IGNORED

Please help with my new 7800!

mh004g

Hi,

I just bought an atari 7800 on ebay as a gift. I'm trying to hook it up to make sure it works, and am not able to get it to work. They told me it came with all necessary parts to play it. It came with an automatic tv/game switch from radioshack. I've hooked that up to the best of my ability. I called Radioshack to make sure it was hooked up properly, but they were very little help.

Can you help? I need to make sure this works :? Thank you in advance!

It came with an  automatic tv/game switch from radioshack.

That's your problem right there. You need a *MANUAL* game switch box from Radio Shack. It is the one where you have to move the little switch to select between GAME and TV.

If you need any more assistance, you can read the on-line Atari 7800 ProSystem instruction manual on my website at www.atari7800.com/html/7800manual.htm

Good luck with your new 7800!

It came with an  automatic tv/game switch from radioshack.

That's your problem right there. You need a *MANUAL* game switch box from Radio Shack. It is the one where you have to move the little switch to select between GAME and TV.

If you need any more assistance, you can read the on-line Atari 7800 ProSystem instruction manual on my website at www.atari7800.com/html/7800manual.htm

Good luck with your new 7800!

This makes life even easier:

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...?products_id=42

I have a few TV/Game boxes as backups, but they do not produce a picture as nicely as when the system is hooked up through Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter.

Back on topic, what games are you trying to use when turning the system on?

I've tried space invaders and pacman. does that make a difference when I'm hooking it up? Are there others I should try-they should all work though-right?

IIRC, some 7800s have a switch where you have to change the mode from 2600 mode to 7800 mode. Depending on whether the games are 2600 or 7800 games. The games you tested should work fine unless they are dead carts which is very unlikely. Are you getting any evidence of a change on the TV when you turn the system on?

Some 2600 games are not compatable with the 7800, but I don't think those games are among them.

Yeah, if they modified it, it should be pretty clear. If they did a mod to it, it would most likely be to add composite video outputs so there would be RCA jacks poking out of the back and you should be able to see that the plastic casing has been cut or shaved. If they did an auto RF modification, chances are you would see that internally. If your auto RF switchbox isnt working with the 7800, it is more likely that the person who sold you the unit is confused and is confusing you in the process. Ive had hundreds of 7800s go thru my hands in the past and not one had been modified for auto RF out.

Your best bet is to purchase one of the direct connectors from AtariAge or go to Radio Shack and bite the bullet and spend six dollars on the manual RF switchbox.

Thanks! I don't mind spending the $6 or 10 or whatever to make it work, I just didn't want to spend it if it's not going to work. It sounds like that's what's wrong though, so I'll go tomorrow. It bugs me that they sent this with the wrong switch though, that tells me they didn't bother to hook it up and make sure it actually works....

Before you go to Radio Shack make a roster of what items you have and a checklist of what items you need to get. You will want to make sure that the 7800 power adapter works and you get the red light to come on when you power up the unit. That's half the battle. Like I said, chances are its just because you are using an incompatable RF switchbox with your deck.

When you go to Radio Shack, make sure you have a MANUAL RF switchbox for older video game systems. If you have a modern television, make sure that it is either a cable ready box, or that you spend another buck fifty to get the Y-cord to coaxial converter. You will also want to get an RF cable that connects the new switch box to your 7800.

Once you have all of these things you should be set for gameplay. Good luck!!!

Atari 7800 On-Line Owners Manual

As long as you have the standard coax input on the back of your tv set... which most all tvs of the past two decades do... you should be all set. (It's the little silver metal one that is threaded so you can screw on to it.) The guys at radio shack should be able to help you if you have more questions.

Atari 7800 On-Line Owners Manual