IGNORED

New Atari SuperSprint Arcade reveal

PowerDubs

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Mind BLOWN!!!  I don't recall ever playing this back then, must have been very rare.  In fact, I really don't remember trying it via emulation, either.  Weird. 

This was ported to the Amiga but it just wasn’t SuperSprint 😢 , I played it but …

This cabinet also shows https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Off_Road

Edited by phoenixdownita

4 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

This was ported to the Amiga but it just wasn’t SuperSprint 😢 , I played it but …

This cabinet also shows https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Off_Road

Ironically, it's on Midway Treasures 3 with several other Atari/Midway arcade games.  I have it on PS2 somewhere, but don't think I ever got around to playing it!

8 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Mind BLOWN!!!  I don't recall ever playing this back then, must have been very rare.  In fact, I really don't remember trying it via emulation, either.  Weird. 

Yeah, Atari Games only sold a few hundred as kits - it was basically a response to Leland's Super Off-Road (which is also on the video so, it's also unlikely they licensed that too)

12 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

The claim is for 60, as in 5 dozens, preconfigured games, that makes each on avg ~58us$.

I would be absolutely shocked if this is all on the up-and-up. Which is too bad - the bigger cab seems like a great design. But, if they get shut down by one of the several companies whose IP they've violated, perhaps someone like Alan-1 or Retro Arcade Remakes will be able to take the idea and run with it but with fewer, licensed, games.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

That was a game that never got ported to any other 16bit system other than Atari’s own Atari ST (like Sega did for its 3d arcades on Saturn)

This was after the Atari split, so Atari Games should have no incentive to make Atari ST exclusives.   Didn't most of Atari Games arcade games of the era get ported to the Amiga?

I'm thinking it's more likely SuperSprint came out before the A500, when Atari ST was still outselling the Amiga

Posted (edited)

The company is obviously purely for the home market.  I see nothing on their website that says this is meant for commercial use.  It's an emulator box with steering wheels that plays roms, for someone's man cave.  No different than an AtGames Legends emulator cabinet.  It's got a PC inside.  I wouldn't doubt you could load your own roms and play them if the steering wheel-type control was appropriate.  I mean, the guy is playing Tempest with it.  It's for fans of driving games that want a dedicated home cabinet with multiple steering wheels to play their buddies in the man cave.

Edit: The coin door is "for fun", I'm sure.  You would never see this in an arcade.

Edited by TampaBay
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, zzip said:

This was after the Atari split, so Atari Games should have no incentive to make Atari ST exclusives.   Didn't most of Atari Games arcade games of the era get ported to the Amiga?

I'm thinking it's more likely SuperSprint came out before the A500, when Atari ST was still outselling the Amiga

Not sure, the same is true for Gauntlet, there was an ST port but no Amiga … second game I played at the friend’s house.

6 minutes ago, TampaBay said:

The company is obviously purely for the home market.  I see nothing on their website that says this is meant for commercial use.  It's an emulator box with steering wheels that plays roms, for someone's man cave.  No different than an AtGames Legends emulator cabinet.  It's got a PC inside.  I wouldn't doubt you could load your own roms and play them if the steering wheel-type control was appropriate.  I mean, the guy is playing Tempest with it.  It's for fans of driving games that want a dedicated home cabinet with multiple steering wheels to play their buddies in the man cave.

Edit: The coin door is "for fun", I'm sure.  You would never see this in an arcade.

Either way you cannot plaster it with Atari logo and the name.

I thought it was an Atari product honestly.

1 minute ago, phoenixdownita said:

Either way you cannot plaster it with Atari logo and the name.

I thought it was an Atari product honestly.

I agree completely.  That's their choice if they want to roll the dice.  I have no idea how it will work out for them.  We also don't know if those logos will even be on production products.  I don't think they've even built any production models yet.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zzip said:

Super Sprint was a 1987 ST release by publisher Electric Dreams, they had also annouced an ST conversion of the rather obscure Arcade game, Firetrap if my memory serves, but nothing came of that,so i assume they were watching the new 16-bit market very carefully. 

