IGNORED

800XL 3D printed case

Inspired by this thread I went on a bit of a burn last night to actually make some progress on my "I'll finish it one day" model for a printable replacement for the 800XL case, and it's now at a point where I'm 90% happy with the basic structure - I made a couple of mistakes due to tiredness that I need to fix, do a few test prints to make sure I've measured everything properly, and then I can tackle things like mounting for the motherboard, cutouts for the ports, screw holes to join it all together, etc., so in terms of completion I'm a way off yet, but it's a solid start! (For now, though, I need to get some sleep.)

800xl.thumb.png.4747faa11484a90b483a5689496716e8.png

• Like 12

1 minute ago, NorbertP said:

Inspired by this thread I went on a bit of a burn last night to actually make some progress on my "I'll finish it one day" model for a printable replacement for the 800XL case, and it's now at a point where I'm 90% happy with the basic structure - I made a couple of mistakes due to tiredness that I need to fix, do a few test prints to make sure I've measured everything properly, and then I can tackle things like mounting for the motherboard, cutouts for the ports, screw holes to join it all together, etc., so in terms of completion I'm a way off yet, but it's a solid start! (For now, though, I need to get some sleep.)

800xl.thumb.png.4747faa11484a90b483a5689496716e8.png

Amazing job. Reckon at some stage you'll share the Stl or gcode files once happy? I'd love to have a go printing it. Totally understand you not sharing the source cad files, given all the effort designing it. 

1 minute ago, xrbrevin said:

dont think it'll fit on my buildplate!

Mine either so I'm going to have to split it in half and add some way of screwing the two parts together. Not ideal, but I'll also release the non-split files in case anyone has a big enough printer or wants to send it off to be done in one shot.

IMHO I would do the options for complete, split etc etc, then those who can print full size still still have that option.

or even if some one wants to make a mini workable version version :D 

Either way, great to see this :) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Overange said:

IMHO I would do the options for complete, split etc etc, then those who can print full size still still have that option.

or even if some one wants to make a mini workable version version :D 

Either way, great to see this :) 

This is my thinking also. Having the cad files would be ideal so I can potentially mod it (if needed) to print in parts (vertically) on my ender pro 3. 

The big one for me would be the 800 as that is by far the casing which we need printable parts for. I've had so many cracked 800 casings through my hands over the years and gluing them back together is the only way at present. 

Posted (edited)

Even though I have an FDM printer at home, I would probably outsource to a commercial print house like JLCPCB. They would definitely have the resources to print as a complete piece. I would probably opt for resin printing as well.

What is also nice about having the case  files is this would give one an opportunity to make a custom case design in order to work in whatever mod one has (I.e. Sophia 2, stereo)

Edited by scorpio_ny
  • Like 1

If anyone has an unmodified 800XL can you take a high resolution picture of the rear of the case (keeping the camera as parallel to the case as is practical)? Mine's been hacked about a bit so it's not really a good candidate for accurately positioning the holes!

I'm also having an internal debate about how to handle the top half of the case; from a modelling/printing perspective it's easier to redesign how the keyboard plate mounts to the rest of the case, but that would mean original keyboard plates won't be compatible with a printed top shell and vice versa...

14 hours ago, aeberbach said:

That looks very nice! What program do you use to design?

Blender FTW!

19 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

The big one for me would be the 800

Sadly I don't own an 800, but once I'm done with this if anyone's willing to lend me one for a bit I could potentially give it a whirl.

32 minutes ago, NorbertP said:

Sadly I don't own an 800, but once I'm done with this if anyone's willing to lend me one for a bit I could potentially give it a whirl.

Cool. I could lend you a top and bottom case and cart bay assembly. Will drop you a pm sometime. Thanks :)

45 minutes ago, NorbertP said:

If anyone has an unmodified 800XL can you take a high resolution picture of the rear of the case (keeping the camera as parallel to the case as is practical)? Mine's been hacked about a bit so it's not really a good candidate for accurately positioning the holes!

I'm also having an internal debate about how to handle the top half of the case; from a modelling/printing perspective it's easier to redesign how the keyboard plate mounts to the rest of the case, but that would mean original keyboard plates won't be compatible with a printed top shell and vice versa...

Blender FTW!

Which version, as there are some differences?

11 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Cool. I could lend you a top and bottom case and cart bay assembly. Will drop you a pm sometime. Thanks :)

Excellent!

1 minute ago, Overange said:

Which version, as there are some differences?

Are there? That's going to complicate things! I know there's the Freddie and non-Freddie versions of the motherboard with a slightly different chip layout, but I had assumed the ports and stuff were in the the same place. Mine's a PAL non-Freddie Hong Kong version of the board in a Taiwan case. Do the motherboard mounting points also vary between versions? (And by extension, do the various keyboard mechanisms have different mounting hardware?)

20 minutes ago, NorbertP said:

Excellent!

Are there? That's going to complicate things! I know there's the Freddie and non-Freddie versions of the motherboard with a slightly different chip layout, but I had assumed the ports and stuff were in the the same place. Mine's a PAL non-Freddie Hong Kong version of the board in a Taiwan case. Do the motherboard mounting points also vary between versions? (And by extension, do the various keyboard mechanisms have different mounting hardware?)

With out TV Switch 

File:Atari 800XL rear without parallel cover (72RHA AT8489594 I ...

With TV Switch

Atari 800XL | Your Computer Geek

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NorbertP said:

Excellent!

So 800xlf and stock 800xl pal casings are all interchangable. I've not yet come across a pal 800xl casing, whether Hong Kong made or Taiwan made, which can't be swapped around. I've seen a lot of them too. 

800xl ntsc casings have a channel switch hole. Some pal 800xl's also have the channel switch hole sometimes, with a blanking plate. 

Generally you don't have anything to worry about with the 800xl pals. 

Whereas 600xl ntsc chelco made (Hong Kong) machines have subtly different casings to pal 600xl ones, not only in the obvious omission of the monitor jack hole and the additional channel switch, but also in terms of a slightly different casing alignment. 

I can also lend you a few of these 800xl casings too. :)

I'd love to see a version of the case that has a provision for DVI in the place of the RF switch, that way I don't have to hack up my original case. I have got to get me a 3D printer!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Havok69 said:

I'd love to see a version of the case that has a provision for DVI in the place of the RF switch, that way I don't have to hack up my original case. I have got to get me a 3D printer!

Would be great. Would need to be lined up to the dvi connector mounted on the pcb in place of the rf modulator. 

So here, taken from one of fjc's sophia2 installs, where he installs the dvi pcb in the casing, but also I've seen versions where he is using the original rf pcb mounting slot holes:

Screenshot_20240531_184249.jpg

Screenshot_20240531_184230.jpg

Screenshot_20240531_184113.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Overange said:

The other way is to have a large square hole in the rear , and you fit a custom panel with what even you want on it.

That way one case, many different possibility's.

image.thumb.png.cef9e2a4a61d7601900cc15c46a46614.png

I was thinking this exact same thing earlier today. You could then have multiple plates to print incorporating anything from din13, to stereo av jacks, 3.5mm jacks, usb or ps2 keyboard jacks,... and a little hook to hang ya car keys on :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NorbertP said:

If I've got the holes in the wrong place I'm going to be super salty.

Screenshot2024-06-02055304.png.44d076409f1452087ce755ead858e00b.png

Don't worry about it, we all have scrap piles of 3D print fails.

I find the worst is the Birds Nest, when it comes away from the bed and you been out for the day and come back and find something that looks like a Birds nest sat there....

• Haha 4