IGNORED

Now I've done it...

I had been looking at easing back into the 8bit Atari scene for a while and when this popped up on Ebay. The seller says it was all stored in an attic

and probably doesn't have more than 20 or so hours use on it. When they sent me a discounted offer...I took it. I got everything in the picture for

$199.00.

Whatcha think?

PS Assuming it all works, I guess an Incognito would be a good route to take?

s-l1600.thumb.webp.a06d21ee8bcf4c66e780f6153f5b2a6a.webp

• Like 18

Posted (edited)

Looks like a nice machine and peripherals.

pop open the 1027 and look at the print head, if it is good it needs to be sent to someone for measuring and re creation.

The tape player may need belts.

The drive may need a clean and lube.

Welcome back to the club!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DarkLord said:

I had been looking at easing back into the 8bit Atari scene for a while and when this popped up on Ebay. The seller says it was all stored in an attic

and probably doesn't have more than 20 or so hours use on it. When they sent me a discounted offer...I took it. I got everything in the picture for

$199.00.

Whatcha think?

Total bargain! Over here in the UK you'll pay £250-£320 ($300ish to $400ish) alone for just the 800, (ebay), on average!

I'd definitely treat the 800 to an Incognito upgrade.😊

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Gotta wait till it gets here and examine everything, but for the 800, the Incognito looks like the way to go.

:)

My advice - if they are shipping  - is to have the 800 shipped in it's own box, and the other stuff in another box. It will almost certainly get damaged if in with other things and can break under it's own weight if not on it's base, centered in a box, with loadsa of bubblewrap, and stopped from moving around. Also, have the brick psu's kept well aware from the 800 keyboard or casing. I've had the stakpole/hitech plunger style keys and also casings trashed where the brick psu was resting on or near the computer and got loose. Bubblewrap is the best. The worst is either newspaper or packing peanuts/chips on their own.

If it's not been sent yet I'd ask the seller to do the following, which I'd outlined in my reply in this thread here. It's totally worth their time as  the seller to do this:

Edit: also - see my full step by step pdf of the incognito install in my signature, if you decide to do it yourself.

Really hope this arrives in one piece :) 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, DarkLord said:

$199.00.

Whatcha think?

No modem or 850/PR... so ... totally worthless... doorstop worthy! :P

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

No modem or 850/PR... so ... totally worthless... doorstop worthy! :P

Let me guess - but you'd be happy to "take one for the team" and take it off my hands?  :)

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Let me guess - but you'd be happy to "take one for the team" and take it off my hands?  :)

I can help with that too...  :D

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think an SX212 would make it worth your while, wait, I have one here, you could send it over and I'll make sure it's all good. ;) lol

You know the BBS crowd. We can't help ourselves 😮

Edited by _The Doctor__

16 hours ago, DarkLord said:

I'll happily trade the 800 for an 850.  It's fifty better than the computer!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Actually, no.... I already have an 800 (with a Sophia no less!) but maybe if you had asked REAL NICE I might have offered you a way to fix that problem. :P

15 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I think an SX212 would make it worth your while, wait, I have one here, you could send it over and I'll make sure it's all good. ;) lol

You know the BBS crowd. We can't help ourselves 😮

OMFG!  The SX212 is XE GREY... DUH!

You need an 835.

3 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I'll happily trade the 800 for an 850.  It's fifty better than the computer!

Not only is it 50 points newer, it's also a much smaller form factor!  Way easier to transport and has way more expansion ports!

• Haha 2

You can go incognito, but honestly, a fujinet and a multicart covers everything without modding at all.   Also, almost all the carts have been dumped, so unless you are doing something heavy duty, may only need the fujinet and play the carts via binaries

5 minutes ago, mickster said:

You can go incognito, but honestly, a fujinet and a multicart covers everything without modding at all.

How do you figure? An 800 without Incognito is limited to 48KB of standard RAM. That's going to leave a lot of 64KB software out -- not to mention 64KB+ software.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MrFish said:

How do you figure? An 800 without Incognito is limited to 48KB of standard RAM. That's going to leave a lot of 64KB software out -- not to mention 64KB+ software.

Yes, that is correct, but as a whole, most software will run on the 800.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mickster said:

Yes, that is correct, but as a whole, most software will run on the 800.  

Right... the 800 is more than adequate out of the box for getting on with the library; but when you start seeing what you're missing out on (which is significant), it's going to make you want to do something about it, eventually -- either by going Incognito or buying a 64K machine to supplement it; plus, the Incognito is one super upgrade (among all upgrades available for any Atari 8-bit machine). There's hardly any one upgrade available that can top it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MrFish said:

Right... the 800 is more than adequate out of the box for getting on with the library; but when you start seeing what you're missing out on (which is significant), it's going to make you want to do something about it, eventually -- either by going Incognito or buying a 64K machine to supplement it; plus, the Incognito is one super upgrade (among all upgrades available for any machine). There's hardly any one upgrade available that can top it.

Couldn't agree more. :) Best thing to do with an 800 is upgrade it  - and on balance Incognito is the best IMHO.

It gives you a lot of flexlibility, whilst still not giving up on the core feel of the machine. In my 800 you'd never notice from the outside it wasn't a stock machine. Incognito's inbuilt side2 loader which allows XEX and ATRs to load really quickly via CF based PBI HDD. I've 1000s of games in my CF library. Bios allows you to switch back to a core 800 setup. Best of all, if you do the ATR light emitter mode, you have a totally discreet way of mounting multi disk ATRs like the 3 x disk image The Brundles and running them off the 800.  

For me having the ability to have 64k as a mimimum on my a8s is a must. I upgrade all my 600XL's to 64k straight away (from the stock 16k).

I simply couldn't leave a machine with only 48k and miss out on all the great 64k minimum games. All my 800XL's will either get the Rambo XL 256k treatment, (cost of perhaps £30)m  or U1MB, (£90 odd). And all my XEs will either get the 320k upgrade, (cost of around £20), or again U1MB. Appreciate here you are having the skills to do these internal mods).

Of course there are - at times - cheaper ways to do the latter for XE line and the 800XL/600XLs (in the form of the Avg and subavg carts - which then can just be moved from one stock machine to the other). 

But I digress - wer are talkin about the 800 and the incognito. :) 

Finally, there is nothing more satisfying than booting up 1mb demos like Alley dog or the amazing Rewind demo on an Incognito'd 800.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1