IGNORED

Boulderdash porting from the 2600 version....:)

Posted (edited)

So I know what you are thinking!! We have the iconic original Boulderdash as well as many clones in so many guises (including the excellent commercial release Rockford BITD), on the A8 already. The original Bolderdash is one of my fav A8 games and I played the hell out of it as a kid/teenager. Love the construction set too.

One of the things you get used to is the jerky block by block movement of your character Rockford, due to the way the game engine was created in squares, (excuse my tech ignorance...character map graphics?).

Anyways, the reason for this post is I happened to just clock a ZPH video of ...would you believe... a new port of Boulderdash 2...on the 2600!!  That's great news in itself, but it looks fantastic and really pushes the envelope for the 2600 hardware and graphics.

Thing is - it has non-jerky and fast smooth movement of your Rockford character - which for me is fantastic. Whilst I love the classic Boulderdash, and the jerky movement is part of the iconic game, I've always thought a smooth scrolling one would be a lot better in many respects.

I am wondering whether a backport of this new 2600 version is planned on the A8, perhaps in GTIA mode, with pmg sprites used to colourise Rockford, as I'd love to see a smooth moving Rockford at the very least on the A8 as is the case here in this 2600 version.

Check it out - it almost makes we wanna get me a 2600 and unocart 2600. I guess at some stage I could do it in emulation.

Thanks to @ZeroPage Homebrew for bringin this to my attention. :)

Check it out, some amazing effects and features...kudos to the coders :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philsan said:

In author's channel there are many cool demos and tests 

If you plan to get a 2600 and want to run this game (and other modern games with DPC+ bankswitching schemes, for example by Champ Games) you should buy an Harmony cart.

thanks. Yes, I had a 7800 Harmony cart. (Had to sell it along with my 7800 last year as tight for cash). 

I must admit I am not a big fan of the 2600. I have always been an A8 and Jaguar guy. In the last few years I got myself a 7800 and checked out all the homebrews. I'd have kept it but as I say I needed the cash.

I probably realistically won't invest in a 2600 and 2600 harmony cart, but am very interested to what the community thinks of the idea this 2600 BD2 and a possible back port to the A8? ;)  I wonder if the original BD2 2600 coder might be interested. :) 

Edited by Beeblebrox