IGNORED

Best non driving paddle option for playing Indy 500 on Stella?

bigfriendly

11 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

I was wondering what anybody out there might have tried if you don't own a set of driving paddles? 

There isn't really a good substitute.  The driving controllers were sold in much smaller numbers than the paddles were, so alternatives were almost nonexistent.

That said, there's no reason why a modern upgrade couldn't be made.  The driving controllers work differently to a paddle in that they essentially register left and right as opposed to an absolute value, but it's not like that couldn't be implemented with what we have now.

What do you see as the shortcoming with the driving controllers?

Posted (edited)

I play Indy 500 on my computer using Stella and a Hyperkin Trooper joystick. 

Spoiler

I use the JoyToKey helper app to map the joystick to arrow keys on the keyboard and map the fire button to LEFT-CONTROL key. 

IMG1_300x185.jpg.a6d5ea1857da0f4cfbe73c4982482102.jpg

In Stella, I go to options - game properties - controllers and choose Driving Controller. 

IMG3_300x174.jpg.9bf652ccafafc745a7698b986e67dd6e.jpg

Now, the joystick controls the car, but it's a little too fast for me, so finally, I go to options - emulation - and set the emulation speed to about 77% where it's fast enough to be fun but not so fast that I can't control the car anymore.  

IMG4_300x65.jpg.ae70e4720e0f9fbfffcd26236f08cb75.jpg

But you are probably playing on real hardware, right?  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

I was wondering what anybody out there might have tried if you don't own a set of driving paddles? 

The driving controller is very similar to an arcade spinner. I have a USB spinner controller for use with arcade games and it works well enough as a driving controller.

The unit I have is custom made but it uses parts from Baolian Industry Co, who have some nice options for spinners. I'd be surprised if there aren't any manufacturers out there who build complete units.

The good thing about the spinner is that it can double up as a paddle. Although of course, the spinner doesn't stop if you move it too far left and right, but that's not a big issue for me.

Edited by JetSetIlly

I reached out to Bradley at Best Electronics and he said he sold his last set like 17 years ago. They are available on eBay and they aren't to expensive considering how semi rare they appear to be. I might just cave and get a set from there.

1 hour ago, bigfriendly said:

I reached out to Bradley at Best Electronics and he said he sold his last set like 17 years ago. They are available on eBay and they aren't to expensive considering how semi rare they appear to be. I might just cave and get a set from there.

Good luck.  I got a set of driving controllers from eBay and they are jittery.  

18 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Good luck.  I got a set of driving controllers from eBay and they are jittery. 

Has there been any rumors that Atari might manufacture some new ones?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

Has there been any rumors that Atari might manufacture some new ones?

Spoiler

About 721 Atari 2600 games use the joystick.  

About 68 Atari 2600 games use the paddles.  

About two Atari 2600 games use the driving controllers, Indy 500 and Thrust(Ohio Art issued a cease and desist order against Stella Sketch.  Race is the Sears name for Indy 500.  Racing Pak includes Indy 500 and Slot Racers, which uses the joystick.  Okie Dokie uses the joystick.) 

My guess would be, no, the new Atari management would never manufacture controllers (i.e. the driving controllers) that only work for one or two Atari 2600 game cartridges.  There just would be no profit in it for them.  

3 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

About two Atari 2600 games use the driving controllers, Indy 500 and Thrust(Ohio Art issued a cease and desist order against Stella Sketch.  Race is the Sears name for Indy 500.  Racing Pak includes Indy 500 and Slot Racers, which uses the joystick.  Okie Dokie uses the joystick.) 

This is the list that I've compiled for DC games:

AsteroidsDC+
Death_Derby__2LK_16___24_03_2003___Glenn_Saunders
Grandmas_Revenge
  (DC in Right Port)
Heartbreak
Indy 500
Indy 500 - Alternate Tracks
Indy 500 - XE
Laseresal 2002 (Brooni) (2002) (Andrew Wallace) [a]
Omega Race
Reflex
SprintmasterDC
Stell A Sketch
Thrust - Platinum
Thrust+
Turbo Arcade
zombie_chase-blackwhite mode for DC

I don't recall any other than these.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

This is the list that I've compiled for DC games:

AsteroidsDC+
Death_Derby__2LK_16___24_03_2003___Glenn_Saunders
Grandmas_Revenge
  (DC in Right Port)
Heartbreak
Indy 500
Indy 500 - Alternate Tracks
Indy 500 - XE
Laseresal 2002 (Brooni) (2002) (Andrew Wallace) [a]
Omega Race
Reflex
SprintmasterDC
Stell A Sketch
Thrust - Platinum
Thrust+
Turbo Arcade
zombie_chase-blackwhite mode for DC

I don't recall any other than these.

Thank you!  That information is very helpful and noted.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

bigfriendly, if you have a laptop computer and an HDMI cable, you can use your laptop running Stella like an Atari 2600 emulator console to play Indy 500 on your TV with joysticks

It may be fair to say that's probably what he is doing since the title of this thread he actually mentions using Stella and he is looking for alternative controllers. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

It may be fair to say that's probably what he is doing since the title of this thread he actually mentions using Stella and he is looking for alternative controllers. 

image.jpeg.a14f86412b1edaf4cdd1b40a8f5c5e53.jpeg Well, still, I hope that anything I posted, above, was helpful to you, @bigfriendly.  

• Like 1