IGNORED

The curse of Sports games

Brad2600

I tried to unload 2 Madden games for the SNES and NHL 95 for the Genesis and not one..but TWO different stores would not buy them. They claimed that they don't sell.

I'm quite pissed off. I picked them up for the purpose of trade or re-sale and I can't even get rid of them!

Anyone have this problem? What was your solution?

I wouldn't put the games on Evilbay. They might not sell.

You bought sports games with the intent to resell them? Boy, that was your first mistake right there. Sports games NEVER increase in value unless they're bizarre ones like Mutant League Hockey or something.

You might be able to get 50 cents each for those games... but that's assuming you find anyone who's interested.

--Zero

You bought sports games with the intent to resell them? Boy, that was your first mistake right there. Sports games NEVER increase in value unless they're bizarre ones like Mutant League Hockey or something.

You might be able to get 50 cents each for those games... but that's assuming you find anyone who's interested.

--Zero

Well I never paid over $1 for any of them. They were picked up at a Salvation Army.

I know that Maibock was interested in my copy of Deion Sanders Prime Time Football but so far, he has not gotten back to me. He collects sports games.

I'd just give them away to anyone who wanted them or I'd trade.

Maybe EBay has diehard Madden collectors?

--Zero

I know that Maibock was interested in my copy of Deion Sanders Prime Time Football but so far, he has not gotten back to me. He collects sports games.

Maybe EBay has diehard Madden collectors?

Oh crap, sorry Kepone. Not quite sure where we were with that deal. I thought you were going to see what else you had and let me know.. I'll take those SNES Madden games as well off ya, since we don't have them for the SNES. Shoot me a PM with your total.

I spent about $62 (CDN) on NHL 2K2 for the Dreamcast when it came out. At the time, since it was the last commercial American release, I was concerned that it might become rare or hard to get, and I was REALLY looking forward to getting a quality hockey game... so I snapped it up the first day it was available. I'm fairly certain this was the only Dreamcast game that I ever payed full price for... all my others I got for $30 at most.

Of course, now the game isn't very rare at all... Sega actually put out a respectable run of discs, so there were easily enough to go around. Oh well, I certainly wasn't planning to make money on it, and it's easily the best hockey game that I own (Still looking for a decent price on NHL 2K3 on GC).

--Zero

Every once in a blue moon, I'll buy a sports game when it's brand new just to try out new features or get the current roster. On the other hand, if you can pick up last year's version of the same game for less than half that, why not? You can always redesign the roster to be current if you're that gung-ho.

But since this is +classic+ gaming, not +modern+ gaming, let me get back on topic here. :D Sports games are, as already noted, notoriously bad at holding value. There's chiefly three reasons for that:

1. Everybody bought them new, so there are a lot of copies around.

2. Everybody got rid of them the next year, creating a lot of used copies.

3. Hardcore gamers go for platformers and RPG's first, which means out of every batch of used games, all that gets left is sports titles - creating an even BIGGER surplus in sports titles.

These factors work pretty consistantly to bury the value of any sports title that's not either strange but good (Mutant League Football) or a crazy cross between sports and platforming (Ninja Golf) or that has some other +quirk+ to make it interesting. Now there is one time I'll go for a sports game, and that's any Sega Genesis sports title I don't own that's BOXED AND COMPLETE, in NM shape or better. However, since I know these games get dumped like crazy, I wouldn't ever pay more than $1 for one. Period.

None of the stores around me will buy sports titles for any machine for the same reasons. Walk into any thrift or gaming pawn and you'll trip over six dozen of them. Buying a sports game for the express purpose of selling or trading is the retrogaming equivalent of buying a cheap Yugo in hopes of trade-in value towards a Ford. Most collectors instinctively ignore sports titles, with the odd exception here and there (i.e. "classic" sports titles like RBI Baseball for NES, or the Colecovision sports titles that used the Super Action controllers)

About the best thing you can do with sports titles is to use them as sacrificial padding when shipping better stuff in trades. :-)

I just picked up a bunch of N64 games at GameSpot for 99 cents each, including NHL 99, NFL Quarterback Club 2000, and one of the Madden games. I intend to go back next week and get some more. For a buck apiece if I play it once it's worth what I paid for it. :D

if you can pick up last year's version of the same game for less than half that, why not?  You can always redesign the roster to be current if you're that gung-ho.

It's really not as easy as it sounds though... I remember I tried doing this with NHL 2K2 by making all the 02-03 trades, and it was really hard to figure out where everyone went, since finding lists of trades isn't always easy. Not to mention the fact that you'll be missing all the rookies, and remaking them all with the create-a-player feature is a LOT of work (Deciding on what to put their stats and such at is really hit-or-miss, and newer games have so many features that you eventually just give up and make everyone almost the same). The NHL sees an awful lot of rookies, and most of them aren't interesting enough to go through the whole player creation thing.

I don't know if it's any easier with football, baseball, or basketball games, but it's certainly not a trivial thing for hockey games. Unless you're totally hardcore, you can probably just get by with the old roster... but you'll often end up with surprises when you end up playing against different goalies and whatnot.

--Zero

This is why many auctions I see for "LOT's" including a bunch of games are usually just about all sports games. Sure, I'd like to EVENTUALLY get every game including the sports, but I don't wanna buy a lot of them before I get any other games..

I passed up a couple Saturn and Genesis lots because they were all sports.