IGNORED

Atari Acquires Intellivision Brand

I've never owned an intellivision, but do have a 5200, and I'd say the majority of the library doesn't really use the keypad buttons a whole lot (well, then you have Frogger, that uses specifically the keypad to move).  Is the Intellivision similar, did most of them not use the keypad?  I mainly am asking as if they are going to be released for the VCS or others, there probably should be a new, better designed, version of the controller...

10 minutes ago, leech said:

I've never owned an intellivision, but do have a 5200, and I'd say the majority of the library doesn't really use the keypad buttons a whole lot (well, then you have Frogger, that uses specifically the keypad to move).  Is the Intellivision similar, did most of them not use the keypad?  I mainly am asking as if they are going to be released for the VCS or others, there probably should be a new, better designed, version of the controller...

Time will tell. For almost everything we would potentially want to do mapping the control scheme to a gamepad or joystick is kind of a must. The exception being a) releasing a new Intellivision (ie Intellivision+) or as you note, releasing a standalone keypad controller (or c) both). I have no idea what the plans are ... planning probably starts now.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Time will tell. For almost everything we would potentially want to do mapping the control scheme to a gamepad or joystick is kind of a must. The exception being a) releasing a new Intellivision (ie Intellivision+) or as you note, releasing a standalone keypad controller (or c) both). I have no idea what the plans are ... planning probably starts now.

A gamepad would be sweet, since then the potential for 5200 Star Raiders on the VCS could be a thing, and I think for the most part that style of controller would/could cover Jaguar/5200/Coleco/Intellivsion games.

38 minutes ago, leech said:

A gamepad would be sweet, since then the potential for 5200 Star Raiders on the VCS could be a thing, and I think for the most part that style of controller would/could cover Jaguar/5200/Coleco/Intellivsion games.

Very interesting ... 

38 minutes ago, barnieg said:

Am I right that this includes the officially released Aquarius games?

I am not a lawyer or IP expert of any kind, but here's my guess.

The program code for the Aquarius games were basically given/sold to Radofin, so Radofin could continue manufacturing and marketing them freely.  I imagine a permanent license was given to Radofin for the titles (names of games) that Mattel owned outright (e.g. Astrosmash, Night Stalker, etc), and a sublicense was granted for 3rd party titles (names), such as AD&D and BurgerTime for the same duration that Mattel had for using those names.

Since the titles (names of games) for the Aquarius were mostly identical to the Intellivision names, there is really not much "lost" by this new deal, under the likelihood that Aquarius titles are excluded.

Following Aquarius titles Mattel owned outright or are generic (e.g. Chess):

• Astrosmash
  • Biorhythms (Unique to Aquarius, but a worthless fad from the 70's.)
  • Chess
  • Melody Chase (The only similar but unique title on the Aquarius versus Melody Blaster on the Intellivision)
  • Night Stalker
  • Snafu
  • Space Speller (Unique to Aquarius, but it's edutainment, so no longer relevant.)
  • Utopia
  • Zero-In (Unique to Aquarius, but it's math edutainment, so no longer relevant.)

Following Aquarius titles with licensed IP:

• AD&D Treasure of Tarmin (Mattel owned the "Treasure of Tarmin" part of the name?)
  • BurgerTime
  • Tron Deadly Discs (Mattel owned the "Deadly Discs" part of the name?)

So, in summary, the names of the games aren't really a big deal between Aquarius and Intellivision. 

Who currently owns the rights to the program code of the Aquarius games?  No idea. I am curious too!  🙂

• Thanks 1

If we get something similar to the Atari 50th Anniversary on consoles like the Playstation, I’d be so happy. 

As much as I thought the original controller was OK (especially for the D&D games), I don’t necessarily feel a great desire to spend a lot of time with the original controllers any more. 

But the games? Yes, definitely.

Happy to see Atari lift the Intellivision brand out of the mud it has been pulled through these last number of years.

Admittedly I haven’t followed it close, but is Coleco available for Atari to buy, too?

2 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

A keypad controller, or add-on for the existing modern controller, would be fantastic!  Even better with a screen to emulate the overlays.  Something like what the Amico people were pretending to do…

• Like 1

I’d love to see Intellivision games on the VCS 800!  Or modern/recharged versions of some of them.  Sea Battle would be awesome, just sayin’…

Or an Intellivision+ to go along with the 2600+.

I guess what I’m saying is, I hope Atari makes the most of this purchase.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, khaibitgfx said:

What's next all the old Commodore assets...

From a games' and IP point of view, those are not much to acquire. The small amount of first party games (mainly VIC-20) were licenses or knock-offs which the current brand name holder probably has little of. Actually, I believe Atari already owns a good deal of IP when it comes to classic Commodore games, if all the acquiries of software publishers made by the previous Infogrames have carried over to Atari, something we know quite little about.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, carlsson said:

From a games' and IP point of view, those are not much to acquire. The small amount of first party games (mainly VIC-20) were licenses or knock-offs which the current brand name holder probably has little of. Actually, I believe Atari already owns a good deal of IP when it comes to classic Commodore games, if all the acquiries of software publishers made by the previous Infogrames have carried over to Atari, something we know quite little about.

we def. own games that were released on the Commodore (and many other system) ... but sometimes we own the IP outright and sometimes just  specific versions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the1hatman said:

Loved the video you made covering this on YouTube. Thanks for keeping me in the loop!

Appreciate that!  I've had more thoughts since then.  Podcast on Tuesday is going to be about this. :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Albert said:

Ha, no.  That thought hadn't crossed my mind yet, though. :D

..Al

Ha, the real question is; will the people whomever made Intellivision vs Atari videos on YouTube need to re-title them? 

2 minutes ago, leech said:

Ha, the real question is; will the people whomever made Intellivision vs Atari videos on YouTube need to re-title them? 

Not at all, they are still perfectly relevant from a historical perspective, this acquisition doesn't change that. 

..Al