IGNORED

Who was the developer for Alien vs. Predator

jeremiahjt

I have looked, but I cannot find what company was developing the Lynx version of Alien vs. Predator.

I have seen a copyright screen showing the game was licensed from Activision.

I also see Michael Archer was the programmer, but I do not know who he was working for.

The answer has probably appeared on the forum before, but I had no luck in finding it.

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I have looked, but I cannot find what company was developing the Lynx version of Alien vs. Predator.

I have seen a copyright screen showing the game was licensed from Activision.

I also see Michael Archer was the programmer, but I do not know who he was working for.

The answer has probably appeared on the forum before, but I had no luck in finding it.

These guys. 

Karl Jeffery went onto form Climax i think.. 

Activision had the licence to do home micro versions based on AVP, but never went anywhere with it. 

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/alien-vs-predator/

s_AlienVsPredator_2.png.jpeg

Edited by Lostdragon

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

Images?

The Biography stuff:

Karl Jeffrey became  the CEO of The Climax Group.

He started out as a freelance video games programmer in 1987, developing games for the ZX  Spectrum, Amstrad CPC  and SEGA console platforms. 

He was involved with:

-The Atari ST conversion of R-Type  which was officially Images’ first published game.

Images  also helped Catalyst  software to convert arcade  Rampage to the Atari ST.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

The Biography stuff:

Karl Jeffrey became  the CEO of The Climax Group.

He started out as a freelance video games programmer in 1987, developing games for the ZX  Spectrum, Amstrad CPC  and SEGA console platforms. 

He was involved with:

-The Atari ST conversion of R-Type  which was officially Images’ first published game.

Images  also helped Catalyst  software to convert arcade  Rampage to the Atari ST.

That did not look like a G, but I could not come up with anything else that would fit.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

@Lostdragon Did Images Software work on any other Lynx games that you know of?

I'm not on LinkedIn, so i can't access his full history. 

Atarimania only lists the aforementioned ST titles, but Mobygames has him down for Sky Shark.. 

https://www.mobygames.com/game/1313/sky-shark/credits/atari-st/

But i couldn't find them listing Lynx AVP. 

His Atari work looks rather limited. 

9 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

I thought Images turned into Rebellion software that did the Jag and PC versions of most AVP titles.

Rebellion Developments were , a Oxford-based game developer founded in 1992 by brothers Jason and Chris Kingsley. 

Lynx AVP Producer, James 'Purple' Hampton headed up the Atari team working with Rebellion on Jaguar AVP

Hampton talks of the connections here:

13 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

I thought Images turned into Rebellion software that did the Jag and PC versions of most AVP titles.

Some confusion might of crept in due to Kingsley claiming the concept of 3 seperate species campaigns on AVP was his idea, it wasn't.. 

#We have to take into account he's also taken credit for Doug  Neubauer's Atari 400/800 Star Raiders,has changed his account of how Rebellion became Jaguar developers to start with. 

And from Q+A sessions with him, where he's asked about Lynx AVP, for example:

Q) Did Alien VS. Predator on the Lynx ever get any further than the less than half finished prototype that is out there?

Jason Kingsley

No sadly not.

Q) The Lynx AVP prototype is incredibly impressive, what did you think of the hardware itself?

Jason Kingsley:

Hardware was awesome at the time, but doomed to obscurity by fate.

Q) Did you ever have any other Lynx games planned?

Jason Kingsley

I just can’t remember.

In cases such as these, it appears the individual asking the questions wasn't aware Rebellion were never involved  with the Lynx in any form, let alone AVP.