IGNORED

FDSKey - This thing is awesome!

Posted (edited)

So, I recently replaced the belt in my Sharp Twin Famicom which was quite a major achievement...for me at least. Then I went out to try to get some of the games on Famicom Disk that I wanted to try. And then I realized something. Some of these games are ridiculously expensive, and that is if you can find them at all! 

I started researching if there were some sort of "Gotek" for the FDS and as it turns out there is. Probably nothing new to folks deep into the Famicom world, but I figured I would give it a try. I ordered these two items on Aliexpress and I thing it came up to around $45 total at the time of my purchase:

First, a cable needed for the Twin Famicom in my case:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806564110548.html

And then the unit itself:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805704857691.html

After some time waiting they both arrived today and man am I glad I made this purchase. I did have to update the firmware for the key itself which was stupid easy. And then I was off to the races. Everything is controlled via the navigation on the stick, from navigating folders and so on to going in and adjusting settings. It is really quite advanced. Nice little FDS animations when things are loading and flipping sides on disks. The screen is MIGHTY small which is really my only complaint since I am getting old and going blind. But otherwise what a nice presentation.

Here is the project page for this device BTW:

https://github.com/ClusterM/fdskey

And a little demo of it in action from Youtube that I found:

I have no affiliation with any of these people or the Aliexpress seller (other than the fact that I can recommend him as I actually got my stuff..hah!) but I can absolutely recommend this if you have an FDS. I grabbed the English translation pack of disk images found online (Google it, I will not share the link or files of course) and it's going to be mighty cool to play through the original Zelda FDS game translation!

I will mention if you have a Twin Famicom like I do and you grab one of these make sure you are on firmware v1.3. This shipped to me with v1.2 and it would disk error on loading half of the games. I grabbed the latest v1.3 which surprise surprise was updated for Twin Famicom support:

https://github.com/ClusterM/fdskey/releases

Popped the FDSKey.bin on the root of the microSD and powered on the console with it connected while depressing all four buttons. The upgrade went smoothly and even provided an option to delete the update file after completion which is nice. 

While I am still getting into the settings there are many. Stuff like turbo speed for loading games, allowing the key to start at the same directory you last left off after power cycle, some saving options like "backup + over right" which keeps a backup of the disk unaltered and saves to the altered copy of the disk, and something called "everdrive like" which saves the game in the method of how an Everdrive does it (Everdrive compatible saves format).  All of the settings and their explanations are on the GitHub link. Really nice device for the price I will say.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Seems nice but if you don't have any FDS pieces and own an everdrive, is there a good reason to bite on that device and the ram adapter which is needed too?

Well, I know when I owned an Everdrive for the Famicom previously it really did not do a good job of emulating the audio on FDS games. I can't say if that has changed with the Pro models as I do not own any of them at all so maybe someone with a Famicom ED Pro can chime in and let us know. 

All I can say is owning an actual FDS (Twin Famicom) and knowing how the games load, this is literally a "Gotek" of what that experience is. I think the Everdrive is emulating (excuse me if that is not the proper terminology) the FDS when it is loading games. All I know is that the older model I had was horrible with the sound...knowing what the FDS games should sound like. I'd expect that to not be a thing with the Pro versions especially at their cost.

But if all you want to do is accurately play FDS images on a FDS system you own I can't imagine you are going to get any device at this price point that can do it. Under $50? Now isn't that nice ;) If you already own a FDS it is for sure. My post is kind of pointing at folks who already own one like me and are looking for a cool device to use with it. BUT, that doesn't mean someone like yourself who doesn't own an FDS shouldn't seek one out.

I am gauging my experience on an old Everdrive. Since you have an Everdrive can you confirm your FDS games don't sound as horrific as these did for me a few years ago by watching this video? And if not, what ED model are you using currently?

Edited by eightbit

If I can find time later today or it'll wait until tomorrow if I don't forget I can check it.  My ED isn't particularly new, have had it for years so unless the firmware cleaned it up it probably would be not great.

• Like 1

I tried the Japanese version of Kid Icarus and then listened to the recording of the FDS vs Everdrive from eightbits's post. It sounds pretty dang close to the FDS version.  It did not sound like geese being melodically stepped on like in that comparison video.

My N8 is at version 1.25 for the firmware.

• Like 1

I just ordered my first Famicom Disk System.  I got a total package with everything and a few games to get started for a relative steal, but it won't read as the belt is shot.

I think I want to try and make it work again, but I'm so grabbing this fds key, it seems like the right idea to go either way with it.  I've been eyeballing the FDS for years, but just never really saw a point enough.  Most the games I'd even bother with aren't costly, some downright cheap, but for those that aren't and to get around the fiddly bits the key there seems like a wise choice.

I'll have to check my N8 as well, I can run it both using the AVF since I have a 72 t0 60 pin, and then the hi def kitted top loader with the cart direct.  I really don't remember it sounding like gamemoose said about geese being stepped on.

