IGNORED

Is the Ultimate-II cartridge still considered the most feature rich "flash cart" for the C64?

I suppose it depends what you want to use it for.

Floppy disk emulator

ROM cartridge emulator

RAM expansion

Secondary SID chip

Networking (I think it does?)

etc

No other product is likely to do all of those. Some do one or two of those, often at a rather lower price.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

I suppose it depends what you want to use it for.

Well I started with just basic needs with the Backbit Pro for loading cartridge rom and floppy images which it does super well.  All except it doesn't handle multiple disk images mounted at once or in order.

So then looked into KungFu cart and the popular Pi1541.  But with the Ultimate II (and variants) doing soooo much, it seemed liked the perfect companion to the C64 to actually play around.

Posted (edited)

Like I said, there is no comparison to the Ultimate II+. I have had them all. I currently also have a BackBit Pro (actually three of them) and while it does a great job for the most part it has nowhere near the compatibility of the UII+. The compatibility of the UII+ is basically what you would get with real floppies and real disk drives. And cartridge images too. And so much more.

And, it has the REU built in. You might think "I'll never use that"...but, once you do you will realize how you can never do without it :)

If I were you I'd keep an eye on Gideon's page and buy it when it becomes available. Since he moved to the Lattice FPGA (the "L" in the name now) there has been no issue acquiring parts and he has restocked multiple times over the past weeks/months. 

And, when you do order I would suggest to add the tape cassette adapter to the order as well. Its cheap enough and might as well when you order the UII+ right then and there. Then you will have the .tap compatibility as well. With that setup you pretty much don't need anything else. At least I don't!

EDIT: You can actually just order it now on "backorder" and it will ship when stock arrives...which according to his page should be any time now. I would just do that. I have ordered from him many times...never an issue.

Edited by eightbit

On 5/8/2024 at 10:55 PM, eightbit said:

when you do order I would suggest to add the tape cassette adapter to the order as well.

I definitely want that capability.

I never had a tape drive growing up and only recently saw them in action a year or two ago.  I had no idea some games played music while the tape loaded!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RockLobster said:

I never had a tape drive growing up and only recently saw them in action a year or two ago.  I had no idea some games played music while the tape loaded!

I mean I grew up with a c64 and tapes (I grew up in Europe and disk drives were way way too expensive, I got one 4y in and barely used it as even the disks ended up being too expensive for me so traded it back in for an MSX1 + dedicated datasette [a Philips]) and I do not miss them one bit … I mean if it’s cheap enough as an add on may as well but tapes are what they are.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Sounds a bit like me. I bought my older brother's C64 in 1986. It came with a handful of floppy disks he had collected, but no drive. It took me until 1990 before I could afford a 1541-II, so for four years I could only look at the floppy disks and imagine what they may contain. Two years later I upgraded to an Amiga 500+, but could afford to keep the 8-bit setup.