IGNORED

What to do with a flaky HuCard (ear-ly in the mor-nin'...)

MegaManFan

I receently won a Galaga '90 for TurboGrafx-16 on eBay. Despite my feelings that $13 might be too much, I was tired of being outbid and happy to get one that was actually in the gem case, in the HuCard sleeve, instead of loose and/or unprotected. Odds are, I thought, this card will work.

Well.. it does, sort of.

After reseating it three or four times with no success, I decided to run the gamut of cards I owned (all whopping 8 of them) to see if it was my console. They all worked first try. I came back to Galaga '90 every other two and tried it once, and got nowhere. After testing all my other cards and thinking my '90 was a dud, I tried it one more time. Bingo! It worked on the 9th try.

Methinks to myself (meself?) that perhaps like an Atari or Nintendo cartridg, the contacts need a cleaning. Very gently (given how thin the card is and how small the contacts are) I apply a q-tip lightly dipped in rubbing alcohol to the edge, and dried with the other end. This time, it only took two tries. Somehow I'm not convinced the cleaning improved matters though, cause the tip didn't look dirty like it does when I scrub a non-working cartridge. I'm afraid to take the 90 out again, lest I go through another nightmare, from 2-22 or more attempts to fire it up.

My conclusions:

* The TG-16 I own works fine.

* The other 8 cards I own work fine.

* For some reason, my Galaga '90 from eBay is flaky.

So what to do with a flaky HuCard? (Ear-ly in the mor-nin'...)

I have the same problem with My Hero card for the SMS. It stopped working all together after the last cleaning though. Now it just says system error when I try it.

My TG16 Hu-cards all work fine and always have. I have never had to clean them.

Sorry I know this doesn't help you at all, just comiserating :)

Try putting a piece of Scotch tape on the underside of the HuCard across the end that goes into the TG16.

Hmm, interesting. Does this push the pin contacts up into place somehow? How long a piece of tape, and how thick? Run it all the way from the back end up to the pins, or just in the middle?

Not to worry old friend, I know you'd never pass off junk on me as good gaming. I trust you far more than I would almost any eBay transaction, save for sellers who are also AA users. :D

BTW thanks again for the housewarming gift. They were delicious! :D

I don't have a cleaning kit, since I've always used rubbing alcohol and plain old q-tups for my NES. But I'm going to try the tape trick right now. :D

Well I'll be damned! Lost Monkey, that worked perfectly. I removed and reinserted the card three times after the tape trick and it worked the firts time each try. Genius! :thumbsup:

I don't have a cleaning kit, since I've always used rubbing alcohol and plain old q-tups for my NES.  But I'm going to try the tape trick right now. :D

Well I'll be damned!  Lost Monkey, that worked perfectly.  I removed and reinserted the card three times after the tape trick and it worked the firts time each try.  Genius! :thumbsup:

If only NES games were as easy to fix...

Out of the all the NES carts I've ever bought or owned (hundreds) only a half dozen or less have ever been totally non-functional, meaning they couldn't be resurrected with a good cleaning. My failure rate on Atari carts has been a lot higher by comparison - at least a dozen or so duds I can think of, but then again I also own more Atari carts so that may not really prove anything.

Out of the all the NES carts I've ever bought or owned (hundreds) only a half dozen or less have ever been totally non-functional, meaning they couldn't be resurrected with a good cleaning.  My failure rate on Atari carts has been a lot higher by comparison - at least a dozen or so duds I can think of, but then again I also own more Atari carts so that may not really prove anything.

Different time period, different technology. :)

Out of the all the NES carts I've ever bought or owned (hundreds) only a half dozen or less have ever been totally non-functional, meaning they couldn't be resurrected with a good cleaning.  My failure rate on Atari carts has been a lot higher by comparison - at least a dozen or so duds I can think of, but then again I also own more Atari carts so that may not really prove anything.
Yes, but the DECKS...

When an NES cart slot gets loose, you can't just put tape under the cartridge.

You can bend the pins, or replace the connector altogether, or have someone custom meld a Game Genie into the inside of your deck for you. :twisted: :D
Yes. Mine was pin-bending.

But think how much easier a strip of scotch tape would be.

i wonder if that tape trick would work on a NES game.

I know that tape trick works on other things as well. At my old job, the ATM/Credict Card reader was very flacky, and if we put a thin plastic bag over the credit/ATM card, and slid it through it worked, so maybe this tape thing is more useful that previously thought