IGNORED

Does the 2600+ support the Driving Controller?

Dionoid

On 6/15/2024 at 3:34 PM, Dionoid said:

Yeah, I agree the driving controller is a niche item. Also a driving controller looks confusingly similar to a paddle controller, so I can see why Atari decided not use this in more games.

Anyway, hopefully this controller will be supported eventually.

I also hope it is becoming compatible because with THRUST+ one of my favorite games needs it together with the footpedals :-)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2024 at 3:30 PM, Video said:

I just wonder, why? To my understanding of a driving controllers operation, it basically is just toggling right and left on and off.

--SNIP--

I think it is actually up and down, and it isn't actually toggling, per se, but creates a square wave with the two inputs.

But that is moot if it doesn't work.

There is exactly ONE original game that uses it, Indy 500, plus a few hacks...

Now, if it were to be used on the second port with a pistol grip joystick... Spinner for Tron!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 1:01 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

It’s an encoder wheel with optics that measure direction and speed.

THis

On 6/15/2024 at 11:36 AM, Tickled_Pink said:

I had a feeling the mechanics might have been along those lines. So, it's analogue with the axis showing how far it's travelled since the last read?

It is digital. A digital encoder generates a square wave.  ¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|_|¯¯|

Pots are analog. voltage goes from low to high as the resistance changes when you turn it one way and High to low the other way.

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 1:01 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

It’s an encoder wheel with optics that measure direction and speed.

I have never opened one, but I am pretty sure it's just a simple mechanical encoder with no optics.

I can say that the direction and speed is done in software, though, based on the 2-bit gray code from the encoder.

OK, so after a short brainstorm session, it looks like DC (and trackball) support should be possible on the 2600+.

If the 2600+ has code dedicated to a single game (Pitfall II) then why not some niche controllers as well?

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, batari said:

OK, so after a short brainstorm session, it looks like DC (and trackball) support should be possible on the 2600+.

If the 2600+ has code dedicated to a single game (Pitfall II) then why not some niche controllers as well?

Is that limited to port one? Just curious. Why is port two not able to support the touch pad? As of yet. I know I read a post on that.

Edited by MrChickenz

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2024 at 5:23 AM, batari said:

I have never opened one, but I am pretty sure it's just a simple mechanical encoder with no optics.

I can say that the direction and speed is done in software, though, based on the 2-bit gray code from the encoder.

Having destroyed one to build a custom spinner for Tempest 2000 on Jaguar after Jeff Minter posted instructions, it is absolutely a mechanical encoding wheel and not optical or analogue. Spinner worked great by the way: T2K has a button code you need to input to make the controller select appear. Sold that with my Jag looong ago.

Re: why this and the touchpad aren’t supported, in one of the (many) threads where this was asked I believe it was down to the chip which does I/O only passing along input from CX40/30 and 7800 controllers. There was further comment that they may be able to access the firmware on this chip to reprogram it, but it would appear to be either non-trivial or is waiting in the queue until after game compatibility issues are sorted.

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 1