IGNORED

Atari 825 Printer Font

Posted (edited)

From a technical point of view there are two categories of fonts based on DPI for this printer, dots per inch 10 and 16, so that was used to differtiate the 4 fonts into 2 groups, this makes things more manageable under modern apps and windows, at least from my understanding of how things work, I only made this font the other 3 still inside the digital cooker.

When all 4 fonts are installed you get one font name for the entire family then 4 fonts that belong to the family, the screwy part about fonts is compatibility with advanced programs such as Adobe CC which supports everything, then programs like MS Word which don't. The trick being making the fonts work on both, I have downloaded modern day fonts that Adobe as expected had no problems with where as MS Word wouldn't even acknowledge they were even installed, that's where the trickery of internal naming of each font belonging to one family comes into play.

And this is the new version with numerous corrections.

I placed everything out on top of a print out and it all looked OK, never hurts to get other people's input

Atari 825 16 Condensed.jpg

Atari 825 Condensed v1.1.ttf

Edited by khaibitgfx
  • Like 3

Nice work!

Some things I noticed: capital letter Omega is at the position of small letter omega (U+03C9). Capital letter omega is U+03A9.

The inverted question mark is mirrored. ¿Is that intentional?

Would it be possible to close the circle of the copyright sign and have a smaller c inside?

Other than that, they look great!

Posted (edited)

The design of the printers characters matrix doesn't give much room for complicated characters, its extremely limited, so the copyright is impossible to enclose, 1 more dot it would of been, the other characters you mentioned are easily corrected.

For the most part almost any new character can be added as long as it fits into the design matrix, I tried to add the most relevant ones.

Edited by khaibitgfx

Version 1.2

Uninstall the previous version before installing the newer version - especially with Windows.

The attached image is how the 4 fonts will appear when using Adobe CC or any modern DTP

or graphics related software this excludes Word processors such as MS Word which will

display two different fonts, where each one can be two different variants. From my

testing this affected every word processing program out there, where as

with Adobe CC, or Quark, Affinity you get 1 font group (Atari 825) and 4 different font 

sub selections (neat and tidy).

MS Word and other similar programs only recognize 4 different types of font selections under

1 name: regular, bold, italic and bold italic, when you get into adding elongated or thin,

or extra bold, or heavy or black, etc etc things get confoluted and they cannot belong

to just one name with all of them under sub selections, plus MS Word and similar programs

also do not support all opentype features where as Adobe CC supports everything.

Atari 825 16 Condensed.jpg

Adobe CC.jpg

Atari 825 Condensed.ttf

• Like 2

On 5/21/2024 at 3:25 PM, ivop said:

Nice work!

Some things I noticed: capital letter Omega is at the position of small letter omega (U+03C9). Capital letter omega is U+03A9.

The inverted question mark is mirrored. ¿Is that intentional?

Would it be possible to close the circle of the copyright sign and have a smaller c inside?

Other than that, they look great!

You may like the new copyright....

11 hours ago, khaibitgfx said:

You may like the new copyright....

Perfect! That's what I meant with the circle closed and a smaller c :)

I noticed your small letter omega is just a smaller Ω, but the small letter omega is ω. Other than that it looks great! Well, except for the ugly 'y', but I suppose that is what the original printer had ;)

Posted (edited)

If someone has an actual Atari 825 printer, i could use some high quality scans of the printouts, tiff files are usually the best, the clearer the printout especially on super white paper the better.

Everything online is incredibly bad....

Edited by khaibitgfx

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ascrnet said:

Thanks for the font, just a detail in GIMP 2.10.38 there is a comma in the name. "Atari 825," 😅

image.thumb.png.a81fbd07db2e844c2785dcfe8f5598d4.png

I never test things on free programs, basically Affinity, Adobe, Quark, Corel, however since it is free, I will give it a go, it isn't the first time I've run into an oddity, mac os is very different on how it handles fonts vs Windows and Android. Which is why uploading things for people to find any quirks is a good thing.

15 hours ago, ascrnet said:

Thanks for the font, just a detail in GIMP 2.10.38 there is a comma in the name. "Atari 825," 😅

image.thumb.png.a81fbd07db2e844c2785dcfe8f5598d4.png

On 5/24/2024 at 9:56 PM, adam242 said:

"Putinstan" 😆👍

Edited by khaibitgfx
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The font was also unloaded to a font tester and no comma appeared: https://fontdrop.info

Once I get gimp installed and if I can't find the reasons why, if nothing comes up, then I test gimp in regards to other complex fonts to see if it's indeed the font or gimp itself, you never know.

Edited by khaibitgfx
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2024 at 7:41 PM, khaibitgfx said:

If someone has an actual Atari 825 printer, i could use some high quality scans of the printouts, tiff files are usually the best, the clearer the printout especially on super white paper the better.

Everything online is incredibly bad....

@tschak909 How did you generate the fonts used by FujiNet?

