

Thankfully another copy of GATO has surfaced so we can all enjoy(?) it. Maybe other copies of the rest of those games will pop up too? Stranger things have happened

Tempest

Where is Rescue on Fractalus? I know it exists. I think the original programmer has the demo for it. I believe it only had the cockpit and some slight left and right movement and the gauges. I would still like to find this title though.

Where is Rescue on Fractalus? I know it exists. I think the original programmer has the demo for it. I believe it only had the cockpit and some slight left and right movement and the gauges. I would still like to find this title though.

Yes this is what I heard as well, but I've never seen it. The DP guide lists it as being completed but not released (information coming from another programmer). I wonder who's correct? I talked to an Atari employee who told me that it was started in 84 but not far enough along to finish in 86 (although Ball Blazer and Desert Falcon were).

Tempest

Yes this is what I heard as well, but I've never seen it. The DP guide lists it as being completed but not released (information coming from another programmer). I wonder who's correct? I talked to an Atari employee who told me that it was started in 84 but not far enough along to finish in 86 (although Ball Blazer and Desert Falcon were).

Tempest

That info about the cockpit view came from me, I spoke with the programmer and the cockpit view and left right pan was started, but that was all that was done. He said it was done on a Mac running a Z80 emulator as they were developing 7800 game initially on a Z80 based system. He said his Mac w/HD is long long since gone, nothing was submitted to Atari, but they did do a demonstration to some Atari reps who came by GCC while visiting the Cambridge Atari Research Lab (CARL) at one point. Apparently the demo did something that the programmers at Atari were amazed it which had to do with the 3 way split screen of the cockpit, I will see if I still have the emails and I'll post them, it was an interesting thread regarding some of the hidden potential of the 7800 that remains untapped to this day.

Curt

Curt,

Any chance you can put your hands on the tools used by GCC to program the 7800 from a Macintosh system ?

As a Mac user, and potential homebrewer for the 7800 (because of the Maria Chip), that could be an interesting find.

Except for C65, there's not much to program any A-8bit from a Mac.

AB.

Curt,

Any chance you can put your hands on the tools used by GCC to program the 7800 from a Macintosh system ?

As a Mac user, and potential homebrewer for the 7800 (because of the Maria Chip), that could be an interesting find.

Except for C65, there's not much to program any A-8bit from a Mac.

AB.

I have asked several of the GCC programmers, none kept such things so I think they may all be lost unless the original owners of GCC like John Tyko, Doug Macrea and the third guy whos name slips my mind right now, may still this stuff stashed away.

Curt

I have asked several of the GCC programmers, none kept such things so I think they may all be lost unless the original owners of GCC like John Tyko, Doug Macrea and the third guy whos name slips my mind right now, may still this stuff stashed away.

Curt

Curt -

Who developed this development system? Was it GCC, Atari, or a third party?

Curt

Curt -

Who developed this development system? Was it GCC, Atari, or a third party?

I never asked, but I would most likely guess it was done in-house, the GCC wizards were very talented... they were literally right next door to MIT and were getting a lot of students to come over and work there, so you know they were getting top talent.

Curt

Wow that's really interesting. I never knew that before. Did they work well with the people at Atari? I know that they were basically forced into business with Atari after having lost a civil suit over intellectual property issues. Did the Atari/GCC cultures mesh well or was there a lot of atomicity?