Talking of Super Sprint.. 

Not sure if anyone has tried this on the Amiga? 

https://blog.amigaguru.com/a-look-at-an-super-sprint-remake-turbo-sprint-for-your-amiga/

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Not sure, the same is true for Gauntlet, there was an ST port but no Amiga … second game I played at the friend’s house.

Amiga got Gauntlet II though, right?   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 1:39 AM, Albert said:

I'd love to see NeoSprint running on this!

I don’t know what would be a logical course of action here.

Some have mentioned ‘striking deals’ over just - what I perceive as taking it down/stopping it.

Perhaps, something could be done to have them come with Atari-games, both old arcade versions and Recharged games, that uses/can use wheel-steering/controls, - officially by Atari -, with versions ‘stripped of any unlicensed content’, and be sold for, well, whomever may be interested (either small scale commercial, - an Arcade in the corner of some Grill -, or just simply Mancave stuff).

If it’s quality build, it’s unfortunate if it couldn’t be used for something more positive in longlasting and officially licensed sense.

However, I understand that Atari cannot get entangled in anything ‘shady’ if that should turn out to be the reality behind this, as such stuff could end up being pretty expensive.

But stripping it of anything of that kind, - if the cabinets really are quality -, seeing a properly licensed version with a line-up of wheel-control compatible Atari games, could be really nice both for gamers and perhaps to make an overlap/comparison release of older and recharged games in the same unit.

The unmodded Recharged games are now about $7-12 each, and many of the older arcade originals are Atari 50th content.

Making it happen that inclusion of such games would be officially and properly licensed, could make the games ‘everyone’ can buy right now, end up in a physical format that would make them much more enjoyable for target audiences like oldschool Arcade enthusiasts.

- - -

Saying all this, I’ll freely and openly admit that all the ins-and outs of the legal ‘what if this or what if that’ isn’t my strongest side.

But if this is quality-build, I agree that having things like NeoSprint or any other wheel-like controlled game(s), would make for nice content on it.

If something had to happen to protect the Atari Logo, perhaps just say: ‘hey, strip the cabinets of any shady software, from now on its these 15-20 Atari games included in the PC, and we get XX % of everything you make on selling it.’

But again I’m not some lawyer. And I don’t know what other aspects that would have to be considered.

- - -

One more thing; if Ataris budget needs tight priority, then of course they need to really consider whats worth their time, energy and money.

If Atari had gotten something akin to this produced - licensed and official - from day1;

a) how much money could Atari make on it?

b) how much positive attention would it bring Atari (and its games)?

Edited by Giles N

I played one of these when I was younger... but more like the late 90s, back at a place called Grand Prix Race-O-Rama.

It only had 2 steering wheels though, from what I can remember.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I played one of these when I was younger... but more like the late 90s, back at a place called Grand Prix Race-O-Rama.

It only had 2 steering wheels though, from what I can remember.

The 2P version may be Championship Sprint:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Sprint#Championship_Sprint

so told I do not know if there was a 2P cabinet of Super Sprint, I only ever encountered the 3P.

Edited by phoenixdownita

On 6/6/2024 at 4:20 PM, Lostdragon said:

Super Sprint was a 1987 ST release by publisher Electric Dreams, they had also annouced an ST conversion of the rather obscure Arcade game, Firetrap if my memory serves, but nothing came of that,so i assume they were watching the new 16-bit market very carefully. 

Talking of Super Sprint.. 

Not sure if anyone has tried this on the Amiga? 

https://blog.amigaguru.com/a-look-at-an-super-sprint-remake-turbo-sprint-for-your-amiga/

Yes it plays very well, he has done a number of decent ports/games

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the company selling the large super sprint sold out the initial allocation.

they are making 6 at a time, and have about 30 or so sold in the lot.

they may resume production once done. but they'll announce it at some point.

the company has been around for several years, and has sold many extra parts,

and multicades before.

i haven't bought anything from them, but people that have, hadn't mentioned any issues.

later

|  || | || 

ne gative 1

• Like 1