IGNORED

A new game that is coming VERY soon...

Hi,

I have corrected the bug on the CRT monitors on real ATARI.

I hope it will be published on atarionline.pl soon.

But I have added the corrected version here also.

It was testes on real ATARI 800xl with 1MB (ultimate) and the CRT monitor.

vega

mikie v1.08.obx

• Like 7

7 hours ago, skr said:

Gave it a quick run on Emulators: Crashes on Atari800MacX (different settings, no success) but runs fine in Altirra.

But real hardware is better for plaiyng, anyway. Will test different setups tonight. :)

version 1.08 is out now...  see above...

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, adam242 said:

Any chance of us getting a version without that obnoxious PAL "no game for you!" check?

Here, did it myself. Both versions play fine on my ANTIC-swapped 800 with Incognito.

Seems mostly okay in NTSC Altirra with some minor glitching.

Great work, guys! Now more of us can enjoy it.

mikie_noPALcheck.xex mikie_noPALcheck.atr

Edited by adam242
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, adam242 said:

Here, did it myself. Both versions play fine on my ANTIC-swapped 800 with Incognito.

Seems mostly okay in NTSC Altirra with some minor glitching.

Great work, guys! Now more of us can enjoy it.

mikie_noPALcheck.xex 111.65 kB · 5 downloads mikie_noPALcheck.atr 130.02 kB · 3 downloads

Is this based on (or created from) version 1.08 ?

4 hours ago, vega123 said:

Hi,

I have corrected the bug on the CRT monitors on real ATARI.

I hope it will be published on atarionline.pl soon.

But I have added the corrected version here also.

It was testes on real ATARI 800xl with 1MB (ultimate) and the CRT monitor.

vega

mikie v1.08.obx 111.66 kB · 2 downloads

Small request: Maybe this and/or future versions could include a version number ?

(e.g. in the first black+white picture or at the title)

I'm playing on a PAL 800XL / U1Mb / VBXE / PokeyMAX. The game loads fine and I can play, but the main title screen (press fire to play) and the high score screen cause my monitor to roll. Anyone else seeing anything similar?

22 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Small request: Maybe this and/or future versions could include a version number ?

(e.g. in the first black+white picture or at the title)

it's possible..maybe in the next version I will add

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LessNick said:

It's always nice to see good new work, but it's sad when there are demands for expanded memory. :(

Is it possible to release the work as cartridge so that it can be run at 64k?

with cartridge...yes...it's possible to make the version for 64KB

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, LessNick said:

It's always nice to see good new work, but it's sad when there are demands for expanded memory. :(

Is it possible to release the work as cartridge so that it can be run at 64k?

It's nice when games can run on 64k of course, but it's equally nice when games are made to use 128k and benefit from it. (Prince of Persia, Time Wizard, Dude Story, Albert, Flob, Bunny Hop, etc to name but a few). After all we've had the 128k 130XE since 1985 and upgrading to 128k, 256k and 320k is something which is easy reach of most, (latter depending on which A8 we are talking about. Even if you don't have the skills or knowledge to do an internal ram upgrade, there are plenty of external options. 

Equally it's great if you are able to code a game so it can run off the banked ram cart format for 64k or less A8's. (Atariblast, Spaceharrier, one escape, etc). 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Even if you don't have the skills or knowledge to do an internal ram upgrade, there are plenty of external options. 

Going fine with my AVG cart on my 600Xl so far when it comes to 128kb games... :)

Can only recommend that..

• Like 3

Interestingly, this version so far runs ok with 600 XL/800XL/65XE with Rambo / U1MB etc

But XEGS machines has issues (crashes in both emulation and also real hardware)

Anyone think of a reason why this would be?

2 hours ago, Thelen said:

What a fantastic colorfull conversion! Are the sprites also done in mode 4?

This is a quote from the Atarionline.pl page explaining how it's achieved :

"The game uses 128KB on Atari, which means it runs on the original Atari 130XE or computers with memory expansion. A 64KB version would be possible, but it wouldn't look much better than the one on BBC Micro, and it doesn't look nice there. That's why I didn't even try to make one, but the game was planned for 128KB to fit more colorful graphics and music pieces, and at the same time speed up drawing object animations.

