IGNORED

Guys, should we include 2 Player Tron in our list of split screen games?

Posted (edited)

Guys, I need some advice.

I have been helping in another thread to make lists of Atari 2600 split screen games.  (link)

There is a game called 2 Player Tron by @Mr SQLLink  ROM

Hello, @Mr SQL!  Please feel welcome to join this discussion.  

I played the game enough that I agree that it is a true split screen.  (My light cycle can appear in your split screen and your light cycle can appear in mine.)  

So, 2 Player Tron would then normally be added to the lists in the same category as Hellway 2 Players Edition ("true split screen" games).

But I hesitate to list it there, and I'll tell you guys why.  Because 2 Player Tron doesn't seem like a "finished" game to me.  It seems more like a "proof of concept," a demonstration that the technology works, but not really a finished homebrew game, ready to be put onto carts and shipped out to customers.  

Guys, please download this ROM and have a look at it.  Do you see what I mean?  

So, guys, I ask you, what are your opinions?  Should 2 Player Tron be included in our list of split screen games?  Please comment, below.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

Living Room Arcade asked me to share my perspective, essentially on what is a video game.

Video games are art and there are many different types of art.

I think Two Player Tron is an abstract game, if you like SSSnake (also Tron Light Cycles genre) you probably like abstract games.

I will be adding a difficulty switch per @Living Room Arcade's tests slowing the game down in Stella to 30% speed to make it more playable for players without Ultra reflexes.

Do you prefer StarShip or Star Raiders? I like them both, one is abstract and the other is more complex in the same genre. 

I like to write complex games and abstract games and I like both programming languages, BASIC and Assembly.

Here are two examples of complex and abstract video game art you may or may not like.

My ARKANOID clone Pong Music Demo vs my sideways Breakout game SCROLLOUT Follow the Ball which is more abstract -
You may find it interesting the more abstract game is written in Assembly in this instance which is a good illustration that no one should stereotype what games BASIC or Assembly can produce.

SCROLLOUT Follow the Ball features block graphics that look like a 70's game from the RCA Studio II but once you break free into the land beyond you can follow the ball with the camera.

There's a French review of SCROLLOUT Follow the Ball linked on the thread where the French reviewer is quite captivated with abstract game art. You'll also see on the thread there are Atari fans who would like abstract games on cart. Indeed @Albert and I have discussed the abstract sideways Breakout clone but never the ARKANOID clone. For fans of the sideways Breakout genre I suggest Krakout on the C64.

Pong Music Demo is fun ARKANOID clone that is a more complex game and is fun to watch complete the levels on it's own as a screen saver. You can push up to play the game anytime however (note the ball may go offscreen and bounce around if you catch the S powerup, this is a feature).

Appreciating Art:

Art appreciation is up to the beholder including Audio Visuals in Video Games and really anything gained for presentation, even a Football game. Some fans may rate one of my games a 10 while others may rate the same game a 2. 

Here are two thread examples to compare Abstract and complex Video Game Art:

• Like 1