IGNORED

Turning off the PS2

King Atari

why the hate? I had a sony mavica, best digital camera ever...

I'm not a Sony hater, but my Aunt's Sony Mavica, floppy disk version, was a piece of crap. Kind of a neat idea, but they had to compress the hell out of those images to fit a decent number on floppy.

Yeah.

I liked Panasonic's PV-SD4090(just looked the model # up) better. Exact same thing, only it had a LS120 drive. 120 megabytes on a 3.5" floppy.

SuperFloppies rule.

You need a special drive on your PC to read a SuperFloppy, right?

I think there are some models of mavica that burn to CD-RW, but that seems to be getting seriously bulky for a camera. (For me, if a camera isn't pocketsized, it's not going to get a whole lot of use.)

I'm not a Sony hater, but my Aunt's Sony Mavica, floppy disk version, was a piece of crap. Kind of a neat idea, but they had to compress the hell out of those images to fit a decent number on floppy.

Yeah.

I liked Panasonic's PV-SD4090(just looked the model # up) better. Exact same thing, only it had a LS120 drive. 120 megabytes on a 3.5" floppy.

SuperFloppies rule.

I think there are some models of mavica that burn to CD-RW, but that seems to be getting seriously bulky for a camera. (For me, if a camera isn't pocketsized, it's not going to get a whole lot of use.)

no, It doesnt need a special drive on the PC because you can hook it up via the USB cable. then the Panasonic acts as a 120 meg external drive that you can read and write to. Had to hunt like hell for the XP drivers though..

Yeah.

SuperFloppies rule.

no, It doesnt need a special drive on the PC because you can hook it up via the USB cable. then the Panasonic acts as a 120 meg external drive that you can read and write to. Had to hunt like hell for the XP drivers though..

But SuperFloppies aren't readable by standard 3.5" drives.

Of course, a SuperFloppy drive is far faster than a regular floppy drive on regular 1.44 meg disks too, which is the main reason I love it, since I don't have much media.

Why would they put standby on it if it wasn't safe? And who cares if it does get burned out, take it back and get an exchange. I took my Gamecube back over a year after I purchased it an they had no problem giving me a new one. What is all the fuss about?

I'm talking years from now, not just a short time, and I wasn't talking about stand by being not safe, I was asking if how I've been turning it off for awhile is safe.

The computer guys at work tell us to leave the computers on when we go home at night, and so to just log out, not shut down all the way. I asked why (since the computer is using electricity all night) and I was told that it's better for the computer components in the long run, because you avoid heating up and cooling down the components on a daily basis, which greatly reduces the stresses from thermal expansion and contraction.

Since the PS2 generates heat when in standby (at least, mine does), I would imagine that the same thing would apply. The PS2 stays warm, so thermal expansion and contraction is reduced. Yeah, you're wasting some electricity, but it might actually be better for the unit in the long run to leave it in standby rather than cycling the power all the way off.

Now, I have no idea whether the presence of AC line power fluctuations (spikes and dips) is a stronger argument for turning it off with the switch instead, or even if using the switch would protect the unit (as opposed to isolating it from the power source by unplugging it from the wall).