The game uses my favorite ANTIC 4 graphics mode, i.e. 40x24 character mode in five colors. Although in fact the resolution here is 48x30 characters because the screen is wide. The BBC Micro uses a 40x32 screen, so on the Atari I made it a similar height to reduce code rework. Due to the way software sprites are drawn on the BBC Micro, I had to use a wide screen of 48 characters instead of 40 characters, because there would be a problem with the black color (%00), which was normally used as "transparent" when drawing sprites. So, in our case, we couldn't use black color when drawing, because if we changed this color to something other than black (%00), the screen frames would no longer be black and it would look bad. Ultimately, I made such changes in the drawing procedures that it would be possible to create the game on a normal screen (40 characters per line), but I don't want to rewrite the code of the entire game, because the workload would be high, although the game would actually run faster (about 2000 cycles per frame.... I may be wrong here, because I don't remember exactly, but Mono knows how many :). As I wrote earlier, the game uses character mode, but on the DLI interrupt we change the character set every 3 lines, so we actually get a graphic mode here.

As for the colors - to obtain so many colors, changes to all COLPF0-3 and COLBAK color registers were applied every line. This means we can have different colors in each row. The color registers for PMG graphics, COLPM0-3, are changed in a similar way to each row. From a technical point of view, all object frames are currently saved as bitmaps in the BMP format, so they can be changed very easily in any PC graphics program, for example, instead of the teacher drawing a different character, run 3 *.bat files converting it into data that can be read by Atari, and then compile the whole thing with MADS. And that's it, we have a new opponent, no need to change anything in the code.

As for the music and FX, it would be best if Miker commented, because he did them. For my part, I will say that everything is played every frame on the VBL interrupt. "

Well, Michał "Miker" Szpilowski had this to say: "The music for the game began to be created in December 2011, when Vega first tried his hand at porting the game. Then the pieces for the first and probably the fourth board of the game (the one with the dancers) were created. I returned to the topic exactly 12 years and 3 months after starting work on the first version of the game (so when Vega decided to port the game from BBC and not from Commodore, which I think was the right move). There are a total of 11 musicians in the game. I don't know if all of them were used, certainly most of them. Technical? In fact, I still use unmodified Raster Music Tracker version 1.28, and Able Music Editor and vgm2midi are used to help with conversion (which is, to be honest, the usual). I don't always stick to the original 100%, sometimes I do something a bit better or different on Atarka. Generally, I'm happy when something in the game matches what's happening on the screen."

I'll add a few words about the graphics: "The graphics on Atari could have been made even nicer, but even though we fought like lions for it, it was a bit limited BBC code structure and the constraints it imposes. For example, it was impossible to give different frames to those who were bouncing a ball and giving someone a chicken, because the code only used one pattern for both situations. But it's still nice in my opinion."

https://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=nowinki&ucat=1&subaction=showfull&id=1714756037

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

After all we've had the 128k 130XE since 1985 and upgrading to 128k, 256k and 320k is something which is easy reach of most,…

Eh... I certainly understand. But to be honest, I'm very afraid to touch anything in such an old board.

It would be easier to buy a ready-made version of ATARI 130XE, but unfortunately for me this is not yet achievable.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LessNick said:

Eh... I certainly understand. But to be honest, I'm very afraid to touch anything in such an old board.

It would be easier to buy a ready-made version of ATARI 130XE, but unfortunately for me this is not yet achievable.

Sure. 

Like Steril707 mentioned earlier, get an Avgcart. It gives you extra ram among other things. :)

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

1) corrected DLI interrupts... the atari800 emulator does not fully correctly emulate the number of available cycles on DLI... and these interrupts overlapped... corrected... it should now work on the atari800 emulator
2) fixed flashing of 1 line near the benches in LOCKER ROOM
3) NTSC unlocked... although the title screen is flashing... we will fix it later

Finding error no. 1) is thanks to my colleague MONO... he should be thanked :)

mikie v1.09.obx mikie v1.09.atr

Edited by vega123
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

late April joke:  Where is my version number ? (Could not see it).

Well, big thumbs up for correcting these bugs (much more important than a version number).

No problem....I have just added :) In next version will be for sure :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1