IGNORED

Atari Hotels just updated their website for the first time in years......

PowerDubs

I saw this Thread Title and instantly said,  This better be P-Dubs or I'm gonna be very disappointed!  They changed one digit!  But Don't get me wrong,...one meme made some GameStop (stock) owners very happy for a minute too.

I'm glad you're around P-Dubs!*

*Now you may wonder;  Sincerity,  Sarcasm,  Irony,  Genuine, all in Facetious fun,  or What gives?  All in Microdoses maybe...But I assure you;  I enjoy it and am genuinely entertained by your posts!   (Don't ever change man!  There are certain things in this world I rely on, and those things like a good cup of coffee get me out of bed in the morning.)**

** @x=usr(1536)  Don't you change either!  See above.  

You guys are strange.  :)

They may have changed only 1 digit... but Shelly (head of Atari Hotels) has been seen recently on video ...in an Atari Hotels shirt...at a motorsport event...we can expect to see new sponsorship soon.

There have been posts on Linked-in from a few different people involved...one a high position banker... one a guy from Lake Nona.

....and if you watch the Yars Rising video- Atari has the Atari Hotel teased from and center in the city scene.

3 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

has been seen recently on video ...in an Atari Hotels shirt...at a motorsport event...we can expect to see new sponsorship soon.

I wouldn't throw those shirts away either, they are already collectors items.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Well, given the title here, it sounds alot to me that the hotels in question are the Overlook Hotel in Colorado and the other is Hotel California…

Is there anything for Atari to win here, financially or as to reputation…?

Perhaps there are things going on behind the scenes that I cannot guess at, but is this really serving Atari…?

Are they just getting alot of money for some hotel having a massive Atari-sign, well, I could sort of understand it… but as some project to actively pursue from their side, what would be in it…?

If it’s part of the ‘well-oiled merch-machinery’, guess Atari shouldn’t be against making money on their logo, but if they have to do economical investments themselves, I’d much rather see them prioritize video-games and consoles.

But I’m no expert here.

The heading sounded, - well -, more on the vacant… abandoned … side of things, rather than the upbeat-and-onwards side

If anyone feels like filling in my unbeknownstness of the realities concerning these grave matters, please indulge me…

Quite simply; where in this, is the money for Atari so to be enabled to release video-game oriented things…?

Edited by Giles N

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Giles N said:

Are they just getting alot of money for some hotel having a massive Atari-sign, well, I could sort of understand it… but as some project to actively pursue from their side, what would be in it…?

This is from a deal made during Chesnais´reign. Wade Rosen would probably not have made such a deal. Atari had two hotel deals, giving them a total of about $3 million upfront and royalties if the hotels become reality. Now there is only one hotel deal left.

Atari would not be putting money into the project, they just get any royalties.

Edited by Lord Mushroom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the one thing I do not understand when people bad mouth the Frederic Chesnais era and his penchant to do licensing and other stuff that was out there. My understanding is that Atari is not spending any money on this. The hotel company paid them money, and if it is successful Atari will make more money. Who wouldn't go for that?

13 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

This is the one thing I do not understand when people bad mouth the Frederic Chesnais era and his penchant to do licensing and other stuff that was out there. My understanding is that Atari is not spending any money on this. The hotel company paid them money, and if it is successful Atari will make more money.

Money != success.  The project is still stalled almost 4.5 years in, and there's also brand dilution to consider.  Not to mention that themed hotels outside of theme parks and Las Vegas don't really seem to have much in the way of success.

13 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Who wouldn't go for that?

Someone with a long-term vision of where to take the company.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Someone with a long-term vision of where to take the company.

I am sorry, but no. Having a hotel based on your company is not brand dilution. And I do not think turning down millions means you have a vision.

15 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I am sorry, but no. Having a hotel based on your company is not brand dilution. And I do not think turning down millions means you have a vision.

Fair enough.  So, by having the hotel(s) and taking the money (however much that may have been), how does this strengthen Atari's position in the market?

51 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Fair enough.  So, by having the hotel(s) and taking the money (however much that may have been), how does this strengthen Atari's position in the market?

It may not, but it might. It is possible the hotel would be a terrible hotel and actually hurt Atari's name, but I would think any group with enough money to build a new hotel would be able to construct something nice. At least I would hope.

Some people would milk the Atari name dry...Others might want to grow the brand.  At any rate,  I don't see this, per se, as a reason for hating the Chesnais era.  (I'm gonna stop here.)  So far,  so good on the Rosen era though;  Honestly I am cautiously optimistic!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

This is from a deal made during Chesnais´reign. Wade Rosen would probably not have made such a deal. Atari had two hotel deals, giving them a total of about $3 million upfront and royalties if the hotels become reality. Now there is only one hotel deal left.

Atari would not be putting money into the project, they just get any royalties.

So it would be risky to put high trust in getting future income from this project, given the state of affairs as it seems now…?

