IGNORED

Super Pro Baseball

My fav game as well...when I plug INTV in...its always a must play.  Shut out...unimaginable...thats awesome!!!  I always think the computer finds a way to score on purpose.  lol.   Plus I always make a fielding mistake at least one time.   We had a baseball battle in our HS when I was a kid.  Ending winning 4-3 in championship game....when it was 1-1.  Super Pro Baseball can't be topped.  My highest run total...28.  How about that for a challenge?   Im def playing it after work today.  

The AI loaded the bases with no outs in the 9th and I thought the shutout was in jeopardy, however the next batter hit a dribbler that I turned into a triple play to end the game. I wish I recorded it. I’m going to play another game tonight. Not sure if I’ll have a similar score. Lol

• Like 3

On 6/15/2024 at 4:59 AM, ZillaRUSH said:

Post it if you break 30...its like they know you are trying to score and give you pop up out every play. LOL. I had one game recently...17 runs thru 5 and the game crashed.  

I thought today was the day, had 19 after 5 but fell just short. Had a shutout going into the 9th again but couldn’t hold it this time. 

IMG_6304.jpeg

I've been struggling all weekend...19 still my high..havent even broken 20.  Nothing is worse than three straight pop outs in an inning.  I did have three outs in 3 pitches one inning.  Will keep plugging away.

I keep sucking out...yet to break 20 since I started trying.  Computer knows...lol.  Another game today.  30+ is elusive!   Just a thought...imagine we had lineups like Slam Dunk Basketball.  Now that would be cool!!!  Storage allow for such an updated game?

8 hours ago, ZillaRUSH said:

I keep sucking out...yet to break 20 since I started trying.  Computer knows...lol.  Another game today.  30+ is elusive!   Just a thought...imagine we had lineups like Slam Dunk Basketball.  Now that would be cool!!!  Storage allow for such an updated game?

WSMLB and Slam Dunk had some good player names, Accolade sports games had some very funny and clever names too.  4th & Inches were very good.

You all have me feeling like playing Super Pro Baseball.

As much as I like my updates to SP Baseball, I was not 100% happy with the game. For a reason I can not recall, I just did not finish it. So.... should we release a 2024 version? The high scores would go away :)

It was mentioned to put different levels in.

What do you all want?

• Like 2

Lost last nite 29-24.  Didn't care about D...but at least 24 runs.  Will keep trying.  I def would like players names added like Slam Dunk.  I love the draft and money caps.  Getting Professor Q is awesome.  We could have names like Hammerin Han (Hank Aaron).  Say Hay Kid (Willie Mays).  Put in some all time greats.  Babe Roof..lol. And add in currents..Mike Fish (Trout).  So Hey Otonknee (Ohtani).  A 2024 version would be amazing!!  Super Pro Baseball II.  ...or Grand Slam Baseball.  A cool intro screen would be fantastic (something with Yer Out on it!).  Also, if storage allows...box score (stats like Slam Dunk).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, intvdave said:

As much as I like my updates to SP Baseball, I was not 100% happy with the game. For a reason I can not recall, I just did not finish it. So.... should we release a 2024 version? The high scores would go away :)

It was mentioned to put different levels in.

What do you all want?

That would be wonderful. 

Some things to note: 

1. Maybe find out what causes the game to freeze on occasion

2. It's too easy to score after rounding 3rd base. (You are rounding 3rd and the ball is being thrown to 3rd, lean off a little so there is gap between you and the 3rd baseman, after he catches the ball start heading to home and he will follow you and he will not throw the ball to home until the very last second into your slide and 99% of the time you will score.

3. I can't decide if i like the AI running in this or WCB better. In WCB if i throw to a base which the runner is heading he turns around immediately. But in  this he keeps on going. But that can also cost the CPU as well, a few times i have thrown to home when he is only half way to it and continues to run and get himself out. But i'd say most times he's scoring and it is an improvement. 

4. Maybe let us reposition the outfielders closer to the back wall. Sometimes the CPU gets on a roll and you can't stop them and they hit it to wall over and over and you have no way to get to the ball fast enough. 

5. Instead of hitting enter to show the stats, hit enter to not show the stats. I would prefer to see the stats by default. 

The learning curve to this game is steep. I bought the Rom from you in 2016 and thought the game was too hard. The pitching was way too fast and the cpu was way too good. For the next 7+ years i didn't touch the game lol. But finally this year i gave it another chance and started to get good at it finally. Now i play it all the time. You do get used to the fast pitching after a while. It can be a shock at first. This game went from my bottom 10 homebrews to my top 10. 

I just played this a couple nights ago and was having my best game ever and it froze on me after the 5th inning. Unfortunate. lol

Edited by IntellivisionDude
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IntellivisionDude said:

That would be wonderful.

Great feedback. Thanks! I will target fixing most of your notes. This may end up being a 2025 release.

As for the bug in the game, the original programmers spent more than year trying to fix them. I do not have much hope to solve this as the bug is not easy to reproduce. But, I was able to fix Space Spartans :)

Below is the text from the game's trivia webpage.

Baseball II, however, was a favorite of baseball-fanatic Mike Minkoff (Snafu). The game had been essentially completed, but regularly crashed, despite weeks of debugging at APh. Mattel didn't want to put any more resources into the game, but Mike, although now a Director in charge of Intellivision, Aquarius and M Network development, volunteered to debug the game himself after hours. Since the game had already been announced in several catalogs and press releases (as All-Star Major League Baseball), Mattel kept the title on the schedule and let Mike work on it, on and off as he had time, throughout 1983.

Mike managed to clean most of the bugs out of the game, but the cause of one occasional crash eluded him. He linked in a debugging module written by Rick Koenig (Motocross) that displayed the contents of registers and status words on screen when a game halted. Mike was still trying to trace the problem when, in January 1984, Mattel Electronics was closed.

• Like 6