IGNORED

Vectrex HSC - May 2024 - Cosmic Chasm

Posted (edited)

HSCBigLogoForum.png.702973508970082b32bf70fae01b0d68.png

Round 4 - May 2024 - Cosmic Chasm

This is the current round being played in the Vectrex High Score Club. Join in and submit your scores!

Current scores & ranking:

1st playvectrex 90,320

2nd VF2048/Vorkosigan 39,875

3rd cheeko 39,150

4th Lord Innit  14,415

5th TheCurlyBard 9,215

6th hcmffm 7,590

7th jgkspsx 7,115

Welcome!

Typically, arcade games are ported to home systems. With Cosmic Chasm on the Vectrex it was the other way round: First, GCE had developed the game for the Vectrex and Cinematronics turned it into an arcade game.

Make sure to control your ship, shields and shots properly to make your way through chambers to the reactor and back.

CosmicChasm-280px.png.5be562329947e86c5e066013b4fa6efc.png

Availability

Cosmic Chasm is an official GCE / MB release. The binary of Cosmic Chasm is freely available to download from many places. Original cartridges of Cosmic Chasm are available and it's also included in all multicarts.

Sure enough Cosmic Chasm is available on Dr Snuggles emulator too:

https://drsnuggles.github.io/jsvecx/?rom=Commercial/Cosmic Chasm_1982

Manual

http://www.vectrex.de/_static/2024/Cosmic_Chasm_Manual.pdf

Settings

Game mode 1 (default)

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

Ah great, I only tried this briefly when I picked it up a couple months ago so super pumped to get a proper look at it this month.

Need to beat Hugh’s score though! (Whoever that is!) 😁

IMG_3773.thumb.jpeg.1fc2f9c6ff3d1e410bdfc889b7c2a7f3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cheeko said:

Ah great, I only tried this briefly when I picked it up a couple months ago so super pumped to get a proper look at it this month.

That's the good thing about the Vectrex HSC and the Vector War: You play games that you've never given much attention to.

1 hour ago, cheeko said:

Need to beat Hugh’s score though! (Whoever that is!) 😁

Shouldn't be much of a problem to beat dad and mum, but Norman and Hugh have decent scores. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Innit said:

Fingers crossed, I might be back with a working Vectrex soon. 

I hope so, I feel kind of guilty that I've been encouraging everyone to play more and your's goes and breaks! It sounds like it's repairable though

I'm really not doing well with this game, can't clear mission 1 yet. Keep getting random spawns right on top of me, or trapped with my shield up waiting for them to stop bouncing of me. Got to about 6500 I think, but didn't get a photo

• Like 2

Starting to get the hang of it again... pretty fun game once you figure out the controls.  I'm constantly going to press the shield as well and hitting the edge of the button and just mashing into it like it's going to work... nope, press the center of the button!! lol

image.thumb.jpeg.6773e9c201fd942f084088e34758601c.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheCurlyBard said:

I hope so, I feel kind of guilty that I've been encouraging everyone to play more and your's goes and breaks! It sounds like it's repairable though

Don't feel guilty, I play on the Vectrex a lot so I hadn't really increased the usage the console was getting. I won't get it repaired til October, when I will drop it off at the repair place recommended.  I've been in touch and we agreed it was the best way to avoid damage by the postal system.

I should get another Vectrex next week if a deal goes through.  It's had a recap too.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 2:58 PM, Lord Innit said:

I should get another Vectrex next week if a deal goes through.  It's had a recap too.

Cool. Good luck finishing that deal.

13 hours ago, playvectrex said:

I finally got the hang of this game again... still a bit rough, but after many games today I managed to pull a good one that went above my personal best :D 

Phew, that's a pretty high score, already. Well done, Brett!  . o O (Who can stop this guy winning every monthly round?)

Edited by hcmffm
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I'm improving, but that would be a long way to reach Brett's sphere:

Played on a Vectrex with the new RZ WASDX controller by Valsitsar Amiz, that I'm honored to test for him thoroughly. 😁

Keep calm guys, there are no special features that helps scoring. 😄 But it has a great responsiveness so far.

PXL_20240505_125152531.jpg

Edited by VF2048
  • Like 2

Highest Cosmic Chasm score ever? (as far as I know) :D 
Played for about 3 hours tonight and found a really great strategy for maximizing points,
but also this last game I guess I was finally warmed up and played really well in addition to having a good strategy, and this is the result!

playvectrex-cosmicchasm-90320-1.thumb.jpg.18c043de8995470f20d459c855415688.jpgplayvectrex-cosmicchasm-90320-2.thumb.jpg.87bfb353c03d2abe86ca28e4330973d3.jpg

The really cool part is I got it on video as well, and will upload it to my youtube channel at some point :D 

• Like 3

Slow start to this one, must admit the couple of times I fired up the Vectrex the last week I had a go on Scramble as I always hate unfinished business 😁 

Anyway, Cosmic Chasm! This game is pretty cool. Has quite an atmosphere to it, proper adventure.

The controls are bonkers though, apparently choosing between shooting and shield is an ordeal for me 😆

29 335

IMG_4513.thumb.jpeg.21f325ad6de578c994660cbec603dd18.jpeg

So, my questions!

Drilling the doors, sometimes I die when going through the doors, other times I sail through them, is there something I’m missing or should you just be cautious?

Going back out the level, am I correct in thinking you can just kill all the enemies in the first screen, then fly back out to come back in over and over again?

Lastly, who on earth makes enemies slightly smaller than the gap between your guns 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cheeko said:

So, my questions!

Drilling the doors, sometimes I die when going through the doors, other times I sail through them, is there something I’m missing or should you just be cautious?

Going back out the level, am I correct in thinking you can just kill all the enemies in the first screen, then fly back out to come back in over and over again?

Lastly, who on earth makes enemies slightly smaller than the gap between your guns 🤦🏻‍♂️

There's kind of a trick to how to do this... but if you fly into a door with the drill going, and also press the shield... if you don't go through you will bounce back instead of dying.  There are lots of little subtle ways in which it works and doesn't... so you'll have to experiment with what works best.

That's certainly a strategy... but pretty hard to not die while clearing the board.  When you leave though, you lose a life... and you miss out on 1000 points for blowing the place up when you leave.  The more levels you blow up though, I think the harder/faster/stronger it gets... but I'm not sure about that.  It might just be the longer you spend clearing boards the harder it gets.  So you have to make each life count for as many points as you can get.

Haha... I think that's totally by design so it wasn't super easy to just mow everything down.  You really have to aim, and also spray at times.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, cheeko said:

😆 Very true - consider this as an extra challenge.

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

Woo hoo! I have another Vectrex!   Cosmic Chasm 7575.   Is it actually possible to escape if you start in the bottom right corner?  I literally have the thrust on all the way out but run out of time before I can exit the final room.  Even going in a staight line as possible to each exit is not helping.  

Edit: Don't worry, I'm an idiot,  just realised I can drill another exit out.  

20240511_103413.jpg

Edited by Lord Innit
Being an idiot.
  • Like 3