IGNORED

BattleSphere Gold: First Impressions

Gunstar

Well, my copy of BSG arrived today, and While I don't have time to check it out thoroughly yet, I did give it a whirl for about ten minutes and let the demo mode play for a bit. First thing I noticed were the new graphic screens at the beginning and the menus, they are nicer and do load significantly faster than in BSC. The second thing I noticed upon letting the demo play was that the demo A.I. is as lame as ever and 99% of the time all you see is whirling stars and not much else, isn't a demo supposed to show off the game? it never worked well in BSC and it doesn't here either. So, if you want to really check out the new ingame graphics, you've got to play the game yourself. Well, the new background bitmaps of galaxies and nebula look a lot better, as do the photon shots fired and the explosions and such, they aren't higher resolution, just higher color depth, so from a reasonable distance they do look better than the old gfx, up close, it's still blocky and makes no difference. I haven't been able to check out the new alien race yet, or the bonus "easter egg" games and such, I'll make my way to the code page tonight...Overall, there seem to be some nice new touches to Gold, and getting JUGS/JUGSDD and the demo disc added in are nice, but I can't say all if it is worth the full $165 I payed (including shipping). If it sold for the original price of $74.95 (maybe add $10-15 on for the JugsDD; I came to this conclusion based on the extra cost of Protector:SE w/jagfreecd over the original), then add in the prices of JUGS and the demo disk seperately, what is the total? Demo disc: $14.95, Jugs: $29.95, BSG: $84.95-89.95= $130-135+shipping= $135-$140 aproximately...yeah, it's a bit overpriced: $25-$30 overpriced. But oh well, it's BATTLESPHERE right? If you can get a copy, get it, it's a good game with cool extras, but don't hold out for Gold if you come across BSC for less, BSC is good enough, you'll have no more fun playing gold in the end, after the slightly improved graphics have worn thin. Oh, and the clear cartridge case; who cares? not me.

By the way, anyone want to buy a copy of JUGS for half the price ScatoLogic charged? I certainly don't need two copies, especially since I never use even one, since I got Protector:SE with the BJL (it's a LOT better IMHO).

gunstar can you not copy the jugs disc if you already have a copy? :?

Not sure what you mean..for back-up purposes? I suppose, but since I never use it, I don't need a back-up. But the com port adapter is still needed to use it, and I don't need two of them either...

i have a copy but i was curious to see if i could burn copies and i wonder if radio shack would have the connection that comes with bsg?

The connector could be easily self-fabricated from parts bought at RadioShack, but I doubt VERY much they have anything like it ready-made. It's possible to burn copies for your own personal back-up, but I don't see why you would need another adapter if you have one, unless your talking about selling clones/copies of the JUGS system, which would be illegal.

Hello!

...Oh, and the clear cartridge case; who cares? not me.

Perhaps you don't care about the "necessity" to use this new shell-type,

but you should consider it's influence on the price of the product.

Matthias

But that's the whole point! It Isn't necessary and to be forced to pay more to have it is ridiculous. It would be fine if two versions were made like the Scatbox, for those of us who don't care about see through plastic. Therefore I will not consider it's influence on the price of the product.

Gunstar -

Did you get your copy of BSG off of eBay, or did you get it from somewhere else? I'd love to get a 2nd copy of BSphere, I still haven't played it networked until this day :_( As soon as I get back to the States and get a job I'm going to go BSphere hunting :wink: I'd rather not try and get it from eBay, but if I need to I will. :D

It's funny, after all the hype and all the great reviews it got, I found myself bored with BS after only an hour or so. Now this isn't a slam on Thunderbird or anyone invovled with BS or BSG, but I guess I'm just jaded. I'm sick of the whole space dog fight genre, and to me BS didn't provide anything fresh so back into the game drawer it went.

Now I wonder what will happen to all those promises of "CD expansion extras" that came with BSG. Oh well, at least it completed my Jag collection.

Tempest

Gunstar -  

Did you get your copy of  BSG off of eBay, or did you get it from somewhere else? I'd love to get a 2nd copy of BSphere, I still haven't played it networked until this day :_(  As soon as I get back to the States and get a job I'm going to go BSphere hunting  :wink: I'd rather not try and get it from eBay, but if I need to I will.   :D

Guess you must have missed the "BATTLESPHERE GOLD AVAILABLE????" thread that seems to be pretty hard to miss...with all caps and a bunch of question marks... :roll:

:wink:

Whoops, I did miss that one. Since I have to go to a cyber cafe and pay to use the net here(which I do about once a week), when I pass by here there are so many new threads and such that I just read one or two threads really quick...I'll be checking that out however :) That's what's nice about having the net at home, you don't have to worry about time limits and such....

• 4 weeks later...

I quite like the game, but it's hard to determine whether it's because of the enormous cost. :)

A lot is always being made of the graphics but most of the time the screen is fairly empty, but it's space after all. The ships are all well designed and I love the spinning debris when they explode. The joypad is pretty terrible and leads to a sore thumb pretty quickly but there's not much we can do about that...

A great aspect is the fact that there are lots of playmodes, from quick free for all to the strategic campaign. One thing is evident - that it's a labour of love. Everything is very polished.

It's good fun, and the sort of thing you have to buy given the chance, if not just for the notoriety. But fanboy talk of it being as good graphically as Colony Wars on the PSX is exaggeration.

I was always curious to see BSG in action as it's one of the Jag's killer apps. Suppose I'll have to see Iron Soldier 2 at some point too. No Jag-CD though...

I did buy the game mainly out of curiosity, thinking I'd always regret missing the opportunity if I didn't. I reasoned that I'd be able to at least break even by selling it if I didn't like it, but I'll be keeping it.

By weird coincidence I was just pondering selling all my Jag stuff on eBay when I got the mail from Thunderbird. No chance of that happening now. :)

I'm sick of the whole space dog fight genre, and to me BS didn't provide anything fresh so back into the game drawer it went.

The thing that was different about BS - at least to me - was the fact that the different play modes really helped draw you in. I loved some of the modes, but not others. Battlesphere just had a ton of different modes in it, and I really enjoyed some of them, but not all.

Pull it out and try playing through one of each playmode, and see if one "sticks" or not.