IGNORED

Kudos to Alcatraz BBS..

I visited the aforementioned bbs this evening - even though I do feel like I had setup an account already - perhaps it had been purged due to non acativity.

I grew up on 8bit/40 column bbs’s and was very much a fan. I wrote mods for the SUEPR early bbs softwares both for the Atari as well as the PC and was heavily involved in the whole hacking/phreaking scene as well as to a lesser extent, a software pirate/courier. A super tricked out BBS that didnt even recognize the original was something that always interested me and made the side “sticky” to me.

Unfortunately - due to the same reasons that nobody calls BBS’s anymore, I don’t really call them much either.. I get all the news pus a lot more, all of the software I need I can get on the internet, and usually - BBS’s people setup today just honestly look like crap I equate it to a band putting out their first album and everyone is nuts about it - but then every album from then on after went to crap. Ratt and Motley crue come to mind….

I have to say I was refreshed while logging into Alcatraz — I believe the software was Express, which typically makes my stomach to churn when I see it - but if someone hadnt of told me, I would have guessed Alcatraz to be OASIS, or Carina …  The sysop most assuredly has skills to recpature that pirate, or “elite” board feel. Of course the message bases and file areas are just as un-enthused as every other modern BBS out there today and who knows (Cares) about the doors section - never had an interest, don’t now and never will… 

Regardless of the file/msg areas being “whatever”, he awesome graphics and obvious pride in his BBS will make me check back from time to time. 

Kind of a large post about really not much of anything - but I hoped maybe my post might draw a new user or two to Alcatraz so people can enjoy it like I did (and maybe more)…

.lp

• Like 1

Well thank you but all the graphics were made by a few in the “elite” areas of the BBs community back then. 

I just got lucky that the disks that held the files were readable.  

I have no talent in atascii art. I have managed to adjust some of the menus as needed but that is about the limit. 

Amis created a few screens on FoReM xe. 

I do think there is an atascii art contest from time to time. 

but thank you again for the kudos. 

giarc 

14 hours ago, AtariPhreak said:

Unfortunately - due to the same reasons that nobody calls BBS’s anymore, I don’t really call them much either.. I get all the news pus a lot more, all of the software I need I can get on the internet, and usually - BBS’s people setup today just honestly look like crap I equate it to a band putting out their first album and everyone is nuts about it - but then every album from then on after went to crap. Ratt and Motley crue come to mind….

I think part of that is there are two main camps... people who are putting up old BBSs from back in the day (like SFHQ was a "reborn", or DarkForce was more of a "short break") and then you have the guys who just decide to put a new one up for whatever reason and those break down into people like Lastic who put tons of time into it, to the guys who might run something out of the box with a simple title screen change.

It's all about what moves you I guess.

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

I think part of that is there are two main camps... people who are putting up old BBSs from back in the day (like SFHQ was a "reborn", or DarkForce was more of a "short break") and then you have the guys who just decide to put a new one up for whatever reason and those break down into people like Lastic who put tons of time into it, to the guys who might run something out of the box with a simple title screen change.

It's all about what moves you I guess.

of course.. just commenting on a subject.. i would prefer to go back to analog without a single regret or second guess about it. 

21 minutes ago, AtariPhreak said:

of course.. just commenting on a subject.. i would prefer to go back to analog without a single regret or second guess about it. 

It's a great discussion... and a great call out for Giarc!

And yeah... I wouldn't mind either.  Better times.

On 5/2/2024 at 3:17 PM, moonlight_mile said:

Be careful of darklord. If he doesn’t like you he can use his Atari st mind tricks on you!  😂😂😂

Capture.thumb.JPG.6f927a3da67dcabeef547b76922a3f62.JPG

• Haha 1