IGNORED

2600+ Paddle resolution

Glokenpop

12 hours ago, Glokenpop said:

Have they fixed the resolution of the Paddle in the 2600+ emulation yet?

Sorry I did a search and couldn't find anything.

No change was done in latest 1.1x-r3 release.

Hope it will be worked on next, together with  Trakball support.

PAL paddle games work better on 1.1.1x-r3 as the 50Hz video output is stable but the resolution should be the same.

The 9pol ports seem to be recognized as usb controllers by retroarch, which runs underneath of the emulation. So maybe a paddle ist just an analogue stick🤔. I guess they will need to bypass retroarch and have self written input drivers? I am not into writing code since 2008 and have no details about this emulation stuff but for me it looks like it's possible but also quite a bit of work. Let's see and keep fingers crossed🤙

54 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

But it's not all the paddle games, it's just Kaboom and Super Breakout, bc regular breakout is normal. 

Right, Solarstorm, Eggomania, Tac Scan, Medieval Mayham, Brik,... they all work great.

Kaboom, Super Breakout and Circus Atari are not as smooth as on original hardware but the overall experience is good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Right, Solarstorm, Eggomania, Tac Scan, Medieval Mayham, Brik,... they all work great.

Kaboom, Super Breakout and Circus Atari are not as smooth as on original hardware but the overall experience is good.

So are you saying they have fixed it for Breakout and Video Olympics etc or are you saying it has always been good on those just not Kaboom, Super Breakout and Circus?

15 hours ago, Glokenpop said:

So are you saying they have fixed it for Breakout and Video Olympics etc or are you saying it has always been good on those just not Kaboom, Super Breakout and Circus?

It didn't change since SW 1.0 but the PAL paddle games run better with stable 50Hz on 1.1xr3.

Kaboom, Super Breakout and Circus Atari are prone to the lower resolution of the 2600+. 

In my opinion the controls are not perfect even on original hardware, so you spot it more on the 2600+.

The other games have better programming and run fine on the 2600+ from SW 1.0 on, the PAL games had video output issues, which got fixed but paddle resolution never changed  but the lower resolution is a problem for only 3 games in my opinion...

Edited by DEANJIMMY

On 6/15/2024 at 3:01 PM, tradyblix said:

But it's not all the paddle games, it's just Kaboom and Super Breakout, bc regular breakout is normal. 

No, the paddles don't perform normally on regular Breakout either (or any other game). They don't read as fine a degree of movement as they do when you use them on an original system or in Stella on a computer. I haven't updated my firmware, but since they haven't updated the paddle-reading aspect of the firmware as far as I know, it shouldn't matter.

It works, it just doesn't work as well as it should.

Edited by Glorkbot
emphasis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

No, the paddles don't perform normally on regular Breakout either (or any other game). They don't read as fine a degree of movement as they do when you use them on an original system or in Stella on a computer. I haven't updated my firmware, but since they haven't updated the paddle-reading aspect of the firmware as far as I know, it shouldn't matter.

It works, it just doesn't work as well as it should.

Well, we might be talking about multiple things, but Super Breakout is borderline unplayable, while games that were not as bad from the beginning like Video Olympics, warlords, and breakout were playable. IMO. 

It may never have been as good as the original hardware but. Just my subjective opinion. 

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Well, we might be talking about multiple things, but Super Breakout is borderline unplayable, while games that were not as bad from the beginning like Video Olympics, warlords, and breakout were playable. IMO. 

It may never have been as good as the original hardware but. Just my subjective opinion. 

Yes, some paddle games control better than others...that has always been true. But the Atari 2600+ does not read the paddles with as high a degree of accuracy as an original Atari 2600 or stella on your computer.  The paddles themselves are good though and perform perfectly when used with devices other than a 2600+.

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

The movement of the on screen paddle moves jerkily, ie, at a low resolution compared to what is expected and wanted. 

Ah, okay. I see it on all paddle games I've tried on the 2600+, though it's not so bad that I find them unplayable. Like you mentioned above though, it's especially prominent in Super Breakout.

Hopefully they'll work on improving it with the next firmware update, though I know getting it to original VCS/2600 smoothness may not be possible, unfortunately. 

Paddle games should have a smooth and responsive movement. You shouldn’t see any incremental movements.

For me Circus Atari seems to play fine. I have to try it on my original hardware again but while I was playing on the 2600+ I was enjoying it seemed fine.

Super Breakout has incremental movement but since I eliminated the jitter in my paddles it’s very playable!

Still has incremental movement. It would great if an update could smooth this out. But it’s not stopping me from playing and enjoying it.

Kaboom does not seem responsive enough, feels like a bit of lag. This I’m not playing so much not really enjoying it. I use to be good at it but I loose my first bucket on the same level every time. Feels like the response of the paddles isn’t there. Most likely due to the emulation.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2024 at 8:40 AM, Gabe said:

Ah, okay. I see it on all paddle games I've tried on the 2600+, though it's not so bad that I find them unplayable. Like you mentioned above though, it's especially prominent in Super Breakout.

Hopefully they'll work on improving it with the next firmware update, though I know getting it to original VCS/2600 smoothness may not be possible, unfortunately. 

I've used them in stella and it doesn't have the resolution problem - I'm pretty sure they use stella on the 2600+ I'm not sure what has happened there and why they haven't fixed it. It's a shame for me because I really wanted the 2600+ as a paddle machine.

• Like 2

I just tried the standalone CX30+ and the performance is noticeably better than the 4-1 paddles, so I don’t know if it’s something that will appear over time with use, but I’m not certain as to cause. My new paddles have less resistance to turning - not dramatically so, but that and reduced jitter suggests to me that there’s a combination of factors at play, one of which may be the chip reading the paddle input.