IGNORED

Flashing Saroo Card without a PC

tripletopper

I got a Saroo card on eBay, and I have my own 512GB Micro SD card.  My seller on eBay sent me a file to "flash it myself" since I didn't buy a 32 GB card.

I don't have a PC so I can't follow the normal instructions.

I have a Mac Mini M2 and a Motorola One Ace 5G Android as my computing devicesI.

got my file stored in an email unprocessed on my Moto.

What would be the best way to prepare the SD card, and how do I flash it for Sega Saturn Saroo?

Posted (edited)

For generic Saroo

https://github.com/martinx72/SAROO_Firmware/

nowhere there it mentions a PC.

Make sure you can validate the fpga and mcu versions as suggested.

The actual link to the prepared files is https://github.com/martinx72/SAROO_Firmware/releases

Or you can always just unpack the files you have been given into the sd card on your Mac … I assume you know how to do that and I expect they would follow the generic layout explained above.

You surely do not like to do any legwork yourself and you seem to just ask for help even before trying … I literally just googled “how to flash a saroo” and clicked on the first link which is to a Reddit post with the links to the above.

Here is another one:

I assume you know how to format your sd card fat32 or exfat with your Mac (card should be formatted already), that you know how to uncompressed the files and then copy them over on your Mac.

Edited by phoenixdownita

That's easy enough.

I read there are problems with "misflashing" the Saroo card and that what my Saroo Card Salesman on eBay said.

So just move my  files from my Android which got the email to the Micro SD, then while physically connected, unzip the files within the SD card.

Or if that doesn't work, send it to my Mac and deal it.

I heard Apple alters files in drag and drops and I should use Total Commander for transfers to avoid the Apple coding.  That's why Nintendo suggests not doing Switch SD transfers with a Mac. 

Also, I liked the older search methods when you can use Boolean search terms and searches were not filtered to either political extreme or the highest bidder.

I'll tell you what I did and how it worked out 

First thanks for the link to the Saroo OS/menu.

I downloaded it on a Mac, dragged it into my Desktop, formatted a 512 G Micro SD as Fat32.  Then I just dragged the Saroo folder in the empty main folder.

Then I took a game download, had it as a folder of Bins and a Cue.  Dragged THAT folder into the ROMs Folder.

Saw one game on the menu and played it.

I had a sound issue local to me because I'm getting Twitch TalkBack mixed as a synthesized voice, on my Mac and mixed with Game Audio.  But I fixed it by Tuning my HDMI to the RetroTink, and then Setting the Retrotink on YCbCr.

I had a hard time pressing buttons, but I don't know if that was from lack of use and have to be loosened, or if the pad doesn't work.  I'll know for sure when I try my Fight Or Flight Sinister Stick with a Wingman SD, when a part comes in by next Friday.

2 additional questions and my "first assumption answers"

1.  How do I transfer my game saves on my main memory card to my SD Card?  I assume I put a disc battery in the Saturn, insert card, transfer as much as I can into the international memory, then shut it off, load Saroo,  create a Data card, load info from the internal memory to the SD card, and repeat (except fitting it on one memory card instead of creating new memory cards.). Make that a save bank for all my physical games.

Second question   Do games have to be directly in the ROM folder, or can there be folders of "Categories" like by Game Manufacturer, game types like fighting games all in one folder, etc., or chunking the alphabet into manageable  single menu choices,  like A-B, C-F, G-K etc

... .

One way I can find out. ... All I'm losing is one game and I can get it back.

Also are the listings 1:1 or can a game appear in multiple menus (like by number of players, by game style, from game company, personal rating, etc....)?