IGNORED

HSC21 Round 8: Rockman & Turmoil

Posted (edited)

Rockman & Turmoil

Rockman not HSC played before but trbb of old said "...Also played Rockman (Mirage Software) today which I had the original disk for(!), nice game shame has no sound effects just music. Might be ok for the HSC next season :)... " and Turmoil was only once HSC played way back in season 8's multi game round is fairly quick to play!

Joint poll winner Gateway to Apshia is much more involved so we will either play it next or re-poll it (good game looking at most of last time's comments!)

Rockman

image.png.7f9e096350737dbd56e0235bb55fe624.png 

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2817

Atarimania has some glowing comments: https://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-rockman_25370.html

Video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S9V8lOWfZE

[Option] shows game items "What is What?" See later posts for this and the instructions translated by Skior :thumbsup:

[Space] Pause, move to resume play

[Esc] abort life

Turmoil

image.png.07d0234f6086a87e96b1073c28e4f886.png

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3155

Round ends Sunday 9th June 12pm UK time

Have fun ;)

Edited by therealbountybob

9 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Rock man looks well done but need some time to figure that one out

Did you have any problems running it? Rockman screen jumps and flickers on my NTSC XEGS something bad. Is this a PAL only game? I tried my best and made it to level 2 with a score of 2,460. This type of game really needs 2 button support.

Had a good time with Turmoil. I played a few games this morning and ended up with 20,530. Cool game, almost Tempest like.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zeptari said:

Did you have any problems running it? Rockman screen jumps and flickers on my NTSC XEGS something bad. Is this a PAL only game? I tried my best and made it to level 2 with a score of 2,460. This type of game really needs 2 button support.

Had a good time with Turmoil. I played a few games this morning and ended up with 20,530. Cool game, almost Tempest like.

I am also using an NTSC XEGS.   No issues on my side.   I am using FujiNet as my disk emulation rather than a cartridge.  Maybe try a different format from atarionline.pl?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Added some Rockman links to first post, including video review - there is a Polish(?) box inlay on Atarimania but can't see any English instructions :ponder:

:)

Yes, this is Polish game :D

Manual has no interest things, but i made it for you - ocr-ed by Adobe Acrobat and translate by deepl.com text:

There was a rocky land called Rockland, its
inhabitants - the Rockmen would have been very happy had it not been for the fact that their favorite
fruits. Therefore, they sometimes ventured to neighboring Owocolandia for Iowa (read looting).
The lord and ruler of Owocolandia was the extremely dangerous and a tad mischievous Count Clecot. The Count was a very vigilant individual, so one time he managed to
captured a small Rockman during an attempted
theft. He promised the weeping “hero” his freedom if he could eat all the fruit in all of Owocolandia.
Rockman set out to battle the amazing creatures, alert to dangers in the form of spikes, sinkholes and cliffs. You have to help him in his difficult task.
GAME OPERATION
It is not complicated, you move using the joystick, shoot by pressing Rre and directing the joystick in the chosen direction. However, be very careful every
step of the way a lot of dangers, puffballs and opponents puffing with the desire to triumph are waiting for you.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Edited by Sikor
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Turmoil: 64,440

20240528_192936.thumb.jpg.4d0392b06343f6747af1f2e10bef5c3b.jpg

I tried both the .atr from Atarimania and the .xex from Fandal - Rockman is jumping on real hardware for me. Not a problem as I can play on emulation in PAL mode, but wanted to let other NTSC players know.

(EDIT: Never mind - the .xex that @Zeptari posted above works great on NTSC machines!)

Rockman: 22,591

20240528_202459.thumb.jpg.e29939791decaf81c5da5c29bd7b817e.jpg

Edited by graywest
  • Like 3

On 5/28/2024 at 8:50 PM, Sikor said:

Yes, this is Polish game :D

Manual has no interest things, but i made it for you - ocr-ed by Adobe Acrobat and translate by deepl.com text:

There was a rocky land called Rockland, its
inhabitants - the Rockmen would have been very happy had it not been for the fact that their favorite
fruits. Therefore, they sometimes ventured to neighboring Owocolandia for Iowa (read looting).
The lord and ruler of Owocolandia was the extremely dangerous and a tad mischievous Count Clecot. The Count was a very vigilant individual, so one time he managed to
captured a small Rockman during an attempted
theft. He promised the weeping “hero” his freedom if he could eat all the fruit in all of Owocolandia.
Rockman set out to battle the amazing creatures, alert to dangers in the form of spikes, sinkholes and cliffs. You have to help him in his difficult task.
GAME OPERATION
It is not complicated, you move using the joystick, shoot by pressing Rre and directing the joystick in the chosen direction. However, be very careful every
step of the way a lot of dangers, puffballs and opponents puffing with the desire to triumph are waiting for you.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Thanks P :thumbsup: I hoped you would do this :)

I'm not at the Atari desk until next week so will be playing both games then but here are the first tables and I'll put up the next poll too soonish :!:

Probably will combine the ranking positions in the game tables into one with standard HSC points :ponder:

Rockman       Turmoil    
  Player Score     Player Score  
1st McKong               23,395   1st AtariSphinx 89,805  
2nd graywest 22,591   2nd McKong               84,490  
3rd AtariSphinx 13,166   3rd graywest 64,440  
4th carlsson 9,068   4th carlsson 22,540  
        5th Zeptari 20,530  

4 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Shall we play for level reached then guys?

;)

Good idea.  The game is nice enough to put 1up hearts in some levels, but they can be collected indefinitely if you keep dying on the same level.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Turmoil (Default) - 112,560

Video provided to show my technique to reach my score higher than 99,990 points - I avoided shooting some enemies (except arrow) and picked up more "eggs" (prizes) as I could, specially on levels 1, 2 and 3.

Timeline:

00:08 - Level 1

02:17 - Level 2

05:13 - Level 3

07:37 - Level 4

09:37 - Level 5

11:21 - Level 6

13:39 - Level 7

15:29 - Level 8

15:35 - Rollover at 100,000

16:54 - End of run and final score shown (112,560 - 12,560 displayed after rollover)

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 4

After a half hour of playing Rockman I was able to pass level 2. The jumps on the bottom area have to be timed perfectly. I'm thinking I might have made it to level 5, not sure. 

Rockman: 10,549

I like Turmoil a lot more! And my score reflects that! I almost doubled it!  

Turmoil: 40,790

Not sure if I'll revisit them before the deadline, We'll see how my work week goes.

• Like 1

Rockman is hard. One simple mistake and you are dead... Reached Level 7 (13,248 points) once, don't think I will can do this again.

20240603_094435.thumb.jpg.614a7084636d0807f5116b3be3fdad1e.jpg

Turmoil is a nice casual game, 44,060 ponits

20240605_162855.thumb.jpg.0f29608239cc4707f96dc6629c389e53.jpg

• Like 2