IGNORED

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

Dropping a post in here to let the Apple II platform fans know that Digital Eclipse released a modern, 3D version of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. The new game is built directly on top of the original 1981 game's code. My favorite feature is that you can toggle the original Apple II interface on as you play. I know the game has been discussed in this forum in the past so I thought it was worth sharing. Has anyone else (besides me) tried it out? It is available on PC (Steam and GOG) and consoles (Switch, Xbox and PlayStation).

ss_9948b32cee84aa558ec0ba0e18be7441d2f76dc2.600x338.jpg?t=1716480036

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I like it, but it keeps making me want to play one of the earlier versions. The Apple II version is a bit too rough, but I like the PC Engine version a lot.

If I'm not mistaken they all have the same levels and mechanics (except the DOS version that has random level up penalties), 
so whatever you learn on one of the games can be used on the others.

I should retry it now that the 1.0 version is out (ran the early access before)

Edited by Newsdee

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Newsdee said:

I should retry it now that the 1.0 version is out (ran the early access before)

Overall things are going well. The response has been good, and in Japan it has been remarkable. The team is collecting feedback from players as well ... 

Edited by TrogdarRobusto
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, zzip said:

I'm surprised this game hasn't been mentioned on here until now given it's indirectly an Atari release.    I've seen it get some decent reviews on other sites. 

Well it is an Apple II forum .. it of overlaps ... I only posted here about it after doing a search to see if people had discussed the original in the past. When I saw that it had been discussed a few times I figured it was OK.

Posted (edited)

I remember seeing the boxes for these games on the shelves at the Apple computer store back in the mid 80's when I was a teenager. I believe their were three Wizardry games released altogether. I never played them but I just love how much work they put into the boxes back in those days. Plus, you always got lots of cool stuff with games back in those glorious days. Even though I never played these games it would be worth owning a set of real copies because of the memories of computer gaming at the time.

Edited by bigfriendly

On 6/3/2024 at 7:22 PM, Newsdee said:

If I'm not mistaken they all have the same levels and mechanics (except the DOS version that has random level up penalties), 
so whatever you learn on one of the games can be used on the others.

Nope, the console/handheld ports have different maps. There are a lot of similarities, but in the computer games, IIRC the dungeons were all 20x20, and for the ports they chopped them down to 16x16.
Apparently this new port has the console maps available as a bonus option.

The console ports also added a couple QoL features, like thieves being able to backstab in the older games, and changing the Dumapic spell into an automap feature. And some of the equipment is slightly different and/or has different names.
I was playing the GBC port for a while at work, I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the few games I really desired on the Atari 8bit that never came.  When I was finally able to try it out there was so much manual pieces to be managed I didnt have time to play it.  In 1983 I wouldve been all over it, in the 2000's it was a drag.

Does this new version allow you to play without having to resort to the manual on how to do pretty much everything?  Is the interface alot simplier?

• 1 month later...

I only played it on an old Mac SE, which was in black and white, but it used the mouse and ability to move windows around to great effect. You could even edit the class icons once you got them to ... level 10, I think it was?  It's been so long since I played it.

I got to the point where I could crush Werdna with ease, but it took a long time to get there.