IGNORED

Something weird happening with my Tac-Scan

If I plug Tac-Scan into my 2600 with my original, jittery paddles in the right connector as per the manual, I can start a game by pressing the fire button but I have no control over my ships.  They don't move.  All I can do is fire.  I try my brand new Atari paddles and exactly the same thing.

If I try the game in my 2600+, the game starts up but not even the fire button works to start a game.  Not with my old or new paddles.  I tried the right connector as per the manual and tried the left connector just in case.  The game is supposed to be compatible with the 2600+ so that's not an issue.  I'm mystified and more than a little frustrated.

I've also tried other paddle games in both machines with both paddles and no problems, other than the jitteriness with the old ones.

Can anybody explain what might be happening here?

• Sad 1

Tac Scan has ports AND paddles swapped. So one real hardware you have to use the 2nd paddle in the right port.

Stella fixes that using its build in game properties. So, for the 2600+, if the dump is correct and the ROM is known, you have to use the 1st paddle in the left port. Else, see above.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Tac Scan has ports AND paddles swapped. So one real hardware you have to use the 2nd paddle in the right port.

Stella fixes that using its build in game properties. So, for the 2600+, if the dump is correct and the ROM is known, you have to use the 1st paddle in the left port. Else, see above.

I may have missed trying both paddles when I swapped to the left port on the 2600+ so I'll give that a try but as explained, I did have the paddles plugged into the right port on the 2600 initially and tried both paddles.  That's how I could get the game started and my ships to fire, but no movement.  

I think that paddle is faulty though.  I noticed it uses the paddle usually reserved for player 2 and I've been meaning to take it apart and see what's up.

Here's hoping I just missed that combination you mention for the 2600+ in my multiple tries of 2 different machines, with 2 sets of paddles and trying both controller ports.  If so, I see no reason why my new paddles won't work.  Will report back later...

Edit: Actually, rereading your explanation, will it have to be a ROM hack for it to work on the 2600+ in the left port?  I'm using an actual cart.

Edited by insertclevernamehere

On 5/26/2024 at 1:40 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

UPDATE ON 2600+ testing:

I tried the left port and both paddles on my 2600+.  The game loads but it's completely unresponsive.  Pressing fire does nothing, nor can I move my ships.  Tried the same in the right port and exactly the same issue.  It seems there is an incompatibility issue with 2600+ unless others get it to work. I see it has a "P" on the compatibility list but when tested, did they just see if the game loaded or did they actually try to play a game?

If it's my cartridge, it seems odd how a cart can seemingly work perfectly except have no control function.  Is that possible?  Is that even a thing?  It seems it might be for this game at least, based on other responses.  Weird.

Posted (edited)

I can completely get my head around how degrading of a physical cart over time will prevent a game from loading properly, but not really how it may only prevent one aspect of a game from working at all i.e. movement.  

Also, if a game file is only dumped from the cart to something like the 2600+, how is it possible that the same problem manifests itself on that machine too?!

I'm not technical at all.  Perhaps this can be explained by someone or perhaps not.  It's pretty bleepin' annoying though.

Edited by insertclevernamehere

Is anybody aware of a ROM hack for this game that uses the left port?  I have a 2600 that is basically hard-wired into an arcade type setup and it's a pain to switch connectors just to play this game, so it would be awesome if there were a ROM available that uses the same port as all the other games.