IGNORED

Atari Acquires Intellivision Brand

10 minutes ago, Gibstov said:

I had a feeling that Atari was going to buy Intellivision at some point. 

Somehow this never occurred to me.  Hopefully they take care of the brand and put out something for the fans.

34 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

Agreed that that number is a bit high.  Most sources place it at >3 million but <4 million (including Wikipedia's multiple cited sources).  However, I don't feel saying "5 million" in the press release affects the deal or how Atari will manage Intellivision moving forward.

The Wikipedia sources are only through 1983. INTV Corp sales should push it over four million, there are some unknows.  Maybe the Intellivision book coming out later this year has something about it.

The more than 200 titles must be a typo. Considering everything they have including those not released, it should be well over a hundred but nowhere near 200.

Just now, mr_me said:

The more than 200 titles must be a typo. Considering everything they have including those not released, it should be well over a hundred but nowhere near 200.

It's not a typo.

..Al

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The Wikipedia sources are only through 1983. INTV Corp sales should push it over four million, there are some unknows.  Maybe the Intellivision book coming out later this year has something about it.

Maybe the M Network ports for other systems and prototypes are included. Also a bunch of the Amico games as they will get licensed back to the new Amico company.

• Like 1

.... I'll be honest, I'll buy an Intellivision+.  I've always wanted to play Sea Battle.

I'd love to see that list of 200 games (especially since the Wikipedia page for the console only lists 119 released games and 43 unreleased/unfinished games total, including all publishers and licensed games), but I'm guessing it's a little premature for that.

But Atari won't get all the titles right?

Didn't Intellivision Entertainment sell off a couple of properties to a third party a couple years ago?  I think it was Astrosmash and Shark! Shark!, not sure if there were more.  So the library is split unless that purchase didn't go through, maybe my memory is bad and I'm not remembering right.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Owning Intellivision means we are now invested in the long-term success of the brand, which experience has taught us requires an active player and developer base. It isn't a museum piece that you put behind glass. If the homebrew developers and engineers and players had not sustained interest in the 2600 platform and our other console and PC platforms over the last 45 years I don't think Atari would be in the position we are now to do things like purchase Intellivision or launch the 2600+. 

Now you just need to figure out how to buy Coleco and complete the circle... Then I expect some Atari ports for my Adam.  :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Intymike said:

Maybe the M Network ports for other systems and prototypes are included. Also a bunch of the Amico games as they will get licensed back to the new Amico company.

I accounted for those, i.e. Apple II, IBM PC, Colecovision, not many there. The Aquarius catalog went back to the Aquarius people in 1983. Atari SA already aquired the M network Atari 2600 properties in a previous deal, maybe not all at the time and a few more now. It's possible it includes Amico games based on Intellivision games but again not that many. And as already pointed out, two of them already went to another company. Atari SA might already own Amico Night Stalker and Crown of Kings by previously purchasing the developer.

39 minutes ago, Albert said:

It's not a typo.

..Al

Thanks.  Maybe I should look at it differently. For example IE claimed to have rights to the Imagic catalog plus some other retro titles. Maybe some of that transfers.

32 minutes ago, davidmt said:

But Atari won't get all the titles right?

Didn't Intellivision Entertainment sell off a couple of properties to a third party a couple years ago?  I think it was Astrosmash and Shark! Shark!, not sure if there were more.  So the library is split unless that purchase didn't go through, maybe my memory is bad and I'm not remembering right.

Based on previous press releases you are correct about those two. IE didn't own all the Intellivision catalog anyway, e.g. Activision, Parker Brothers, Coleco, Imagic, and others.

4 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

Could a new console be next?  I would stay clear of the Amico name.  

This news can only be seen as a positive IMO.  

I am thinking Intellivision games released on the Atari VCS 800, like the 7800/2600 games have been.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, khaibitgfx said:

What's next all the old Commodore assets...

Haha, I literally just posted elsewhere, that the next acquisition should be Hyperion Entertainment so they can own AmigaOS 3.2 / 4.1.  One of the companies associated with them declared bankruptcy not so long ago...

Edited by leech

1 minute ago, khaibitgfx said:

Well for Atari to buy as many of them old assets would be make it an ideal kingpin company as far retro goes, if there's money to be had, why not?

I already have figured out their strategy is to target the indie studios and retro gaming.  The amusing thing of this?  The AAA game industry seems to be imploding.  With Ubisoft having games with 'Ultimate Mega Supreme Edition' costing 130 USD.  The gaming sites are all being consolidated, so if one game doesn't fit their political correctness, it just gets review bombed about how evil the developers are, etc.  Indie/Retro games are selling like crazy too.  And in general, are just better games overall.

1 hour ago, Raiu said:

.... I'll be honest, I'll buy an Intellivision+.  I've always wanted to play Sea Battle.

I'd love to see that list of 200 games (especially since the Wikipedia page for the console only lists 119 released games and 43 unreleased/unfinished games total, including all publishers and licensed games), but I'm guessing it's a little premature for that.

Sea Battle is fun ... I had it growing up