IGNORED

CIO file rename issues

Hi,

I'm trying to write an assembly program that renames a file using CIO. For some reason, it just does not want to work although I've built the right input string.

Here's a code snippet that should work but apparently screws the file name:

LDX #1

LDA #$20

STA ICCOM,X

LDA #<BUFFER

STA ICBAL,X

LDA #>BUFFER

STA ICBAH,X

LDA #$08

STA ICAX1,X

LDA #0

STA ICAX2,X

JSR CIOV

BUFFER = "D1:OLD,NEW"

Any thoughts what am I doing wrong? The file will be renamed to wwwwwwww.www 

14 hours ago, whomper said:

Hi,

I'm trying to write an assembly program that renames a file using CIO. For some reason, it just does not want to work although I've built the right input string.

Here's a code snippet that should work but apparently screws the file name:

LDX #1

LDA #$20

STA ICCOM,X

LDA #<BUFFER

STA ICBAL,X

LDA #>BUFFER

STA ICBAH,X

LDA #$08

STA ICAX1,X

LDA #0

STA ICAX2,X

JSR CIOV

Any thoughts what am I doing wrong? The file will be renamed to wwwwwwww.www 

Hi,

Thanks, a typo on my side entering it here.

Here's the fixed code that does not work

LDX #$10

LDA #$20

STA ICCOM,X

LDA #<BUFFER

STA ICBAL,X

LDA #>BUFFER

STA ICBAH,X

LDA #$08

STA ICAX1,X

LDA #0

STA ICAX2,X

JSR CIOV

Another quick update, found the issue.

When issuing XIO (extended CIO for disk) commands (greater than $0C) for ICCOM, both ICAX1 and ICAX2 must be 0. I had sent $08 amounts other attempts, which worked for me for commands such as protect and unprotect, but rename got messed up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure what assembler your using, but this is using MADS and this works :) , MADS uses single quotes for ASCII strings, yours may use double

usually strings are defined as BUFFER .byte "D1:OLD.TXT,NEW.TXT",$9b

The file "header.h" has all the Atari System Equates in it.

I always close a channel before opening, just in case.

2 things that are probably wrong with your example, strings usually have to be terminated with $9b

and the other filenames in DOS again usually require the "." even if there's no extension.

If you think about it without a terminator or period it doesn't know the length of the filename or the extension.

icl "header.h"
    org $600
    LDX #16
     LDA #CLOSE ICCOM,X
    JSR CIOV    
    LDX #16
    LDA #$20
    STA ICCOM,X
    LDA #<NEW
    STA ICBAL,X
    LDA #>NEW
    STA ICBAH,X
    LDA #$12
    STA     ICAX1,X    
    LDA #0
    STA ICAX2,X
    JSR CIOV
    rts

NEW     .byte 'D1:OLD.TXT,NEW.TXT',$9b

Edited by TGB1718

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

the other filenames in DOS again usually require the "." even if there's no extension.

If you think about it without a terminator or period it doesn't know the length of the filename or the extension.

The comma tells DOS the length of the first filename, and the string terminator indicates the length of the second one. Internally, DOS will pad both names with spaces before attempting a directory match on the first one or rename operation using the second one, so the presence or absence of an extender should not matter in the least.

Sorry @flashjazzcat but you do need the period for the filename to determine the filename length without the extension, the OS searches the input string

for the period to determine this as it copies the filename to it's internal buffer, once it finds the period, it then searches for the comma

for the file extension length, etc. until it has the source and destination filenames.

The code that does this is around $B680 to $B6EF, it checks for the period at $B696 and the comma at $B6A0

What Dos are you referring to that has code in the B600 area?  Cart based SDX?

I think that the filespec needs the EOL terminator - so follow the "D1:OLD,NEW" with ,$9B

And shouldn't it be BUFFER .BYTE "D1:OLD,NEW" and not BUFFER =

I would have thought that would generate an assembly error.

15 minutes ago, Rybags said:

What Dos are you referring to that has code in the B600 area?  Cart based SDX?

Using 130XE U1M with SDX :)

16 minutes ago, Rybags said:

And shouldn't it be BUFFER .BYTE "D1:OLD,NEW" and not BUFFER =

Hence my comment, "not sure what assembler your using", I've never seen BUFFER = before either.

Strangely if you ask Micro$oft CoPilot for an example it comes back with this very similar looking code 🙃

Still wouldn't work, but closer 

LDX #1
    LDA #$20
    STA ICCOM,X ; Set command to rename
    LDA #<BUFFER
    STA ICBAL,X ; Set low byte of buffer address
    LDA #>BUFFER
    STA ICBAH,X ; Set high byte of buffer address
    LDA #$08
    STA ICAX1,X ; Set function code for rename
    LDA #0
    STA ICAX2,X ; Clear any flags
    JSR CIOV ; Call CIO routine

BUFFER:
    .BYTE "D1:OLD,NEW",0 ; Old and new file names

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

you do need the period for the filename to determine the filename length without the extension, the OS searches the input string

for the period to determine this as it copies the filename to it's internal buffer, once it finds the period, it then searches for the comma

for the file extension length, etc. until it has the source and destination filenames.

Uhm, what?

I just tried. XIO 32,#1,0,0,"D:OLD,NEW" from BASIC and it worked. Can you demonstrate an example where it does not work without the period?

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Sorry @flashjazzcat but you do need the period for the filename to determine the filename length without the extension, the OS searches the input string

The code that does this is around $B680 to $B6EF, it checks for the period at $B696 and the comma at $B6A0

Err... no. There is no "internal buffer", and the only thing CIO does is to determine the handler responsible for XIO, and for that it locates only the letter upfront the colon, and that is it - it just passes the command to the handler found from HATABS. Everything beyond that point is interpreted by the FMS once it receives the command. Whether it needs a period or not depends on the FMS. For DOS 2 and related file systems, no period means just that the file name extension is blank, but the period is not exactly needed.