IGNORED

Decent400 drop-in replacement mechanical keyboard for the Atari 400

Posted (edited)

After the XE, XL and 1200 Decent keyboards, here's the 400 version:

image.thumb.jpeg.404a4fb454ace639a4f99c458cf35f12.jpeg

This one was particularly challenging because the original has so little room, but I think it came out quite good in the end... The layout is the least weird of all aftermarket 400 keyboard I know of. The keys are pretty much where you expect them and it still has wide delete and shift keys. It's also backlit. All the details are on GitHub: https://github.com/bleroy/3d-junkyard/blob/main/Decent400/readme.md

This is open source like all my designs, so you can build your own, but I also sell the keyboard fully assembled for $299 plus $15 shipping to the US. Drop me a PM if you're interested in buying one, specifying your switch preference (clicky, tactile, linear or a specific brand and model).

Note: key cap design may vary slightly.

Edited by ScreamingAtTheRadio
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

Fantastic. 

The 800 drop in is the one I am very eagerly awaiting. 

The 800's stakpole and hitek plunger style keyboards are very prone to cracking issues, as is the superior feel 800 mitsumi mylar based keyboard is prone to issues. 

To have a nice solid replacement for the 800 would be amazing. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Fantastic. 

The 800 drop in is the one I am very eagerly awaiting. 

The 800's stakpole and hitek plunger style keyboards are very prone to cracking issues, as is the superior feel 800 mitsumi mylar based keyboard is prone to issues. 

To have a nice solid replacement for the 800 would be amazing. 

The Decent800 exists and works fine, but I still need to find the time to wrap things up and design the brackets to hold it in the case:

image.thumb.png.7630d74f935085a5ba8f7f11d805141a.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

The Decent800 exists and works fine, but I still need to find the time to wrap things up and design the brackets to hold it in the case

When you do, I suspect you'll end up with years' long backorder list (me included!).

• Like 4

@ScreamingAtTheRadio

I know this is for the Decent 400, but I have a question on the Decent 800.

I was looking at your Decent 800 for an 800 that I have.  My 800 uses the Mitsumi keyboard  https://deskthority.net/wiki/Mitsumi_KSD_Type

Do you have an 3D printable part as an adapter to allow the original Atari Keycaps to work with the CherryMX switches?

The Atari keycaps (Mitsumi) are too large for the CherryMX switches.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

@ScreamingAtTheRadio

hmm.   Maybe I am missing something, but I still don't see how this would work.

Here is the 800 with a key off and the Mitsumi in place.  On the right is the CherryMX

The Atari will not fit onto the CherryMX.   I need something that will adapt the Atari to the Cherry MX gray part.

image.thumb.png.86ecd890dac7ac3a023072c8bc2836b6.png

Edited by Jfcatari

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jfcatari said:

hmm.   Maybe I am missing something, but I still don't see how this would work.

Here is the 800 with a key off and the Mitsumi in place.  On the right is the CherryMX

The Atari will not fit onto the CherryMX.   I need something that will adapt the Atari to the Cherry MX gray part.

Yes: the adapters adapt vintage key caps to Kailh Choc v1 switches, not to MX switches. Adapting on top of MX switches would result in an absurdly tall keyboard that would probably be as stable as this thing: https://unnecessaryinventions.com/standing-keyboard/

image.thumb.jpeg.52e44dd4eb265b88ce61f30c7f5b74de.jpeg

Edited by ScreamingAtTheRadio
  • Haha 1