IGNORED

Atari800 Emulator Start Button Not Working in 5200 Mode

I'm having a weird problem with the Atari800 emulator.  I use the native Linux version of Atari800 for my 5200 emulation and it usually works great but recently I've noticed that when I'm in Atari 5200 mode the start button (F4) no longer works.  All the other 5200 controller buttons seem to work, but not Start.  When I switch to any Atari 8-Bit computer the start button (F4) works as expected.  The problem is only under 5200 mode.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?  Is there some sort of setup or button mapping I can do?  The only thing I can see is that I can assign up/down/left/right and one of the fire buttons to keyboard buttons.  I don't see anything specific for the 5200 controller at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Start equates to the 800 console key which the 5200 doesn't have (it's Start buttons are part of the normal kb matrix - the keypad buttons on 5200 controllers will be mapped to normal keyboard keys.

I'm not sure if the default mapping will be useful or if you need to customize it to give the keys you need.

12 hours ago, Tempest said:

It was working before though.  I'm not sure how to customize keys in Atari800.  I'm not sure you can actually.

I think it's a fairly recent change that allows remapping keys.   Did this problem start after you upgraded atari800?

4 hours ago, zzip said:

I think it's a fairly recent change that allows remapping keys.   Did this problem start after you upgraded atari800?

I just tested it and it works in 5.0 but is broken in 5.2.  How do you customize keys?  Maybe that's the problem with 5.2?

4 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I just tested it and it works in 5.0 but is broken in 5.2.  How do you customize keys?  Maybe that's the problem with 5.2?

Looks like the feature was added in 5.0.0:

• support for remapping of all function keys (START, SELECT, OPTION etc)

I'm not sure how, are there option in the UI?

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Looks like the feature was added in 5.0.0:

• support for remapping of all function keys (START, SELECT, OPTION etc)

I'm not sure how, are there option in the UI?

Not that I can find.  I've looked and looked but I can't find it.

16 hours ago, Tempest said:

Not that I can find.  I've looked and looked but I can't find it.

I saved out a config file from 5.2.0,  there are a bunch of options in it like SDL_START_KEY=   and it looks like it takes a code.    I'll see if I can find more info.

But maybe try a config file created by 5.0.0 and see if it works with 5.2.0?   Or if you've been using an older config file, you might need to add those key mappings in.

2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

5.0 still works for me so I'm using that right now.  I'm not sure if 5.1 has the issue or not.

I looked through the source, and if you write out the config file with 5.2.0, the code it assigns to SDL_START_KEY will be the SDL code for F4 so the resulting config file should be correct.  

It also occurs to me that if F4 only fails in 5200 mode it might be a bug since there doesn't seem to be a separate 5200 mapping.   I looked on their github and there are some post-5.2.0 changes to input handling, but it's not clear it fixes this issue.

But I agree that unless you need a change in 5.1 or 5.2,  then might as well stick to 5.0.0 for now (I can't think of any that changes that have improved my user experience recently)

3 hours ago, zzip said:

I looked through the source, and if you write out the config file with 5.2.0, the code it assigns to SDL_START_KEY will be the SDL code for F4 so the resulting config file should be correct.  

It also occurs to me that if F4 only fails in 5200 mode it might be a bug since there doesn't seem to be a separate 5200 mapping.   I looked on their github and there are some post-5.2.0 changes to input handling, but it's not clear it fixes this issue.

But I agree that unless you need a change in 5.1 or 5.2,  then might as well stick to 5.0.0 for now (I can't think of any that changes that have improved my user experience recently)

What is the SDL code for F4? 

I think I tried making a fresh config file with 5.2 and it still had the problem.  I assume these SDL key assignments are something new in 5.1 or 5.2 and it's missing from my 5.0 config file?

3 minutes ago, Tempest said:

What is the SDL code for F4? 

I think I tried making a fresh config file with 5.2 and it still had the problem.  I assume these SDL key assignments are something new in 5.1 or 5.2 and it's missing from my 5.0 config file?

Supposedly the keymapping feature was added in 5.0 according to the changelog

The SDL key code for F4  is named SDLK_F4,   but it's actual value is defined as the result of a function:

#define SDLK_F4 SDL_SCANCODE_TO_KEYCODE(SDL_SCANCODE_F4)

SDL_SCANCODE_F4 has a decimal value of 61 according to this:  https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL2/SDLScancodeLookup  So there's a chance that the keycode is also 61,  or its value might be platform dependant which is why they use a function. 

But if you saved a config file from 5.2.0, the value it puts in SDL_START_KEY will be the correct decimal value of SDLK_F4 since it's hard-coded that way.

The config file I have from my 5.0 installation has this:

SDL_START_KEY=285

This does not work with 5.2 for some reason.  Is that what's in the 5.2 config file?

16 hours ago, Tempest said:

The config file I have from my 5.0 installation has this:

SDL_START_KEY=285

This does not work with 5.2 for some reason.  Is that what's in the 5.2 config file?

I checked mine last night and 285 is what I got.   It should be correct since the code that writes the config file just dumps the value of SDLK_F4.   I'm thinking it might be a bug.

Maybe try changing it to something else and see if you can use the new key to start 5200 games, or if the new key has the same behavior?