Posted (edited)

Adobe Illustrator then imported into Fontlab.  

fontlab.com

You can download for free to try out, and pay if it meets your expectations.

Edited by khaibitgfx

16 minutes ago, khaibitgfx said:

Adobe Illustrator then imported into Fontlab.  

fontlab.com

You can download for free to try out, and pay if it meets your expectations.

My question was targeted at tschak909, not you, but thought as an answer to your request for scans.

FujiNet emulates several printers with (IIRC) fonts which are based on original printouts of the emulated printers.

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-firmware/wiki/About-Each-Printer

2 hours ago, DjayBee said:

2 hours ago, DjayBee said:

@jeffpiep constructed the fonts, by hand. https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-firmware/tree/master/data/webui/common/f/a825

These are designed to embed into target PDF documents (they are PDF embedded fonts and descriptors with a corresponding lookup table.)

-Thom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ascrnet said:

Looks like a bug in the GIMP? The comma is nowhere in the font file itself. This is the embedded information:

atari825info.thumb.png.231c31145e5ab91dba05837d03eb960e.png

It's not as correct as it could be, but no comma (also not hidden somewhere if you search for it with a hex-editor). Some fields could use some improvement (family, remove point size in name, fix 828 type, etc...). Also, font validation returns ±60 glyphs that contain self-intersecting paths. Nevertheless, it's a nice font for the ultimate retro look of your next correspondence ;) 

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, khaibitgfx said:

I never test things on free programs, basically Affinity, Adobe, Quark, Corel, however since it is free, I will give it a go, it isn't the first time I've run into an oddity, mac os is very different on how it handles fonts vs Windows and Android. Which is why uploading things for people to find any quirks is a good thing.

Remember that not all of us use Windows and not all of us use professional design programs. I did several tests and GIMP does indeed detect it with the comma, so I will report it to the developers group as I tried many more alternative design programs and it shows the name well. 😉

2 hours ago, ivop said:

Looks like a bug in the GIMP? The comma is nowhere in the font file itself.

we are going to send the information to GIMP support 😉

• Like 1

When it comes to a problem the best coarse of action is process or elimination.

If no problem presents itself in the top dog programs but a freebie program,

you can generally assume its the freebie program which is why its free to begin with.

I always start with the King of the Hill that being Adobe, then work my way down

the list. If Adobe has a problem then there is a problem.

These programs had no problem with the font as is:

Adobe CC 2024

KiCad - Freebie

Altium 2024

Quark 2023

Corel 2024

Moving along...

Sometimes the answer to a problem can be very simple or even rediculous.

After installing Gimp I tried out other major complex fonts belonging to a complex family,

nothing quirky came up, so the problem has to be something else.

It didn't take me long to find out why Gimp adds a "," at the end of the name.

Install any font that ends with a number and Gimp will show the ",".

According to Fontlab:

This can be found on their user manual online, go to Basics, then select Font Naming:

The “Family Name” is a main identifier. This is the Typographic Family Name (TFN) which is shared by all

the fonts in a typographic family – which can have any number of members. When you are adding a style to

an existing family, you usually want to keep the same family name. Limitations: maximum 31 characters

for compatibility with MS Office, or 63 characters otherwise. We recommend sticking to plain ASCII

characters for maximum app compatibility. The first character should not be a numeral

(so “1947 Cars” is unwise, but “Cars 1947” is safe.)

I should point out that Gimp has primitive font handling, its much like a word processor, it doesn't

allow the concept of 1 distinct family name and then a long list of fonts under that one name, where as programs

like Adobe CC, Quark, Corel do allow this.

Microsoft Word allows only 4 different fonts under one distinctive name, Normal, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic, when

you want to add other fonts to to that family, aka Thin, Elongated, Expanded, Extra Bold, etc, you

have to break them up into seperate families, messy, but that is how it works, and Corel Word Perfect is the same,

when you get into Opentype font features things get even more messy, Adobe supports it all where as MS Word supports

some of it, meanwhile Opentype was invented by Microsoft and Adobe, when it comes to Opentype SVG fonts aka

colored fonts, you basically have only 1 choice, Adobe CC no problems) the rest of them are screwy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ivop said:

Looks like a bug in the GIMP? The comma is nowhere in the font file itself. This is the embedded information:

atari825info.thumb.png.231c31145e5ab91dba05837d03eb960e.png

It's not as correct as it could be, but no comma (also not hidden somewhere if you search for it with a hex-editor). Some fields could use some improvement (family, remove point size in name, fix 828 type, etc...). Also, font validation returns ±60 glyphs that contain self-intersecting paths. Nevertheless, it's a nice font for the ultimate retro look of your next correspondence ;) 

What font validation program did you use?, Fontlab detected no errors and it is quite good at detecting errors, things that would take forever if you didn't have these capabilities. It even has some limited form of AI...

Edited by khaibitgfx