I mean, you could hope it brought you money, but it’s so halfbaked you cannot really know if the money will come your way in reality… more like, it might.

Then they must put those income sources more in the ‘additional bonus’ category, if they want to play fairly safe…

I guess, if they already received the $3 M., and all they need to do in the future is to sign papers, they have not much to lose.

But it doesn’t seem like there is more money they safely can depend on being there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giles N said:

So it would be risky to put high trust in getting future income from this project, given the state of affairs as it seems now…?

Yes, it seems unlikely the hotel(s) will come to fruition, but there is still a significant chance it will.

6 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

It may not, but it might. It is possible the hotel would be a terrible hotel and actually hurt Atari's name, but I would think any group with enough money to build a new hotel would be able to construct something nice. At least I would hope.

Sounds reasonable.

FWIW, the perspective I'm coming at this from is that diversification isn't bad in and of itself, but it can't happen successfully until a company has nailed down its core competencies.  Right now, Atari hasn't yet done that fully.  They are in a much better position in terms of direction than in the Chesnais era, to be sure, but they still haven't really found their footing yet.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I don´t see a problem with the hotel deals. They got a good deal, and I don´t see any problem with the brand unless the hotels suck. It was things like the speakerhat, NFTs, Atari Tokens, bad AT Games Flashbacks, not paying people and more that damaged the brand.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

I could spell it out and it would create additional controversy and arguments, challenge my credibility, put me in a bad mood, and it would still get ignored or glossed over;  not to mention I wouldn't really be the guy to ask,  and others on here would prefer it be dropped,  so...I'll only say the hotel deal seemed to be the cherry on top of rewarding bad behavior...and giving money grubbers their due.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Sounds reasonable.

FWIW, the perspective I'm coming at this from is that diversification isn't bad in and of itself, but it can't happen successfully until a company has nailed down its core competencies.  Right now, Atari hasn't yet done that fully.  They are in a much better position in terms of direction than in the Chesnais era, to be sure, but they still haven't really found their footing yet.

Strangely I am becoming more optimistic,  but the Devil is in the details as they say.

If they could stop with the frivolous lawsuits that certainly harken back to Chesnais, (I mean what next?  Go after fan sites again?), and hone their focus, maybe fix what's wrong (more in a sec),  I could see it working out.

Myself I don't care about PC games or modern consoles (but maybe someday) but I get that it would be part of their strategy.  I liked the retro appeal of their website,  and even ordered things like Atari carts, gamepads, T-Shirts, coffee mugs, paddle controllers etc.,  but then the website let me fill my cart with 11 items but then wouldn't let me check out.  I went back,  Started over *sigh* and it worked,  This time I only bought 7 things.  It should have worked the first time when I was in a good mood and in a buying frenzy!...I still think the 2600+ is half-assed (may get one someday anyway as a collectable), the 400 Mini was junk, pure and simple,  the 50th anniversary carts were nice but an overpriced cash grab, the "new" VCS is pointless, the art piece PCBs are a bad idea...And I could go on, (but not agreeing with all of their product/marketing choices will always be par for the course),  but per capita the good is finally starting to outweigh the bad...

• Like 1

Didn't Atari do deals with hotels in the 80's though? I seem to recall certain hotel chains had a custom (I think) 5200 console so you could play that in them (select a vision I think it was called)

I don't see this as much different, so its not unprecedented.

9 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t see a problem with the hotel deals. They got a good deal, and I don´t see any problem with the brand unless the hotels suck.

23 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Atari had two hotel deals, giving them a total of about $3 million upfront and royalties if the hotels become reality. Now there is only one hotel deal left.

9 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Yes, it seems unlikely the hotel(s) will come to fruition,

…isn’t a 50% missing part of a deal, close to a half-sucking deal…? Or is it that the money they’ve already gotten is worth it…?

What other things could Atari get license money from, that are more solid and actually have a future…?

Would Arcade-Halls/Arcades or Amusement-parks be something more logical to be seen carrying a Atari logo, or Atari-something…?

What about the digital world? Something out there that would like, or logically find it useful to be associated with Atari-sponsorship…?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

hone their focus, maybe fix what's wrong (more in a sec),  I could see it working out.

Yes, I think they’re trying.

I believe they don’t want anything to end up standing or falling with one single project, which reduces the quality of the things they do make/release.

They seem to get back to gaming, and seem to deliberately start with retro-gaming.

I hope they get on with the fixing of issues and evaluate all reviews/sales-numbers etc to keep improving and sharpening their focus and quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

…isn’t a 50% missing part of a deal, close to a half-sucking deal…? Or is it that the money they’ve already gotten is worth it…?

They were guaranteed $3 million, and could potentially get additional royalties for something that Atari has no reason to be ashamed about (in my opinion). That is a good deal. If no hotels come out of it, they got $3 million for nothing. That is still a good deal.

• Like 2