IGNORED

Third Party Controllers on the Atari 2600+

MrChickenz

What third party controllers work on Atari 2600+?

I’ve tried a few. All the ones I own worked except for the Coleco Dual Command Controller. I have four Dual Command Controllers all four wouldn’t work in the 2600+ for me they were glitching, responding sporadically, if at all. It’s a two in one controller with a built in paddle. The paddle was very jumpy, jittery or not responsive at all. The paddle does not use a potentiometer! But they work on my original hardware just fine.

So I thought I would revisit this issue and take a closer look at it. It turns out that the DB9 connection on theses controllers might be slightly smaller then other DB9 connector ends. I have two third party DB9 extension cords. I tried one with this controller and still had the same issue.

I tried my other third party extension cord and I noticed it has a tighter fit at both ends. This allowed all four of my Coleco Dual Command Controllers to work flawlessly on my Atari 2600+! Including the Paddles!

These controllers need a Y connector cord for the paddles to work and only for the paddles. Even if your only playing one player paddle games you still need the y connector. If using the joystick do not use the y connector.

I will be purchasing the official DB9 extension cords from Atari as these would have a better fit.

Other controllers that worked with no issues.

Hyperkin Trooper 

Hyperkin Ranger

Epyx 500 XJ

and now Coleco Dual Command Controller 

NOTE: It is possible that the DB9 connector ends on my controllers need replacing for how old they are but I did mention they work with my original hardware.

WHAT ONES WORK FOR YOU!

IMG_0787.jpeg

IMG_0788.jpeg

IMG_0793.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

I just tried the Coleco Dual Command Controller on my Flashback 10. While playing Keystone Kapers for a bit a message popped up to Disconnect the paddle controller. So the Flashback was seeing the paddle even though I was playing a joystick controller game.

I wonder if it has to with the emulation. The controller has more wires for the paddle but I believe that’s where the y adapter comes into play. Original hardware won’t recognize the paddles unless the y connector is plugged in for the Coleco Dual Command Controller.

On 6/20/2024 at 9:28 AM, MrChickenz said:

What third party controllers work on Atari 2600+?

I have a few 3rd party controllers.  All of them work fine on the 2600+, except for one.  Which is the Archer joystick.  The buttons have no input sometimes.  For some reason the joystick acts finicky.  If I use the same joystick on my 7800, it works no issue. 

The controllers that do work on the Plus:

Archer joystick (works sometimes)

Custom NES 7800 gamepad

Hyperkin Trooper joystick

Twin stick

SG-6 fight stick (requires 7800 Mega adapter)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

Oh! These are real nice! And the adapters!

The 8bitdo arcade stick got a Seimitsu LS32 joystick and Sanwa buttons🤗

I put those parts into my sticks since 1987🤙

The 1st one I built at age of 16 during my education at Bosch and used it later to play Amiga Kick Off 2 tournaments😊

It would work on the 2600+ too🕹

The RAP4 is USB, so it won't work on the plus, it is used on my retropie for Mega Drive, Mame, Mastersystem, C64, Spectrum, Amiga...😀

20210106_172806.jpg

20200603_145959.jpg

20221221_210856.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

The 8bitdo arcade stick got a Seimitsu LS32 joystick and Sanwa buttons🤗

I put those parts into my sticks since 1987🤙

The 1st one I built at age of 16 during my education at Bosch and used it later to play Amiga Kick Off 2 tournaments😊

It would work on the 2600+ too🕹

The RAP4 is USB, so it won't work on the plus, it is used on my retropie for Mega Drive, Mame, Mastersystem, C64, Spectrum, Amiga...😀

20210106_172806.jpg

20200603_145959.jpg

20221221_210856.jpg

Wow! That awesome @DEANJIMMY. Very Interesting! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WICO Command Control Joystick 

I just tried out the WICO Command Control Joystick on the Atari 2600+ with Missile Command. Works Great!

I placed the controller on the table for better performance. I set the controller to use the button on the stick. It was very responsive for Missile Command. Game play seemed to be better with the controller on the table rather than holding it.

This controller I purchased used, I opened it up cleaned the contacts and it works very well. I never had this controller back in the day.

I believe certain third party controllers work better for certain games. When I first got it I tried it on a few games but wasn’t really impressed with it. I felt the Atari controllers responded better. But I think it all depends on what game you’re playing.

IMG_0977.jpeg

IMG_0976.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

WICO Command Control Joystick 

I just tried out the WICO Command Control Joystick on the Atari 2600+ with Missile Command. Works Great!

I placed the controller on the table for better performance. I set the controller to use the button on the stick. It was very responsive for Missile Command. Game play seemed to be better with the controller on the table rather than holding it.

When I use the Archer joystick or twin stick, I put them on a table.  It makes it much easier to play that way.

• Like 1