IGNORED

Finally fixed my FDS (Sharp Twin Famicom)

Some time ago I had purchased a physically very nice condition Sharp Twin Famicom from a seller on Mercari. He only sold it with cartridges and no disks. I asked him if he knew if the disk system portion worked and he said "the last owner said it did". I took that as not working. And, lo and behold I was right.

I figured the issue was the belt so when Console 5 restocked belts for these I ordered a few. I've been holding off on the belt installation for around two weeks now but said the heck with it and went at it today.

The old belt inside (which I am not sure was original, it was clear?) was not rotted but it felt a little loosey goosey. I swapped it out and adjusted the head in accordance with all of the videos I have been watching online but no matter what disk read error 22. I really almost gave up on this one. But then I found this video:

The method this gentleman uses to adjust the head is absolutely spot on. I followed what he did and took off the black cover, little springs and so on. I made the adjustment just as he did and closed it back up not having too much hope. Welp, it booted up the game almost instantly! I tested the loading a few times (all I have is Ice Hockey to test unfortunately) and it is consistently working.

Really great to have this one functional. I figured I would share this info and video in case someone else needs it when changing the belt on one of these.

440121634_10224868528921777_6283672720001087817_n.jpg

440946727_10224868526361713_7930525454782157842_n.jpg

440977984_10224868525921702_5135637162686897922_n.jpg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 11:39 PM, Tanooki said:

Good job, I take it it's not as hard as some people have said for years to tune it right after a new belt to get it to read?  Or maybe it's just the original FDS that's more of an issue with that.

The hardest parts (for me) were continually dropping the darn flea sized springs...and getting that triangular piece off and back on. The FDS drive in the Twin is the same as the one in the original FDS, so same pain either way ;) Following the tutorial the drive immediately read on the first attempt so I would say it is the right way to go.

5 hours ago, Shawn said:

Congrats! Those things can be a real bitch. Glad you got it sorted and didn't give up on it.

And you are not kidding. I really did almost give up, but I really wanted to see this thing working. Had I found the tutorial I linked first the experience would have been a lot better than following the other tutorial with the "new method" posted on YouTube...

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2