IGNORED

Is this a Unique Style or just Programmer Art?

Gemintronic

I guess I'm not really familiar with Super Pitfall, so most of the icons don't mean much to me... although I do recognize a few of them. If the game title has "Pit" or "Pitfall" in it, the connection will be made.

I don't know if this would be the final version, but the purple background makes them stand out, arguably not in a good way.

Ideas... Change size of some? Animate them? Less of them on the screen? Less colors on the screen at one time? Less variety of them on the screen at one time (ex. skull and treasure screen, or frogs and fish screen)? Consider a base row on the bottom? If it all matches the over-arching theme, leave it all as-is, and run with it confidently?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unlike most of the time where I make a compiled ROM that shows off the tiles I just lazily made this in Tiled.

The purple is color 0 (transparency) so in an actual running game it'd be black or whatever the background layer is.

Thank you for the advice!

It looks too grainy for my liking.

*edit: I assume you are trying to model it after the computer version of Super Pitfall? Whenever I hear that name I immediately think of the NES version, which is what I was picturing and has a cleaner style (not that it's necessarily good either, but that's asides the point, haha).

Edited by Austin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Austin said:

It looks too grainy for my liking.

*edit: I assume you are trying to model it after the computer version of Super Pitfall? Whenever I hear that name I immediately think of the NES version, which is what I was picturing and has a cleaner style (not that it's necessarily good either, but that's asides the point, haha).

A long, long time ago I entered a contest with a De-Make theme.  So, I made my graphics with Super Pitfall in mind but chunkier.  This year I "enhanced" my original tileset to be a touch less chunky with dithering.