IGNORED

IGN ranks the Atari 7800 over the Sega Master System! Do you agree?

Pac-Lander

Which is the superior 8-bit system?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the superior 8-bit system?

• Atari 7800 ProSystem
    • Sega Master System

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Jack was too cheap to ever plausibly compete with the Nintendos and Segas of the world. While they were putting advanced mappers and graphics chips and save game functionality in carts he was demanding that half of completed games be cut out and thrown away to fit on a cheaper rom.

• Like 7

If Atari had somehow successfully introduced a successor to the VCS, the Tramiel era at Atari wouldn't have happened, at least not as soon.  Additionally, if SMB had been released on an Atari branded console, today we'd all have the latest Atari SabreTooth console perched beneath our widescreens. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/12/2024 at 3:16 PM, zzip said:

And if you actually read my posts instead of putting words into my mouth you would have noticed I said the 7800 would have been acceptable if it was released instead of the 5200.   Replacing the 5200 with the 7800 was the huge blunder.

You're hiding behind a finger. In truth, once again it is your attempt to place the 5200, a repackaged Atari 400 (1979), in the same generation as the 7800 (1984). You are deliberately erasing 5 years of technology, essentially almost equating a system that can move 4 monochrome sprites + 4 missiles with a new generation system that can have over 200 multicolored sprites on the screen. It would be like equating a NES to a Neo Geo.

Indeed:

On 12/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, zzip said:

But for the 7800, I don't think that offered enough of an upgrade over the 5200 to justify its existence, and it was a major step back in other ways.

And again:

On 6/11/2024 at 5:03 PM, zzip said:

5200/7800/XEGS would all be third generation consoles

7800: over 200 multicolored sprites

Atari7800GraphicsModesMaxSpritesTested.thumb.PNG.fa10d4b22d7819a88048d0b871ee210c.PNG

---------------------------------------------------

On 6/12/2024 at 3:07 PM, zzip said:

but you're a 7800 fanboy who always twists my words into something else

"The ox which says cuckold to the donkey".

For the record, I have never had the initiative to criticize other systems or derail discussions, a few times I responded to some false and disparaging comments about 7800 tech. Your 7800 Misinformation/Disinformation activity is public, let the reader decide who is the fanboy here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Everybody saying the Master System had a better controller has me questioning if you ever used a Master System controller. Never in the history of the world has a console had a more imprecise directional pad.

Painline for 7800 is no joke either, you will feel a whole new kind of pain … the europads for 7800 are on par with the sms, maybe a tad better. Are those the ones you use by any chance?

I usually play my sms with a 3 button md/genny pad and a cut pin on a gender-changer din 9 connected to an extension cord, much better than stock sms controller for sure.

Edited by phoenixdownita

14 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Everybody saying the Master System had a better controller has me questioning if you ever used a Master System controller. Never in the history of the world has a console had a more imprecise directional pad.

The Xbox 360 d-pad is by far the most imprecise, followed by the OG Xbox d-pad. I can't say I ever noticed any major problems with the SMS control pad. Maybe you had a damaged one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

The Xbox 360 d-pad is by far the most imprecise, followed by the OG Xbox d-pad. I can't say I ever noticed any major problems with the SMS control pad. Maybe you had a damaged one?

Oh hell, those things practically ruined the Xbox live arcade games for anything that was not meant to be played with the analog (and there’s a bunch) … atrocious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

I agree with all that!   If I remember and/or understood it right, MS released a "special" controller just for Fifa fans and the big selling point was "this one's dpad doesn't suck!"  I remember thinking that seemed like something they just just fix on all of them since they're aware it's an issue.

• Thanks 1

I don't love the SMS pads but vs the ProLine? SMS wins again I think.

I'd put the SMS pad and the Atari Euro pad dead even head to head....with the SMS the issue is the weird pad, with the Euro pad (for me) the issue is the super high pad/super low buttons, and the fact that it may be the smallest dpad of the older gens.

16 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

And this has me questioning if you've ever used a 7800 ProLine joystick.

Give me an imprecise square directional pad over carpal tunnel syndrome anytime. 😜 

• Like 1

Since I mentioned the 7800 sprites capacity above, I'm taking this opportunity to share this demo for people who missed it. I absolutely do not want to steal votes from the Master System, it is just another example that shows how the 7800 has been deprived of resources and underestimated.

7800 Eighty-Six Sprites + full background by RevEng:

https://raz0red.github.io/js7800/?cart=https://forums.atariage.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1054377&key=dc5b1dc081a9dae418a6682e44407568

*(if it doesn't play music, hit the reset button - some browsers mute sound until you interact)

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, KrunchyTC said:

Am I the only one who actually likes the proline joystick controller? 🤔

Not sure “only 1” but extremely few want to touch them, the fact in Europe they had the europads instead is telling.

These things:

https://atari.com/products/cx78-gamepad

(the mini joystick comes out like smspads 1st gen)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

Since I mentioned the 7800 sprites capacity above, I'm taking this opportunity to share this demo for people who missed it. I absolutely do not want to steal votes from the Master System, it is just another example that shows how the 7800 has been deprived of resources and underestimated.

7800 Eighty-Six Sprites + full background by RevEng:

https://raz0red.github.io/js7800/?cart=https://forums.atariage.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1054377&key=dc5b1dc081a9dae418a6682e44407568

*(if it doesn't play music, hit the reset button - some browsers mute sound until you interact)

I asked this question in programming forum. If you targeted 30fps, would you be able to run Blaster Master with full on BGs, bidirectional scrolling, and color?

Edited by KrunchyTC

1 hour ago, KrunchyTC said:

Am I the only one who actually likes the proline joystick controller? 🤔

I liked it fine as a kid, and don't "not" like it now, but it's not anything I'd ever choose over using a Sega Genesis pad or something similar.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KrunchyTC said:

I asked this question in programming forum. If you targeted 30fps, would you be able to run Blaster Master with full on BGs, bidirectional scrolling, and color?

Then let’s wait for the answer there.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/13/2024 at 7:21 PM, jeremiahjt said:

It's true. The Painline is precise but agonizing, the Master System is comfortable but useless. Thankfully we have better options nowadays.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 8:54 AM, Zoyous said:

Yes, all dozen or so Master System controllers I have are all damaged in the EXACT same way.

The Master System directional pad being difficult to use is well known. Hitting a diagonal when trying to move in a cardinal direction, or having trouble hitting the diagonal and only the diagonal, have been talked about for a long, long, time. It is not something new, or something I just made up.

52 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Yes, all dozen or so Master System controllers I have are all damaged in the EXACT same way.

The Master System directional pad being difficult to use is well known. Hitting a diagonal when trying to move in a cardinal direction, or having trouble hitting the diagonal and only the diagonal, have been talked about for a long, long, time. It is not something new, or something I just made up.

You are not wrong, sms ctrl are diagonally challenged.

ProLine are painful, if your 7800 sessions are short it may be survivable, but not enjoyable… anything hectic (joust, food fight, commando ….) is physically hard to endure for 5 minutes.