IGNORED

Atari + Coleco

Wishful thinking. Not my wish, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Atari bought out River West Brands, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen. When you turn retro gaming into a monopoly, it's likely you'll start abusing that monopoly.

(I wish Keith Robinson was still alive, but you know what they say about wishes...)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jess Ragan said:

When you turn retro gaming into a monopoly, it's likely you'll start abusing that monopoly.

There is absolutely no possibility of a “retrogaming monopoly” for the likes of the current iteration of Atari or any other company for that matter. If it was a possibility, a company would have already attempted to coalesce everything under their control already, but that hasn’t happened in the 25ish years that retrogaming has been booming… especially in the 2010-2016 years range.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Atari being a monopoly won't happen even if it purchased Coleco and say MSX, Commadore and even Amiga.  Microsoft, Sega, Nintendo, Tiato, Namco and others own way more retro games and Atari wouldn't be able to just manufacture Pitiful just because an agreement over 30 years ago was signed.  None of the companies I mentioned have been willing to remake any retro game.  Some have made agreements with AntStream on a temp basis.  An Atari unification is more like a museum and not in a bad way (relics), but in a good way (to catalog history and to allow users to continue to use software that they can't because of a broken machine or something).  I believe that's why Atari has invested in AntStream, Playmaji, purchased Moby and all these IP owners and restoring companies.  To preserve history.  I don't mind them doing so.  Microsoft will sit on its Activision titles the same way they killed MSX who they so-called supported.  The MSX mess is big, they are still fighting and in talks with Microsoft to allow them to unite that community, but Microsoft who helped develop the platform OS they use isn't allowing it to happen.