IGNORED

Toki ?

With chained sprites, a wise use of the suzy offsets and a well optimized code, a sprite engine that uses 16x16 tiles can run over 30 FPS. I did it with lawnmower,.

And I code in C, with ASM the performace can be better.

• Like 1

The requirement / answer is 16x16 tiles (not 8x8 nor 8x16), at least for the tilemap

Basically 7*10 sprites for 1 plane,  7*12 is needed if you need left/right scrolling ...9*14 for multidirectionnal scrolling

so 126 sprites for a plane

ouch 

For horizontal scrolling 7*11 are enough, 8x12 are for 2 dimensions scrolling. For a tipical game if you add the main characters, some opponents, objects, score numbers, lives indicator, and some eyecandies, you reach about 140-150 tiles to draw.

Lawnmower uses a chain of 137 sprites every frame. 

But after 2 tile bases games on the lynx, I prefer other aproaches, for a platform, if you use a 2 levels background (for parallax scrolling), you can halve the number of sprites needed and have a nice effect.

1 hour ago, KanedaFr said:

The requirement / answer is 16x16 tiles (not 8x8 nor 8x16), at least for the tilemap

Basically 7*10 sprites for 1 plane,  7*12 is needed if you need left/right scrolling ...9*14 for multidirectionnal scrolling

so 126 sprites for a plane

ouch 

There might be other solutions. Since the Lynx is not fixed to a tile size, you could render the map divided in bigger chunks. (?)

Another good example is LynxQuest, big tile map with tons of sprites and detail.  

LynxBlast renders every level with 8x8 tiles btw. :-D

Edited by agradeneu

I agree with Toki being awesome: It does not update gfx at 60FPS obviously, but the controls and physics are spot on and it looks gorgeous!

Another showcase is Zarlor Mercenary: huge detailed maps with animations, destructable structures, tons of sprites and bullet hell, scaling effects and music!

Edited by agradeneu

Posted (edited)

I read this old post and suddenly, it seems more do-able... :)

I thought the Lynx would suffer with so much sprites but it seems I underestimated the beast ;)

Now I need to find the faster way to update x/y of a chain of sprites

10 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Another showcase is Zarlor Mercenary: huge detailed maps with animations, destructable structures, tons of sprites and bullet hell, scaling effects and music!

Thanks! exactly what I was looking for! I'll look to this game too.

Edited by KanedaFr

53 minutes ago, KanedaFr said:

I thought the Lynx would suffer with so much sprites but it seems I underestimated the beast ;)

Everybody did until God reveals the ultimate truth to them: the Lynx was the chosen one :D

Edited by LordKraken