IGNORED

New Atari 2600 Homebrew: Ultar's Lair

Posted (edited)

Greetings to all.

My name is Jorge Romero, from Oniric Factor.

I've been making videogames for classic consoles and computers for quite some time. However I hadn't touched Atari circuits before.

We have just finished our first Atari 2600 game and I would like to share it with you.

ULTAR'S LAIR:

GPAUNmMWAAAmr4t.thumb.png.e7fb3f2b896e6ac4356cbf531ad5d6bc.png

A terrible epidemic ravages the inhabitants of Ekeanor, drying up their fields and turning its people to stone.

Only a young druid knows the origin of such a dreadful curse: it is the legacy of Ultar, the sorcery of an insidious wizard who hides in an ancient, forgotten temple buried deep within the earth.

His malevolent spell siphons the vital energy from the creatures on the surface to fuel his own power, seeking his return to the realm of the living where he plans to rule with an iron fist.

Armed only with an enchanted dagger and the strength of his will, our hero ventures into the depths of the abyss, determined to face a legion of demons and uproot the source of this dreadful curse.

Control the hero with the joystick and attack with the fire button.

Locate the key on each dungeon level to open the exit and continue descending into the depths.

gbr6Wh.png

5.thumb.png.fb3ca2c0fae988c1e450c8096ce57b49.png

By pressing the console switch, you can view the map of each dungeon that makes up Ultar's lair.

Use it to avoid getting lost.

Imagen

In each dungeon, you will find items that will strengthen and aid you in your mission: increasing your hit points, improving your weapon, increasing your movement speed, or even allowing you to resurrect once after falling in combat.

As you delve deeper into Ultar's lair, new enemies will appear. Remember that while they flicker in blue, they will be immune to your attacks.

Wait for the right moment to stab their black hearts!

yIH50z.png

In each dungeon level, there is also a room where you can recover your strength.

Take note of their locations to make your mission easier.

While we study the options for a physical edition, the digital version of Ultar's Lair for ATARI 2600 is already available at itchio:

https://oniric-factor.itch.io/ultars-lair

Edited by Fenris78
Include new screenshots
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Great idea to incorporate the dungeon map into the game with a console switch.    Did you use Batari Basic or code in ASM out of curiosity?   If you chose the former, why did you decide to use 9 rows instead of 11 for the playfield and did that shrink the playable space?    As someone new to coding, I try to ask questions about why choices are made by more experienced programmers.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Great idea to incorporate the dungeon map into the game with a console switch

Thanks!

Did you use Batari Basic or code in ASM out of curiosity?   If you chose the former, why did you decide to use 9 rows instead of 11 for the playfield and did that shrink the playable space?

I've used Batari Basic, and a couple of ASM mini kernels for the multi score and the bitmap screens. I think that it is powerfull and simple enough to make great games!

I thought of a 9 rows and 9 lines design because I wanted to have a symmetrical area for each dungeon design. On the other hand, it is a way to save memory, since the "arrays" (They are not exactly that, although they are used in a similar way) that defines each area are smaller. The “engine” underneath manages multiple dungeons with a maximum of 81 screens each (9x9), which I considered enough to be able to run reasonably complex mazes, but without driving the player crazy and saving a little program memory. It's usefull too to gain game cycles and speed.

2 hours ago, LatchKeyKid said:

As someone new to coding, I try to ask questions about why choices are made by more experienced programmers.

Of course, I often do the same. It's the best way to keep learning!

Thanks for your interest!

PD: Your RONIN! project looks great!

Edited by Fenris78
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

What a pleasant surprise! I purchased the digital copy and played it a bit. Very nice aesthetic - simple but polished. The hero even has that little Nintendo bounce! Thank you so much for making the ROM available!

Any plans to produce a manual?

Edited by Almaric

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing Ultar's Lair on Tuesday's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 3