IGNORED

Gaming Magazines

Ze_ro

I was at the local thrift store today, and bought 15 video game magazines for under $8... they were mostly Gamepro's, but a few EGM's... and mostly around '99-'00 with lots of juicy Dreamcast coverage. Does anyone else here collect magazines? My collection is seriously starting to rival my collection of actual video games!

I've got tons of Gamepro's dating back to the earlier '90s (I used to get them new at the time), and my brother managed to hook me up with someone else's collection of EGM's that date back to almost the same. I also recently managed to score about a dozen ODCM's and PSM's (even though I don't have a working Playstation). I'd like to find some more early Nintendo Power magazines with NES coverage, but they don't seem to show up very often around here. I always liked their strategy sections, as they often had some excellent maps of the levels in games like Battletoads and Super Mario Bros 2.

The reviews in most of these magazines aren't terribly reliable, but at least there's some good screen shots... they often come up with some interesting gossip (I love seeing them hype up the SNES CD so much), and occasionally have some neat articles (One EGM had a "Complete History of Video Games" that was at least half-accurate, and another had a pretty thorough Video Game Aptitude Test with 160 questions).

--Zero

Cool find. I have some old Electronic Games mags from back in the day, and older issues of Computer Gaming World, from back before they slashed their once excellent reviews into make room for more useless game previews. :roll:

Lots of computer magazines, though. Nearly a full run of BYTE through the late 80's, Creative Computing, COMPUTE!, and a few others.

Yep as I always say I love old videogame mags :) I have quite a lot that I never threw away from the 80's (Joystik, Electronic Games, Video Games, yada yada yada) and I'm pretty sure I have 99% of the entire EGM/EGP collection and it's offshoots. I used to have most all Gamefans but a lot were lost last year during a typhoon :sad: . Those suckers get big and heavy after a while though...

I'm a pack rat, so I have most of the magazines i've ever bought. Most of them I bought in the early to mid 90's. I actually have the very first issue of GamePro. I got it free at Toys R' Us when I bought a 7800 game. I bought a lot of GamePros with Atari 7800 reviews. I also picked them up when they had Jaguar and Lynx reviews. I didn't bother with other consoles too much back then.

I like going through my Atarian magazines every once in a while. It's nice to think about what could have been. . . . .

I have a bunch of old EGs, JoyStiks, Electronic Funs and the like. They're fun to look through.

(Shameless plug starts)

If you want to read an in-depth interview with Bill Kunkel (also known as the Game Doctor), the guy who started the very first video gaming magazine, here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Ser...2990/kunkel.htm

(Shamless plug ends)

Man, I never even look at the other forums apparently... But that forum is called "Atari Publications"... and I'd hardly say that Gamepro and EGM fall into that category :roll:

Are there any websites that have scanned copies of some of the older Atari-era magazines? I'd love to take a look through some of them.

--Zero

I have a small collection of late 80s early 90s Computer Gaming Worlds.

And a few other misc PC and gameboy mags from about 10 years ago.

The CGWs are my favorites, some of the old ones are from when they

still used black and white photos. It was a great magazine back then.

They had a great top 100 list of reader ranked games and the reviews

were excellent. Quite in depth and critical. I stopped buying it about 5

years ago and now pick up the odd issue. It certainly is weak today.

I wonder where all of their great staff went? I know there was one

guy whose name graces the odd strategy guide.

What I wish I had kept were my old Commodore magazines I had

some of the last ones printed before the closed shop and sold their

membership to Run magazine.

John

www.atarimagazines.com

www.page6.org

Pretty cool... but are there any scanned magazines about 2600 stuff? I was never big into the Atari 8-bit computers.

Unfortunately, other than the AtariAge magazines here on AtariAge (obviously no relation to each other than being both about Atari) there are no classic video game magazines archived on the Net yet. I'm hoping someone will bravely step forward and start this process. The people at www.atarimagazines.com/www.atariarchives.org already have WAY to many 8-bit computer books and magazines to do.

Allan

In addition to the classic gaming magazines I have displayed at my site, I also have a huge collection of video game books from the same era. Many deal with coin-op games, some with home games, and a few with history like for example the original "ZAP! The Rise and Fall of Atari".

Have a look around my site there! :D

http://retrogames-r-us.tripod.com

I started collecting magazines recently. Mostly just Nintendo Power and mainly only so that I can scan them and put them on PlayNintendo.com.

I also collected old motor trends and other car magazine from the 60s that featured or had an article on my 65 Caddy.

If you need help scanning old NP covers, let me know. I have the first three years of my original subscription (from about issue 14 on up) plus a current subscription, and I'm working to fill in the intervening issues here and there that I missed when my subscription lapsed in college.

I think you might like these  

AtariAge Magazine

Joystik

They're both dead links. You can find AtariAge magazine right here at AtariAge under the left hand column on the front page. Click on 'magazines'.

Allan

Yeah I couldn't get the AA link to work, But the Joystik link should work now. Off to the right are a couple links to both Atari Age scans and another site devoted to classic mags. Good stuff.