IGNORED

Would anyone be interested in working on another mega demo?

I just got an email from Ramon de Bruijn from the Desire demo group, who facilitated the first TI-99/4A mega demo in 2016-17. The demo got around 30,000 views on YouTube in the first couple of days, which was pretty amazing (maybe the title "Don't mess with Texas" attracted a lot of people without any interest in the computer, but I choose to believe it was because of our hard work). It's now 7 years ago, and the email made me wonder if anyone would be interested in participating in a new demo, which or course would have to be more impressive than the first? Then floor is open.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I, for one, would love a new demo to exhibit at VCF.  Probably too late for this year, but VCF-SE appears to be focusing on the 45th anniversary of the 99/4.

• Like 3

Maybe! Not sure what kind of time I have these days.

My music player's a little more efficient now at least, if we wanted to use that. The framework we had was pretty good though.

Wonder what kind of effects we could pull off...

• Like 2

After my shower I have the idea for my part. ;)

The rules last time were 32k machine, I believe we reserved the 8k block for the loader and music, and you could use the last 24k. We had some library functions to help interface with the megademo framework. You'd run for 'x' amount of time then pass back to the demo controller to load the next demo (and I believe all demos allowed space bar to skip).

With that framework we made three versions - a stock version with 32k and a 180k floppy, a variation of that which loaded the entire demo to AMS first for faster transitions, and a ROM cartridge version to replace the disk.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 1:42 AM, Tursi said:

After my shower I have the idea for my part. ;)

The rules last time were 32k machine, I believe we reserved the 8k block for the loader and music, and you could use the last 24k. We had some library functions to help interface with the megademo framework. You'd run for 'x' amount of time then pass back to the demo controller to load the next demo (and I believe all demos allowed space bar to skip).

With that framework we made three versions - a stock version with 32k and a 180k floppy, a variation of that which loaded the entire demo to AMS first for faster transitions, and a ROM cartridge version to replace the disk.

It would be cool if the demo could run on an unexpanded console, but I think we do need some RAM for the music player etc., so then we would need a cartridge with some RAM, e.g. one that was compatible with the FinalGROMs RAM mode. Just an idea, it's probably more realistic to require 32K.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Rolling  around in my head for a long time: a big update a little demo of mine. 

What kind of timeframe are we looking at?

I imagine it could be 6-12 months, however, I don't have any specific ideas for effects at the moment, so it's all up in the air. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2024 at 1:15 AM, Gary from OPA said:

Emulators allowed or not?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'allowed'? The demo should certainly run on real iron, but I would expect people to use emulators for development.

Posted (edited)

No greater compliment for a demo than being called fake. ;)

(To be honest, the damn thing runs in my own emulator and I still can't believe some of the effects work. ;) )

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, RamonB5^dSr said:

If there is any help in music or gfx side required then @Asmusr knows where to find me and the dSr family :)

Thank you. For the music, at least, I think we are going to need some help. And I think it would be great to make it another demo under the dSr umbrella.

I have one idea for an effect now. Nothing groundbreaking - just some layered scrolling.

We also need more raster effects, any ideas?

And does anyone have an idea for a theme? I wouldn't mind moving away from the 'Lone Star' thing. 🙂

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

It would be cool! :) 
@Asmusr could I try to create some pixelart images to use in the demo with the same bitmap job that I have used for the WestBank graphics?

Sure, all demos need some pixel art. Maybe enriched with sprites?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asmusr said:

And does anyone have an idea for a theme? I wouldn't mind moving away from the 'Lone Star' thing. 🙂

My idea involves animating a lot of recognizable  4A sprites in hilarious ways.  Recognizing the history, but re-mixing it. 

• Like 1