• Like 1

The belt is not hard to change...it just takes patience. It took me around 2 hours as I wasn't familiar with it. Then I found a video that cleared that up. I posted about that in another thread. 

Posted (edited)

Yes I think I remember that now.  I went looking and saw this one video that has a newer easier way to do it, not sure if it really is but I skimmed bits and it didn't seem to terrible otehr than really watching the steps so stuff goes back where it needs to be, then swiveling that screw plate forward after put together to fiddle with the alignment and lining up a circle in the large cog with like one of the metal lines on the triangle plate and so on.  I usually have trouble and get tripped up putting stuff back together than tearing it down. ;)

Seeing as he was offering a counter already this morning earlier and shipped it it's safe to say I got a unit that worked before being put for a few years in a climate controlled storage.  It's clean, clear, has the original optional power supply plug, and has 4 FDS games with it, 2 of them were quite interesting (especially a particular one) to me since I really enjoyed trying it out on an emulator after watching RndStranger's FDS Daily on it a month or so ago, Konami title Block Kuzushi (Crackout for the PAL cart owners.)

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I really don't remember it sounding like gamemoose said about geese being stepped on.

To be specific, when the opening credits roll through the first time, the music continues. There's a part where, in the FDS play, sounded like horns that played backup with the rest of the melody. In the Everdrive segment, those same horns were loud and almost didn't sound on key. It practically overpowered the rest of the melody and yeah, sound like a goose letting out loud honks to music.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gamemoose said:

To be specific, when the opening credits roll through the first time, the music continues. There's a part where, in the FDS play, sounded like horns that played backup with the rest of the melody. In the Everdrive segment, those same horns were loud and almost didn't sound on key. It practically overpowered the rest of the melody and yeah, sound like a goose letting out loud honks to music.

I would suspect (at least I would hope at over $200) that the newer Everdrive Pro can handle FDS properly. I don't have one of those to test nor do I have the funds to pay for one...so this FDSKey is more than adequate :)

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yes I think I remember that now.  I went looking and saw this one video that has a newer easier way to do it

That is the video I initially followed and it tripped me up, since it is not the proper way to align the head. The proper way was found from this video:

Following this I got it working first shot. The other video with the "new method" yielded disk errors after following it to a tee.

6 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

Ok I had a little time earlier, spent about a half hour poking about at most on a few games, especially some in that clip that sounded like a strangled goose.  I have an original everdrive, last firmware update possible, and it's not a pro.  I only had a moment to go with it on my HiDefNES Kit system and to start I forgot to turn on FDS audio...it wasn't right dropping stuff.  I then realized it, menu surfed to the FDS checkbox, and reset the thing.  Everything sounded like the clips online of how it should sound, and even the FDS games I have on my Famicom MINI GBA carts too as I grabbed Metroid and Hikari no Shinwa(Kid Icarus) last year and earlier this year Murasames Mysterious Castle and that was a match too.

So I really do not believe it to be an everdrive problem, I believe it to be a Nintendo cheaped out and cut the audio out problem.  I think if someone ran the right bypass wires with resistors seen online, or if you can find voular's premade micro-pcb drop in kit (I really wish I could) and applied that to a stock US console your everdrive would do just fine.  I'm figuring this since I went in with stock audio on the updated console, and got crap, then added FDS audio support and it was a pure match.

I guess I could throw the AV Famicom at it using the 72 to 60 pin adapter but I know that should fail as that has its own issues so I didn't bother.

5 hours ago, eightbit said:

That is the video I initially followed and it tripped me up, since it is not the proper way to align the head. The proper way was found from this video:

Following this I got it working first shot. The other video with the "new method" yielded disk errors after following it to a tee.

Ooooh nice I'll save that since I have motivation now.  If that covers adding the belt too I'll just remove the other from my saved links.

• Like 1

Hmmm I was wondering about that.  I was about to dig into what was best for tension longevity.  I don't see a big reason to get a lot of disks, outside of some stupidly ignored stack of random that has a few goodies in it.

I can think of a few I'd grab either for the saving/audio boots or just we didn't get.  Ai no Senshi Nicol, Arumana, Nazo no Murasame Jo, Zelda 1, Metroid, Hikari no Shinwa, maybe that 2nd Transformers game, Doki Doki for the thrill of it, even sadistic SMB2, Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, Akumajo Dracula, Halley Wars (I liked it on GG), Kiki Kaikai if the price isn't nightmares, really not sure without a dig and the Year of FDS that RndStranger is in I may need to skim back over the last 4 1/2 months a bit and see the video list.

I see no harm in sharing this is already in the mail and on the way here.  The description seems 99% certain to be a failed belt, but at $35+shipping I bit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126484043633

8 hours ago, eightbit said:

That was a steal!

That's pretty much how I felt after thinking i'd just get the memory module for the key, and the fact it had Nazo no Kabe which I have a good interest in, I couldn't move fast enough to negotiate a deal.  I already ordered 2 belts to have a spare from Console5 which already shipped earlier today too.

• Like 1