IGNORED

Atari Jaguar with no sound repaired (shout out to Sound Retro)

eightbit

Some people here may know that recently my Jaguar developed an issue where sound would no longer work. It also would no longer output RGB, but would output video over RF.

Checking around in the forums here I found a few people that offer Jag repairs and one person (Christa Lee) caught my eye as someone had mentioned Rich Whitehouse had some of his Jag hardware repaired by her. So, I had reached out and the experience was fantastic!

Email transactions were informative and professional and the whole process from start to finish was a breeze. And, most importantly, my Jaguar is now fixed and recapped among other future proofing measures. The turn around time was blazing fast and the repair costs were more than reasonable.

I told her I would post here to let others know so here it is. I will be utilizing her services again for certain (I actually am doing that next week with another console that needs some work) and I highly recommend the repair services she provides. I've been enjoying my Jaguar all weekend along with the excellent GameDrive (thanks @SainT!) and I am so glad it is fully functional once again.

If anyone requires a repair (or mod, upgrade) on a vintage console such as the Jaguar please go ahead and visit Christa's website here:

https://soundretro.co/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eightbit said:

If anyone requires a repair (or mod, upgrade) on a vintage console such as the Jaguar please go ahead and visit Christa's website here:

https://soundretro.co/

The link points to a page that has no contact info whatsoever … are we supposed to use smoke signals?

Or maybe it’s the iOS version of the page screwed up?

EDIT: found x.com tweet

Adding e-mail just in case Elon makes x.com linking unconstitutional: christa@soundretro.co

Edited by phoenixdownita

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

The link points to a page that has no contact info whatsoever … are we supposed to use smoke signals?

Kinda jumping the gun there buddy. The top right corner of the page has a "submit inquiry" button that allows you to open an order inquiry. Not sure why you are not seeing it but it is the first thing you see when you access the page:

image.thumb.png.6907a84a968fcbfc0f8c554e28f9f415.png

Edited by eightbit

1 hour ago, eightbit said:

Email transactions were informative and professional and the whole process from start to finish was a breeze. And, most importantly, my Jaguar is now fixed and recapped among other future proofing measures. The turn around time was blazing fast and the repair costs were more than reasonable.

Did she tell you what the problem she fixed was?

3 minutes ago, eightbit said:

The top right corner of the page has a "submit inquiry" button that allows you to open an order inquiry. Not sure why you are not seeing it but it is the first thing you see when you access the page:

image.thumb.png.6907a84a968fcbfc0f8c554e28f9f415.png

Nope, not on iOS chrome both mobile and desktop versions show nothing there.

Edited by phoenixdownita

1 minute ago, Zerosquare said:

Did she tell you what the problem she fixed was?

Yes. She first replaced all of the power components and recapped and still no sound. It turned out to be the power switch:

Odd issue. RGB was not working because the SNES2Jag draws +5V operational power from the audio line which was not working, hence the adapter I was using (Humble Bazooka SNES2JAG) was not working.

In the end the board had a recap, the power components replaced, power switch replaced and polarity protection diode installed in power intake. It probably only needed the switch to be replaced, but hey, new caps and power components installed I am certainly OK with.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Nope, not on iOS chrome both mobile and desktop versions show nothing there.

Make sure you do not have some kind of blocker. I have seen stuff like that when using uBlock and such.

4 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Make sure you do not have some kind of blocker. I have seen stuff like that when using uBlock and such.

None of that, even Safari same thing … no nothing.

Tried from my Android phone and same issue on chrome.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Yeah, unfortunately I can confirm, no inquiry button on Firefox for Android either. It's there on the desktop browser. Don't know if that's a problem with her site or Botiga in general, but you may want to let her know.

Good to hear she got the Jaguar fixed though! Awesome to see she does CRT repairs as well.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JagChris said:

Its a known issue I told her about this quite a while ago regarding mobile.

I'll remind her as well. I even put Chrome for Android in desktop mode and still no button. Weird.

I sent her an email about this. In the meantime navigating directly to the submit inquiry link on mobile does work:

https://soundretro.co/?page_id=7

Not ideal I know, but its a way ;)

Edited by eightbit

15 hours ago, eightbit said:

Yes. She first replaced all of the power components and recapped and still no sound. It turned out to be the power switch:

I guess I should have mentioned that as a possible cause when I saw your original post. The RGB not working threw me off. When the audio starting having issues on one of my Jags a year ago, I touched up the solder joints for the power switch and used a little Deoxit in the power switch. It has been working great ever since.

I am pretty sure someone mentioned this on the forum a few years ago as well. I think that is where I got the idea from.

Mitch

• Like 2